Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

206 posts in this topic
3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

so it is a no go, unfortunatly

The DirectDraw Surface container file format (extension DDS), is a Microsoft format for storing data compressed with the proprietary S3 Texture Compression algorithm.

You'd probably need more proprietary MS stuff to work with it... :ph34r:

Posted (edited)

@Bartender I am very excited by the berry bush.

If I may ask, when you have a successful berry bush, that you like, may you please release the bush as a 'ghosted' decoration, so I can plant in my sheep pens :D
Sheep go crazy for berries :D:D:D  Please?

Also, whilst this is not my blackberry bush, it is similar, I will see if I can get a photo of it in a few days :D

http://weeds.dpi.nsw.gov.au/WeedImages/Details/197?NoWeeds=13

Edited by QueryEverything
1 person likes this

Very nice bushes @Bartender :hand1:

This mod becomes more wonderful day by day!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

@ Bartender.New - can be nice to have?Hazel,Without black,Rowan,Black cherry,Juniper ,Hawthorn ?

396_Juniperus_communis_L.jpg

800px-Lüneburger_Heide_006.jpg

billberry.jpg

depositphotos_1701649-stock-photo-wild-juniper.jpg

Huckleberry 1.jpg

Huckleberry.jpg

bush Blackberryl.jpg

bush raspberry.jpg

cranberries.jpg

red berry in the forest.jpg

-summer-raspberry-blossoming-bush-with.jpg

5197344_berries.jpg

Trees and shrubs.jpg

Edited by taniu
1 person likes this

@Bartender Flower:Dthank you

field flowers.jpg

Meadow in flowers.jpg

meadow.jpg

Spring in the mountains.jpg

sunset.jpg

Trees and flowers.jpg

1 person likes this

That looks beautiful indeed! Thanks for the suggestions @taniu, you are saving me a lot of time searching for pictures ;)!

Posted (edited)

As roughly a week has passed since my last update, here's v1.1 sneak peek #2! I'll try to do these once a week, to give some insight into the development proces and to gather some feedback while I'm working.

Currently I'm doing some exploration into several new directions, just to see where the ideas take me. I will use the results of this exploration to decide what the scope of the next update is going to be, after which I can work out those ideas in more detail.

Where last week was a week of berry bushes, this week my main focus was on another plant that is high on my wishlist: Reeds.

Reeds.thumb.png.fbfec1e676ba0eabf32c50e3377b300b.pngReedsW.thumb.png.c46c54c9b54ab9ab11d8755437e728a2.png

As you can see in the pictures, these reeds will grow on the waters edge naturally. I don't intend to have them grow along all the riverbanks; there will be some with reeds and some without. I'm still fiddling a bit with the spawning behaviour, but I'm already pretty happy with how natural it looks. As for all my resources, I intend to make several different species, for a nicely varied environment.

Thatch changes?
I'm currently in a heated debate with myself about how to deal with the resource for reeds. One of their main uses in the real world ofcourse is for thatching as well, but I feel that both grasses and reeds giving the 'thatch' resource directly would make it even more difficult to attain a healthy balance.

One idea I have is to create a production chain for the thatch: Instead of directly receiving thatch from harvesting grasses or reeds, you would receive 'grass bundles' or 'reed bundles'. These would then need to be processed by a new building into 'thatch', that can be used for construction.

A nice advantage of this change would be that these 'grass bundles' and 'reed bundles' could also serve as a basic resource for other new production chains (for example paper or wild cereals from grasses, or fishing equipment from reeds). A disadvantage could be that it becomes harder at the start of the game to obtain thatch and start building.

Updates to old models
The last thing I've been working on this week is to do experiment with some improvements on the models of v1.0. @Necora and @Ketchup kindly suggested and explained to me the concept of multi-materials, which enables a whole new range of possibilities to make their behaviour even more natural. This means for example that on top of losing their flowers in winter, my herbs will also be able to have swaying leaves, and to get snowed under in winter. I'm not sure yet how exactly I am going to make use of this new technique, as I am still trying to figure out some new tricks with the Material files, but I'm pretty confident that I will manage to improve the old models conciderably for v1.1.

Herb06W.png.cecee042044e9498f83550b2d6702671.pngMushroom03W.png.e95562010085db411d261b8146f93300.png

Edited by Bartender
4 people like this

3 hours ago, Bartender said:

Reeds.thumb.png.fbfec1e676ba0eabf32c50e3377b300b.pngReedsW.thumb.png.c46c54c9b54ab9ab11d8755437e728a2.png

Wow @Bartender!!! Your work is really amazing!

I can't wait to try the version 1.1 !!!

I agree with the new production chain (I like complex chains with multiple possibilities xD ) and I want to use your thatch in the next versions of my mod ;)

Edited by despo20
4 people like this

@Bartender.I am happy that Banished is getting more beautiful. You have great talent, I do not, I do not know about modeling, but I can spiritually support you, I thank you for working hard on models. I'm glad to help you @Necora and @Ketchup and thank you too.I am sending you new photos about reeds, water and flowers, maybe something will help.:D you

arundo_donax Cane species.jpg

grass zebrinus.jpg

grass-reed41021313211034.jpg

reed 1.jpg

reed in the pond-2.jpg

reed4.jpg

Illustration reed.jpg

2 people like this

4 hours ago, despo20 said:

Wow @Bartender!!! Your work is really amazing!

I can't wait to try the version 1.1 !!!

