Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

DavidT

House Of The Rising Sun

Any thought on having a house of ill-repute? Could be placed near mines and whatnot in order to mitigate some of the unhappiness they produce.

1 person likes this

It's been thought of, but what would it actually do? Just a decorative building that gives happiness?

1 person likes this

Sure... possibility of a disease spreading in exchange for a large radius happiness buff.

"So and so died of 'Nasty Woman's Disease'"

Edited by DavidT

I had a few ideas about this, it could be a fun, PG addition, without having the red light lit, so to speak.  But I think it was just derailed ...

@Kralyerg what about a Card House, or ravamping a tavern for a "Pub", with beer garden etc.  Even a Gaming Hall etc.  

Might a suggest an edit to that post, at your discretion.

9 minutes ago, DavidT said:

Sure... possibility of a disease spreading in exchange for a large radius happiness buff.

Ugh ...  I have a good sense of humour, but, um, no.

3 people like this

We also suggested a playhouse as an alternative "happiness" building with the idea that the place provided entertainment like stage plays, puppet shows and the like.

1 person likes this

It could be something as simple as a puppet show in the village square. Happiness isn't really a problem (easy to provide) but more variety in buildings is always a good thing.

I'm not against a brothel (and mods are optional, so those who don't like it don't have to use it) but as Kral said, how would it work?

2 people like this

11 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

We also suggested a playhouse as an alternative "happiness" building with the idea that the place provided entertainment like stage plays, puppet shows and the like.

12 minutes ago, elemental said:

It could be something as simple as a puppet show in the village square. Happiness isn't really a problem (easy to provide) but more variety in buildings is always a good thing.

I'm not against a brothel (and mods are optional, so those who don't like it don't have to use it) but as Kral said, how would it work?

I really like this!!  Great ideas @KevinTheCynic & @elemental
Could have a Jack n Jill show, or more risque: Moulin Rogue (typo specific, (TM)(c)(RT) etc reasons); Puppetry of the Penis; Vagina Monologues; Burlesque; but our very own Phantom; Beauty & the Beast; Shakespearean displays, oh, the costumes ....  the splendor, I love it! 

And @elemental you're 100% right that mods are able to be downloaded by anyone, and you may have seen I'm an advocate for 'optional content', and for modders to feel their own art, but I just want to clear up any vagueness (I'd hoped to be discreet, but make a point), it wasn't so much the mod I had a huge objection to, it was the other comment.  

16 hours ago, DavidT said:

As to how it works, well, for those that run CC/MM there is already a "Bar Wench" ingame, add another building and use the same staff :)  Have it as a drinking hole primarily with some fun inoffensive name for the staff.

Don't worry, I realise exactly what you were objecting to. I had the same reaction.

1 person likes this

I don't see that there's an answer here to Kralyerg's questions of "what would it actually do? Just a decorative building that gives happiness?"  You can let your imagination run wild creating these kinds of things now.  Just take a pub/tavern (for the happiness) and create an outdoor performance area. Build a Journeyman House or an Old Boarding House and pretend it's a house of ill-repute.  Stick a well in front and it provides "happiness". Don't forget that "sex workers" assigned by the game can be as young as 10 or in their 70s and beyone, female or male. Honestly, I just don't see how a building implying a crime against women, men and children is "fun" or should provide "happiness".  

3 people like this

I wouldn't say that sex work is necessarily a crime (plus... it happened, and it still happens) but by pointing out the ages you just made it super creepy. :S

A seedy tavern with a questionable name could be fun, but now I think I'll pass on the brothel.

2 people like this

54 minutes ago, estherhb said:

Don't forget that "sex workers" assigned by the game can be as young as 10 or in their 70s and beyone, female or male. Honestly, I just don't see how a building implying a crime against women, men and children is "fun" or should provide "happiness".  

Had the devs any control of the age for workers, that's a whole different conversation, but they simply can't.  And I agree wholeheartedly about the young age group (the older ones, they're on their own, they can defend themselves).  

If nothing else (I stopped to wonder if this was a legit request anyway), it's opened up a new conversation :)

I've been wanting a theatre for months :D:D:D

Edited by QueryEverything
2 people like this

A building that is "just a decorative building that gives happiness" is fine by me. I play the game as a city builder more than the survival type game it was originally meant to be so decorative buildings fit in with what I want. I don't want to pretend that a boarding house or tavern is a theatre/playhouse, I want a building that actually looks like a theatre.

All very selfish of me I know xD

We already have lighthouses that provide happiness and I find these of minor use due to the small areas of water on the maps but a decorative theatre building can be used for almost any town.

2 people like this

17 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

We already have lighthouses that provide happiness and I find these of minor use due to the small areas of water on the maps but a decorative theatre building can be used for almost any town.

The theaters I've seen from Colonial America look a lot like 2-story houses - with maybe a bulletin board on the front. What are you picturing? Any pictures you can share may motivate someone to mod one :)  

BTW, the lighthouses are functional; not just decorative items that bring happiness. Red Ketchup's Lighthouse is a town hall and kid1293's Gay Head Lighthouse is a home.  

1 person likes this

I was thinking of medieval/renaissance era European, rather than colonial era America. At the time of Shakespeare, the first permanent theatres were constructed in London and were of two types, indoor theatres (AKA halls or private playhouses) and outdoor theatres (AKA amphitheatres or public playhouses). The indoor theatres are obviously little more than a hall but the first indoor theatre in London was originally an inn converted for the purpose. The following image is plan of a modest theatre that could serve a smaller community - credited to John Webb, 17th Century architect although it's very similar to a theatre designed by Inigo Jones (also a 17th Century architect), to the point that it seems to me that perhaps it's been incorrectly attributed to Webb: -

Untitled_11.png

A model of Inigo Jones' theatre: -

cas486h.jpg

The most interesting one in my opinion is also probably the best know and is an outdoor theatre - the Globe Theatre in London. Probably better suited for a large town.

The model of the Globe in this image appears to be the first Globe, when it was made with a thatched roof (because they couldn't afford the more expensive tile roof). It caught fire and burnt down and was then rebuilt with a tiled roof.

THE_GLOBE_FINAL_rt_uczloq.jpg

And the lighthouse I was thinking of is from Necora's Maritimes mod.

1 person likes this