Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

336 posts in this topic

but gtx 950 is a very very good card... alot better than mine !

i have a gtx 750ti

1 person likes this

@QueryEverything Sorry, I don't have access to my pc right now. But the settings are 1920x1080, DX11, full screen, vsync and everything else at max. Graphics card is Radeon R9 380X. 

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Wow, that's a lot of things to reply to :P! Thank you for I'm sorry that we haven't been that active currently. @despo20 is having a very busy time at his job, and I'm spending my summer trying to find a new one. Essentialy we're both a bit caught up in this game called Real Life. Ultimately it's the one that beats all other games, so please forgive us for neglecting the modding a tiny bit these days. I'm sure we'll be back in full strength soon, though probably after the summer ;).

On 18-7-2017 at 2:59 PM, Banished&Used said:

More like a general thing, but there seems to be some medium zoom level, where the grass disappears.

From zoomed out, to zoomed in. Initially there is grass visible, it becomes less and less, then it gets more visible again. Is this intentional?

23 hours ago, grammycat said:

I also have the disappearing grass when zoomed out.

On 22-7-2017 at 3:26 AM, QueryEverything said:

@Banished&Used I had the same zoom imagery with the grass as well, at one stage it disappeared, then came back.

I put it down to my system and my game settings, that it just simply wasn't 'dense' enough for the game to show me the grass on screen.  

I will check my game settings, but for comparison sake - would you be able to post a screenshot of your game's video settings, please?  So we can see if it is a way that the game has been setup?
Menu/Options/Video

Otherwise, possibly something that @Bartender could answer - husband* took a look, he suggested that it could be a couple of things, which I will PM Bartender about, but because it may be something in our settings first, let's check them - whilst I PM Bartender. :D

*husband is a software developer with 2 decades developing simulators, so he's not a Banished expert, but he does help where he can on 3DS & texturing answers :D

This is an issue I'm aware of, and unfortunately, it's the best I could do given the circumstances. The problem is that the grass needs to be detailed enough at the closest zoom level in order to look good. If you zoom out however, it becomes smaller and ultimately dissappears. This was the case in v1.0 of the mod. From a visual perspective this wasn't that bad, you wouldn't be able to see every single blade of grass when looking from an aeroplane either. Gameplay wise I found it a problem however, since it's quite important to see what resources are available in a certain area without having to zoom in.

*This next paragraph gets a bit technical, my apologies.*

My solution was to create several detail levels for the grass textures. There is only one way in which this 'MipMap' type of solution can be made to work in Banished as far as I am aware, which is to assign them to specific LOD (Limit of Detail) models. This is what you see when the grass suddenly reappears: at that point it transitions to a new LOD model with a less detailed texture so that it shows again in the game. Ideally, I would make enough LODs so that these transitions would go smoothly and unnoticable. However, Banished only supports a maximum of three detail levels. If you look closely, you will see that the grass goes through a transition twice, from one to two and from two to three. I tried to make these transitions go a bit more smoothly by making different instances of the grass that shift at different zoom distances, so that the change is not too abrupt.

Unfortunately, there isn't really any perfect solution that I see at the moment. I chose for the current approach because I feel that gameplay quality should be more important than visual quality. If the general opinion however would be that the grass fading out after some distance is not a problem, then I wouldn't mind changing it back.

Another possibility would be a complete redesign of the grass, for example in the way that Red made his grasses. This would add a lot of polygons to the models however, and would probably make the already existing performance issues much, much bigger.

On 21-7-2017 at 10:43 PM, stiles said:

i actually think that rebellious crop addin is causeing the spawning of those berries. at what year do you start to notice the blueberry spreading and taking over? i dropped my game back to the original nat div due to the lag times.as a added note ,KEVIN, when you do the screenshots,it is nice to show some stats sometimes. say like population and housing stats or a long food graph. i post mine at WOB. right now i am working to use all my mods in 1 map.

As Query correctly pointed out, there is no link between the berries and the rebellious crops mechanic. We've already determined before that the Berries are caused by a conflict with Necora's Pine mod (the berry bushes you see in his screenshots are from that mod, not from NatDiv). This will be fixed in the final release of NatDiv.

Edited by Bartender
3 people like this

I'd just like to say once again, that while the abundance of blueberries is due to the interaction of a few mods that includes Natural Diversity and appears to be unique to my specific mod collection/load order, this is not because of Natural Diversity. The root cause seems to be with the Pine mod and Natural Diversity has simply allowed a dormant problem within the Pine mod to became noticeable. If I ran my game without the Pine mod, the blueberry problem would probably not exist.

@Bartender is being very generous & considerate of us, the players, by offering to fix a problem that is not even in his mod.

