Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

329 posts in this topic
16 minutes ago, Bartender said:

I feel that it's important that there is no confusion as to what meshes might give what resource, which could become a problem if I also do a Rootiversity and don't make a clear distinction between the meshes for both. I'm thinking I might go for flowering plants only for the herbs.

Amazing!!! :o:o:o

I agree with you. Flowering plants only for the herbs can be a good solution :hand1:

1 person likes this

These look beautiful. Flowering herbs or non-flowering... either way is good.

2 people like this

without changing the game functions, how hard will it be to override the way the various vanilla plants look? is it a matter of just changing some graphic files?? curious to hear how you plan to dd these to the game. is your plan to continue and redo all plants???

off topic, but I found some gorgeous little daffodils here the other day :)  Little bright buds of joy :D

Keep up the fab work @Bartender

@stiles it is the same as changing the trees, very easy to do, you just redirect the modt kit at a certain time to look for your models rather than vanilla ones. For example, for herbs, the NaturalResourceHerb file has a list of model files (actually, only one) so you make a copy of this, put it in a mod, change the list to your models, and keep the name the same. Then when the game loads it, it will over write the same name file in the game and show your new models instead of the vanilla ones.

@Bartender they are awesome models. How did you get the texturing and how many polys does each one have?

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, Necora said:

they are awesome models. How did you get the texturing and how many polys does each one have?

i am curious too

Posted (edited)

Thanks for all the kind words!

@stiles It is indeed as Necora says, nothing more complicated than adding one line of code per mesh into the template. I already have all of these working ingame.

I'm currently only focusing on those area's where I feel that there is a lack of diversity, which are mainly the wild growing resources. I don't plan on replacing the trees or the crops for example. I will be looking at other ways to improve the natural feel of the environment though, so I'm not excluding anything either.

@Necora @Ketchup For the most part I get the textures from photographs of flowers, leaves and stem, which I then cut out, polish and simplify. For common plants such as these it's pretty easy to find free pictures to use.

As for the polys, I managed to keep most of them under 200, which I guess should be more than ok. The only ones that are perhaps a bit steep are the seedbearing dandelions, as I used two spheres to make each flowerhead. The 3-head variant has over a 1000. How many polys would you guys say is too much for a mesh like this?

Edited by Bartender
1 person likes this

personally i find it very hard to keep them under the 1000 poly ^^

but there is 2 things i dont know how to do ...

and i am waiting and hoping @ShockPuppet comeback in here because i think he knows and me i really need to learn :

how to make things "swing" with the wind....

and how to make them lose their leaves in winter (and changing colors in spring/autumn would be great too)

the things is 2 years ago , before i start to make mods... i had 0 knowledge of 3D, really absolutely no knowleadge at at.

so i never had teaching lessons in 3D design.

Posted (edited)

Nice work @Bartender! I think you can get the poly count down by using semi transparent textures instead of modelling the whole leaf. Check these links:

http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/1024-texture-transparency/

http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?topic=1184.0

And one more thing: I also want @ShockPuppet to tell us how to make plants look different in winter!

Edited by jesta

Posted (edited)

Hi guys,

So @Ketchup I am by no way any good at modelling and am still figuring it out but I might be able to help you with the swaying of the leaves. I managed to do it with my trees and was very excited to see them sway in game. It is down to your UV maps. If you look at the model of the fig tree example, it has 3 UV channels. 'UVChannel_01' is your texture mapping, 'UVChannel_02' is your AO, and 'UVChannel_03' is the swaying. 

I'll show you the spruce tree. So we have three UV channels for our tree.

Spruce01.thumb.jpg.718adb135d0e73d978b326effbbf7eba.jpg

The first UV channel is for the texturing. In this tree, I've used two materials, one for bark and one for branches. I've scaled the tree trunk rather large to make the bark look detailed... in vanilla trees it is very stretched.

Spruce02.thumb.jpg.5631d8369663445aeba41b561be3b3ca.jpg

The second is for the AO. I've used the 'Smart Project' unwrap to get this, then baked the OA.

Spruce03.thumb.jpg.356590893d877dfaae82ba3828155a91.jpg

The third UV channel is for the swaying. There are two things to note. In this, I have used 'Reset' unwrap to make all of the branches a square, piled on top of each other, filling the whole UV map. My branches in this example are only 1 face each, I've not yet tried doing more but that is what I want to do next.

Spruce04.thumb.jpg.e5c336529f922b8b94af7054d66b2f71.jpg

If we zoom in on this one, that dot is my tree trunk. This makes it not sway in the wind! I added this channel last, so the only way I could do this was to scale the UV coordinates down until they were all on one spot.