I agree with the new production chain (I like complex chains with multiple possibilities xD ) and I want to use your thatch in the next versions of my mod ;)

Please, not all of the buildings @despo20 just some, so we can play around with different building requirements :)  

@Bartender they look fantastic!  My only request (in case you may have forgotten), is that the reeds are compatible with the CC version, just so the existing production chains are intact with their version.  (The work around is building their reed farm, but then you end up with 2 different 'reeds' ingame, and it could be like my omelette disaster the other day, odd eggs, hahaha) :D

@Necora I saw the picture below and immediately thought of you and the river & water effect ...  it's sweet isn't it?? (I was just referring to the watermill, then I scrolled back and this little pond called to me as well.) ;)

( @taniu thank you for the inspiration :D:D )

2 hours ago, taniu said:

@Bartendre. water and flowers :D

_Plants over water Kanada.jpg

Plants over water.jpg

2 people like this

17 hours ago, QueryEverything said:

Please, not all of the buildings @despo20 just some, so we can play around with different building requirements :)  

Ok ok, just a few buildings xD ;)

Edited by despo20
2 people like this

@Bartender I very much like the idea of using reeds and grasses to make a bundle that's then used to produce thatch.  I am like despo20, I like production chains that aren't too simple. I prefer a more complex/sophisticated production chain as a game challenge over the methods used in some other city builder games (where the challenge is to reach x number of population or build x number of houses etc. etc. so that you can unlock the next level or some special building).

I completely understand @QueryEverything's desire not to have every building need thatch because it makes it more difficult at game start but I have a different approach in that I'm using tents provided by various mods for early game housing. I don't know how to strike a balance between these two different approaches to early game while using the thatch resource except for perhaps having some really simple housing in your mod e.g crude huts that use grass or reeds. Then the player can at least provide housing for the citizens while collecting enough thatch to make the more complex homes.

Like QueryEverything I too saw that little watermill and thought "I'd love that in game" so @despo20 if that's going to be a new project for you, I'll add my "yes" vote for it!

Example of a grass hut (Southern Africa)

15363482.jpg

Examples of reed huts (Peru)

2775336243_586ea79788_z.jpg

2 people like this

I do like that mill. I have a few mills on the go at the moment, nothing quite that small though. I was tempted to make one for the pine set but just don't have the time. @despo20 if you're gonna do that one... how about make it small and compatible with the new river decoration set... it would be really cool to have a mill for that set! If it was made to sit in a -0.25m or -0.50m setting, you could style a mill pond behind it and have it empty eventually into a stream or river.

Edited by Necora
3 people like this

Maybe have some placement tiles, but the part over the water (about 3/4 of it) could be ghosted, so it can be placed on any surface, like the dock pieces. :)

@Bartender @Despo20. Thatch - roof cover made of straw or reed on high roofs. Currently he is experiencing the renaissance in regional construction (inns) as well as in residential construction.New photos: reeds from australia, houses, bower ,wells from thatch, log houses,  tub:D

thatched-cottage-village.jpg

thatched-cottages.jpg

reed-bundles-reed-packs-phragmites-australis-phragmites-communis-AM14PT.jpg

reed australis_schilfrohr.jpg

phragmites-seed-head-late-fall.jpg

Phragmites_australis__common_reed__HD_tpf_179_1_img.jpg

phragmites_australis.jpg

Phragmites_australis__common_reed__Export_tpf_179_1_img.jpg

cottage.jpg

cottage1.JPG

16678.jpg

20150805_160602.jpg

fota2.jpg

link_1aku51bSLQa9JisbYqYsqLsehRr3lxVD,w300h223.jpg

navala_fidzi.jpg

well.jpg

suahili-bania-.jpg

Russow_027_sien.jpg

11.jpg

Edited by taniu
3 people like this

The sentiments towards the thatch production chain seem to be universally positive, so I'll get working on that :).

On 22-4-2017 at 11:17 PM, despo20 said:

You are absolutely welcome to use it ofcourse! You will need some files from my mod to get the thatch to work, so let me know when you're ready for it ;).

On 23-4-2017 at 4:07 AM, QueryEverything said:

They look fantastic!  My only request (in case you may have forgotten), is that the reeds are compatible with the CC version, just so the existing production chains are intact with their version.  (The work around is building their reed farm, but then you end up with 2 different 'reeds' ingame, and it could be like my omelette disaster the other day, odd eggs, hahaha) :D

I will make sure that they are compatible ;)!

11 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

@Bartender I very much like the idea of using reeds and grasses to make a bundle that's then used to produce thatch.  I am like despo20, I like production chains that aren't too simple. I prefer a more complex/sophisticated production chain as a game challenge over the methods used in some other city builder games (where the challenge is to reach x number of population or build x number of houses etc. etc. so that you can unlock the next level or some special building).

I completely understand @QueryEverything's desire not to have every building need thatch because it makes it more difficult at game start but I have a different approach in that I'm using tents provided by various mods for early game housing. I don't know how to strike a balance between these two different approaches to early game while using the thatch resource except for perhaps having some really simple housing in your mod e.g crude huts that use grass or reeds. Then the player can at least provide housing for the citizens while collecting enough thatch to make the more complex homes.

I quite like the fact that Banished doesn't have any of these 'artificial' progression steps indeed. I also agree with you that there needs to be some solution for housing in the early game. Some cheap housing options that do not require thatch is a good idea, and so far I haven't been able to think of any other way to solve this. I'm not sure if my skills in designing houses will be good enough for this, but I will make an attempt.

3 hours ago, taniu said:

@Bartender @Despo20. Thatch - roof cover made of straw or reed on high roofs. Currently he is experiencing the renaissance in regional construction (inns) as well as in residential construction.New photos: reeds from australia, houses, bower ,wells from thatch, log houses,  tub:D

Thanks for the inspiration again! Those pictures of reeds will serve me well :).

2 people like this