Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

193 posts in this topic

we cant take too much attention about the name "berries" because in english , everything has the name berries in it... but they are really totally different things.

in french they are : fraises, framboises, mures, bluets...... and all in their names are totally different spelling.

in english everything is "berries" ^^ "straw"berries,  "rasp"berries, "black"berries, "blue"berries..... ^^

You guys are all quite right, thank you for the suggestions!

@Necora I'll see what I can do on the Chanterelles, If I can pull of an acceptable mesh for it they would be a nice addition to the Fungiversity!

@stiles The game indeed refers to the blueberries as just 'berries', so if I were to add other types this would have to be changed. It wouldn't pose any problems as long as I make sure to distinguish between them correctly.

@Ketchup Indeed, we have the same distinctions in Dutch. Most of what is commonly refered to as a 'berry' in English is actually not even a real berry in the botanical sense. Blueberries are, but strawberries and blackberries for example are not. Inversely, tomatoes and eggplants are commonly refered to as vegetables, while botanicaly they are berries, and thus fruits.

I will give this berry conundrum some thought, though for the moment you have convinced me that specifically naming all the different types might be the best way.

wont distinguishing between multiple berries break some of the production chains? they need "berries" after all...

@jesta no because the file for 'Berries' is RawMaterialBlueberry.rsc, just for some reason Luke named them berries in string table for the consumption selection menu for the tavern etc. Who knows why, but as far as the game is concerned they are blueberries. There are many really annoying naming issues under the hood. Logs are an example, the string for the resource is 'logs' yet the template file is 'RawMaterialWood'. It uses the wood storage flag but he logs limit. Why could it not be all called wood or logs?!?!?

alright, that IS rediculous. i dont think you answered my question though: new kinds of berries wont be usable in those recipes. or am i wrong? i really havent looked into that part of modding banished and should probably leave it to the experts... :)

Posted (edited)

It is true that other berry types would not be able to use the same recipes, they would need separate ones.

And indeed, the coding seems a bit messy in some places from what I've seen so far. I guess Luke never really considered the possibility that other people were going to have a look at it.

Edited by Bartender

depends how you set up your natural resource files. if you point toward the same raw material, they will produce the same thing.

i like the idea of consolidating all the berry fruits into just berry overall. it would make the menus less cluttered . if it didn't mean changing and rewriting all the codes for CC and other mods, it would be a good idea. we pick strawberry,rasberry,blue/black,etc but they could all work as berry. then the preservist would use any berry to make jams. way it is now,we have to manually tell the building which berry to use. if it runs out of blueberry, it stops working until we change which berry it is to use. happens with yogurt,bakeries,etc. however i don't think a berry can be coded to be universal and used as any berry. the only fix i see would be to recode everything which isn't practical. we need more limits and flags already. lol

would be nice if the game did allow this though. like make stew=1 meat +2 vegetables= whatever meat the banis have they throw into pot and add what vegetables they have to it. sadly we have to manually tell them which foods to put in the pot. interesting idea but i think we are too late to the party on this 1.

@jesta ah I think I mis-interpreted your question and so answered something different haha. Thankfully other more observant souls have answered it properly. So only something called 'RawMaterialBlueberry' will work in current (vanilla) recipes. Any more berries will need new recipes added to them. But IMO, variation of raw materials is fantastic, and it is not hard to add recipes to existing buildings. I personally like the variation in raw materials, but then generic secondary or tertiary products. So I want cider, and I want to be able to make it out of pears, apples, blueberries, raspberries, but I just want it to produce cider, I don't see the point in also having apple cider, pear cider etc. that will be too much. I've added a few mushrooms and berries and things. I think it makes the game more interesting and you can tailor the natural environment and resources to certain regions (such as maritimes) if you want. 

'm not drinking with NECORA if he adds mushrooms to his cider. yukk

4 people like this

1 hour ago, stiles said:

'm not drinking with NECORA if he adds mushrooms to his cider. yukk

it is better than add a big ugly old toe LOL

Hmm, cider with mushrooms does sound rather disgusting. You guys raise good points that compatibility with other mods would also be something to take into account. The plot thickens!

20 hours ago, stiles said:

sadly we have to manually tell them which foods to put in the pot

Yeah, personally I think that this whole foodmania has taken a wrong turn - my feeling, when I look at the bloated inventories (traders, townhall etc.) that can even slow down a computer. In the end it all boils down to fruit, vegetable, grain and protein...

I really hope that at some point all these kitchens and recipes and stuff become optional add-ons or companion mods... An occasional special item in a production chain is okay and useful, but I'm really tired of scrolling through congested menus with hundreds of food items to pick the few I can process further.

But that's just me. Again. :ph34r:

1 person likes this

It's most certainly not just you @Paeng! I personally feel that adding possibilities to the game is nice as long as it also adds to the actual gameplay value. There is most certainly an optimum for this, after which it just becomes a cluttered mess where you can't find your way through all the options. I guess this optimum is different for everyone, but for me personally most mods tend to overshoot on this. I simply prefer a concise and well balanced game over a bloated one that lacks focus. With my mod(s), I will try to find the right balance for this based on my own perception, which will probably be on the conservative side when it comes to adding options.

1 person likes this

24 minutes ago, Paeng said:

I really hope that at some point all these kitchens and recipes and stuff become optional add-ons or companion mods

Which kitchens and recipes are you talking about?

59 minutes ago, elemental said:

Which kitchens and recipes are you talking about?

All these places where peeps can "cook" different "meals" and such... I don't mind kitchens and pubs per se, but I do mind that their ingredients bloat the things traders bring in - like x types of fruit, x types of berries, x types of vegetables, x types of grain, and so on, just look at the food trader's list in a well developed town... :)

I don't want to micro-manage recipes where I need [bananas+asparagus+oats] to make a "meal"... and in turn the traders trying to accomodate even the most exotic tastes with whole boatloads of stuff nobody really needs or can possibly process. That's why I'd prefer to have such things in addons... ;)

Posted (edited)

but it is still something alot of people are asking around all the time. often you see people trying to make 1 million meal based on what today the see when they go make their grocery ^^

just take the eggs. lately people suggested like 100 recipes to make everything with eggs. and their always talk like it is a must and even necessairy to do it :S

Edited by Ketchup

2 hours ago, Bartender said:

It's most certainly not just you

Thanks!

I hope you did not feel my comment was directed at the "Natural Diversity" project, far from it... :)

PAENG the way to fix all this would be like unravelling christmas lights or knots from a ball of yarn after 2 cats played with it for a week. it would take undoing half the game codes. plant and grow and harvest all types of crops. once those are stored they become vegetables,protein,grain,and fruit. or do we split it 1 step more: meat and seafood,green vegetable root vegetable,tree fruit berry?

i agree it would unclutter many menus. i wouldn't wish all the recoding on anyone.and i am sure it would cause many debates.

I'm guessing a mod or mods could be used to simplify some foods - similar to the way there's a mod that simplifies Clothing. I've never quite understood the huge assortment of food available only through trade. On the other hand, if you over simplify food, I would feel like I was playing "Banished for Idiots". :)