Spruce05.thumb.jpg.7805f3306d9393f94ab27961421e1769.jpg

And that is pretty much it.

As for the leaves dropping, I think this is the 'BillboardMaterial' that is referred to in the 'Models/MaterialInstance/FigTree.rsc' of the example file...

MaterialInstance resource
{
	Material _material = "Material\Billboard\BillboardMaterial.rsc";
	Texture _textures
	[ 
		{
			String _name = "diffuse";
			ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\MaterialInstance\FigTreeTexture.rsc";
		}
	]
}

I used this for my maple and aspen and the leaves appear in spring, sway, always face camera, and disappear in winter. Again, I think this reads the 3rd UV channel, so you have to have the tree trunk at 0'0'0 otherwise it will also sway and disappear... maybe. I might go to 2 materials for the maple and apsen to make the leaves look better because I don't like how they look in game at the moment.

Oh and the billboard material also makes them change colour in the autumn... it made mine change and I never did anything for it so it must be this.

There is a camera, target, and armature in the scene of the fig tree example, I have no idea if this does anything, but I decided to keep all of those things in my files just in case.

As for the Spruce, that uses the 'Models/Trees/MaterialInstance/PineTree01.rsc'  from the Resource file in the mod kit.

MaterialInstance resource
{
	Material _material = "Material\Foliage\FoliageMaterial.rsc";
	Texture _textures
	[ 
		{
			String _name = "diffuse";
			ImageBuffer _texture = "Models\Trees\MaterialInstance\PineTree01Texture.rsc";
		}
		{
			String _name = "snow";
			ImageBuffer _texture = "Terrain\TerrainSnowTexture.rsc";
		}		
	]
	Constant _constants
	[ 
	]
}

I think the 'FoliageMaterial' makes them sway but not disappear and grow during the seasons.

@Bartender I agree with @jesta, I don't think you need spheres. Try using a dome instead? You could probably cut out some faces and not loose any visual detail.

Edited by Necora
2 people like this

@jesta Thanks for the advice, though I am already using transparency for the textures ;). Modelling those fern leaves would have been a hell of a work otherwise.

@Necora That seems cool! Though maybe we should continue that discussion in the thread that Ketchup made about it? I think a lot of people might want to know about this, but they wouldn't go and search for it here. I do have some questions and comments to add, but I'll keep those for the other thread ;).

1 person likes this

@Bartender good point, I copied it to the other discussion

2 people like this

Awesome! This is going to make a great addon pack, I can't wait to see it. Are you going to be doing bushes and things like berries?

Okay I'll have to piggyback on your topic after that withering flower. I'm planning a mod with houses that have thatched roofs and want reeds to be a resource required to build them. But i don't like how reeds grow in colonial charter. There are a few plants here and there and they are always green but there should be a pretty much unbroken belt of reeds at least around the lakes and some more along the rivers aswell. And they should whither and disappear in winter. More like this:

Chs%23Luftbild-Herreninsel_grossesSchilf

Any chance?

15 hours ago, Bartender said:

Time for another sneak peek! Thanks to Necora's excellent explanation of how the BillboardMaterial works, and after some fiddling with the code by myself, I have managed to add a neat little feature. The flowers will now emerge from the ground in spring, and will wilt and wither again in autumn.

OVDWn.jpg

https://webmshare.com/play/OVDWn

Whoa!!! :o

This is absolutly amazing!

1 person likes this

Thank you all!

@Necora Yes, I have already worked a bit on a better model for the blueberry. I'm thinking of simply renaming the 'blueberries' resource to 'berries' and adding a lot of different meshes, rather than cluttering the storage with a lot of different types of berries.

@jesta I don't know exactly how they managed to get the reeds to be spawned close to the water (i have tried to do something similar but with no succes), nor have I looked much into spawnrates myself. The withering is possible though, either with the BillboardMaterial or with the material that I created for my flowers, depending on what kind of mesh you want to go for.

@Bartender between you and @Ketchup wild banished will never look the same again.

I tried to get things to spawn by the water, by changing the float _minHeight and maxHeight to - something, but could not do it. However, I was using them with a forestry tower, and so I think it ignores it. I have yet to try changing the start conditions (or which ever one it is to change the wild resources) for which I might have more luck.

Personally, I like the idea of a new resource for different bushes, I like a mix of wild resources rather than 'berries'.

Any chance of making some chanterelles?

hmm i think i understand part of that idea. we have strawberry,rasberry,black and blue berry bushes all producing 1 type of berry. when harvested or gathererd what will we get?? blueberry?? there are times the game reads "berry" as blueberry. some of the taverns produce ciders or ales say they use berry but they only use blueberry.just wondering if this will confuse the game?