1 person likes this

I thought it might be a mod feature, and it's certainly not a deal breaker.  Considering how much grass is on the map, higher polygons might make the mod unusable for those with lower end systems and make large/huge maps impossible in bigger cities.  Your mod makes for much more challenge in an early game-coming up with the thatch-so it's definitely a keeper for me.

2 people like this

@Bartender thank you very much for your answer :)  I know I appreciated it, it makes sense, and am relieved it's not a bug :D

Don't be in too much of a rush fix the Blueberries, we may never find out who wins the Battle of the Poyens, then what will @KevinTheCynic be able to regale us with, and what will his pumpkins do?  The suspense... the drama ... we must know that battle ... !!

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Bartender said:

Another possibility would be a complete redesign of the grass, for example in the way that Red made his grasses. This would add a lot of polygons to the models however, and would probably make the already existing performance issues much, much bigger.

i am so sorry ^^ i have a Ryzen7 16 cores boosted at 3650Mhz with 32gRAM. i cannot technically feel what other little pc can feel :S

You don't have to be sorry :P! Your grasses are beautiful, and for your mod they work perfectly. It's just that NatDiv spawns so many grasses, that using a similar model would result in way too many polygons ;).

1 person likes this

With the new fish trap and reaper's boat, apart from quay buildings, they are the only ones which you can use on small streams and they look gorgeous. However they both don't produce much. Are they more designed as an aesthetic building, which combines workplace&bridge?

Getting 200-300 fish and 20-50 reeds per year.

fish output.jpg

Hey @QueryEverything you still around? Something interesting that I just discovered about my problem with blueberries. It only occurs on the [CC] Very Large map size, I have been testing a few mods on the vanilla Large map size and there is no problem with blueberries at all. Because I am basically greedy I have been using the largest map size I can get which just happens to be the Very Large size provided by Colonial Charter. So the blueberry problem is a little more complex than I first thought, it seems to be a combination of some of the mods I have PLUS the Very Large map... quite strange really as I would have thought the map size would not have any impact on the natural resources.

EDIT: another point of interest that I would think has no bearing on the problem but ya never know... I am using a vanilla climate and not the CC climates I usually use.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
adding info

are  you sayin you use the banished PLUS mod???  most of that mod has been included in the updates to banished so the mod is obsolete.i quit using that due to issues though i can't remember what it was causing. i stopped using the new nat div and dropped back to the original.the lagtime was way too much.

@stiles I don't have the Banished PLUS mod, it made some things just a little too easy and so I have never used it for all the time I've played Banished. As mentioned, when I use the Colonial Charter Very Large map size I have a problem with overspawning blueberries but if I use the vanilla Large map size I don't suffer that problem.

However it might also have some relationship with the use of Colonial Charter climates - I've often used the CC temperate or tropical climates. I'm just guessing here but perhaps the milder climates from CC increase the percentage chance of all plants (and specifically blueberries) growing or the length of the growing season etc. etc.? It's something I'm going to test soon. In terms of how the game works for plant growth, I can understand the climate choice having an effect, we have seen various mods that adjust the growing cycle of plants due to season/climate so the more I think about it, the more it seems plausible.

I just have to test it to see if it actually holds true. I quite like the newest version of NatDiv so I'm reluctant to drop back to one of the earlier versions. If I keep getting overspawning bluerberries on CC Very Large map but when using a vanilla climate, I'll reinstall an earlier version of NatDiv and try that but I still haven't seen anything to make me think that NatDiv is causing the problem (the blueberries that are causing the problem are not from NatDiv).

AARRRRGHH!! 

God how I hate microsoft some days. Between my last post and this one, I got some updates for Win10 (in the sneaky way that MS does it these days). Whatever they did has now caused Banished to crash every single time I try to load it. It was working fine two hours ago and now it's not and the only thing that's changed is that I cleared some space on my hard-drive and MS snuck in some updates.

Now I get the Fatal Access error everytime I try to launch the game. :face29:

Banished :hand1:

Microsoft :hand2::hand2:

i hate those updates. i usually turn them off. i wish they would quit making new versions of windows,makes no sence except so you have to buy a new comp constantly. i have many games that will work on the old XP but do not on the win 7. good luck fixing that mess.

you must have a good system to run the new nat div without lags.it slowed everyones games down so far. my bannies started to crawl and skip. i do miss some of the ideas to expand and spinoff mods from the new version. i agree with your thinking on the blueberries,odd that it only happens to CC large and not other maps.

1 thing that was strange with yours is how after so many years you had no trees.i have a forever tree mod but that just stops the trees from dying and falling over.my seasonFX shouldn't be affecting it because it is below the nat div to give a different crop field texture. trees still re-spawn along roads and in areas of the map that have not been cleared.just moving around the map i notice my forrests get thicker. it still  makes me wonder why you had areas with no trees at all.even as trees die new should have spawned to make up the difference.

Where i can download newest version of natural diversity? I got older one.