About This File
Alternative download link: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZePVZCUPiuamo5S2JnSHpyamM
Aim of the mod
Natural Diversity is my attempt to make the world of banished resemble real nature more closely. I try to achieve this by increasing the realism of existing elements of the game, and by introducing new elements that I feel are lacking. Version 1.0 of this mod is only the start, and improves some aspects of the game’s natural environment. My plan is to continue development, and cover the other parts in future updates.
- This mod requires the 1.0.7 Beta version of the game.
- When copying this mod into the banished folder, it will replace the Natural Diversity Beta mod if you had it installed. This is intended, do not change the filenames as this will cause the mod to crash.
- This mod will require a new game in order to fully function.
- Load this mod above any other mods that alter the default start conditions or introduce new ones, such as CC.
- If you wish to use this mod together with mods that add resources that get spawned in the forest, such as Necora’s PineSet, this mod must be loaded below the other mod.
The most impactful aspect of this mod is the introduction of a new biome in addition to the forest that is already present: the meadow. Meadows will spawn naturally in the world from the start of the game (note: only when using the default ‘easy’, ‘medium’ or ‘hard’ start conditions). They mainly consist of ‘grass’, which gives ‘thatch’ as a material when harvested by the citizens. A ‘Collect Grass’ option is added to the menu for this. Thatch is needed to construct buildings with thatched roofs, such as the ‘Storage Barn’ or ‘Wooden House’, and can be used as a fuel by the citizens to warm their houses.
Furthermore, the meadows will spawn herbs, roots and onions. The latter two no longer spawn in the forest, as this is not their natural habitat.
Thatcher’s Shed and Thatcher profession
To be able to let citizens harvest and replant grasses automatically, the ‘Thatcher’s Shed’ is added to the game. It employs a maximum of two ‘Thatchers’, and has a work radius of 20.
Seasonality for natural resources
In unmodded Banished, all natural resources are treated as if they would not be affected by low temperatures, while in reality some of them would. With this mod, all Mushrooms, half the Herbs and half the Roots will die as soon as the temperature drops below 0 C (32F).
Though the other resources will not die, their appearance will change according to the season. In Spring, herbs and onions will grow flowers. In Autumn, their flowers will wilt again.
Many new models for herbs, onions, roots and mushrooms
One of my biggest points of critique for the base game is the lack of attention that was given to the models for the natural resources. Not only are some of them completely unrealistic (onions do not grow lying in bundles on the forest floor!), it is also rather boring to see the same model many times over. Therefore this mod introduces 24 new models for herbs, 6 new onions, 18 root variants and 12 mushrooms. These will replace the old models.
Their behaviour is as follows:
- Herbs will grow naturally in the forest or in the meadows. The annual herbs die if the temperature drops below 0 C (32F), the others only lose their flowers or decolour in Autumn.
- Onions will grow in the meadows, and lose their flowers in autumn.
- Roots will grow in the meadows, and the annual ones will die if the temperature drops below 0 C.
- Mushrooms will grow naturally in the forest, and die if the temperature drops below 0 C.
As mentioned before I intend to continue development on this mod, reworking other aspects of banished’s natural world and introducing more variety. Below is a list of features that I intend to include in future updates. If you have any ideas or suggestions, please share them with me!
- Reeds (growing on the water’s edge)
- More berry bushes, including an update to the blueberry
- Twigs and branches in the forest (for firewood)
- Updates to rocks and ores
- Extended production chain for thatch, to add more uses.
Information for Modders
Anyone who wishes to make mods that work together with Natural Diversity, for example to make use of the Thatch resource for buildings, is most welcome to do so. Below is a list of relevant filenames that are added in this mod, so that they can be referenced. In case you have questions about any specifics of this mod, feel free to contact me.
- Grass: Template/NaturalResourceNatDivGrass.rsc
- Annual Herbs: Template/NaturalResourceNatDivHerbAnn.rsc
- Meadow Herbs: Template/NaturalResourceNatDivHerbGrass.rsc
- Annual Roots: Template/NaturalResourceNatDivRootAnn.rsc
- Thatch: Template/RawMaterialNatDivThatch.rsc
The development of this mod would not have been possible without the help and support of many people in this wonderful community. Therefore I would like to extend my heartfelt gratitude to anyone who has ever written a tutorial, answered a question, given a suggestion, tested the Beta or has expressed their support for my work in any kind of way. You are a lovely bunch of people.
Furthermore, I wish to express a special thank you to @Necora and @Ketchup for the many times that they’ve answered my questions with lengthy and detailed explanations. Not only are they highly skilled modders, they are also kind and patient enough to share their sometimes hard-earned knowledge with beginners like me.
What's New in Version 1.0.1 See changelog
- Fixed a bug in which no trees would remain on the map after 50+ years.
- Reduced the filesize.