Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

326 posts in this topic

Oh and if you could write a list of all of the different spawn values and what they do that would be great ;)

6 minutes ago, Necora said:

You added a spawn to the natural resource rock to make the grass work? That is... odd.

Very odd indeed. When I tried it without this it gave me an error that signified that there were too many entries in the list for WeakResourceDescription in StartConditions.rsc, indicating that Luke might have put a hard cap of 3 entries on that. The only thing I can think of is that the fact that the fourth template gets called somewhere else too, somehow mitigates this error.

as for the spawning variables, I'm taking notes of all my research, so once I got them figured out I will share my results ;)

12 minutes ago, Bartender said:

I'm taking notes of all my research,

As a scientist you'd think that I do the same... but I'm terrible at that.

So you said that if you remove the naturalresourcegrass from the weakresource list, then it doesn't spawn? What happens if you harvest all of the rocks on the map, will grass eventually stop spawning?

1 person likes this

I'm loving your work here, anything that increases the diversity of the landscape is good in my books.

1 person likes this

9 hours ago, Necora said:

As a scientist you'd think that I do the same... but I'm terrible at that.

So you said that if you remove the naturalresourcegrass from the weakresource list, then it doesn't spawn? What happens if you harvest all of the rocks on the map, will grass eventually stop spawning?

I hated keeping a lab journal during my studies, but I'm a very forgetful person, so nowadays I take notes and make lists of literally everything ;).

This is a good question by the way, I hadn't thought of testing that! I just did, and even after removing all the rocks and waiting for 5 years, the grasses were still spawning naturally. Their behaviour also doesn't seem dependent on the rocks, I regularly get big meadow areas with no rocks close by.

@Feneris Thanks! That is exactly the philosophy that's behind this whole project :)

I'm following the conversation with interest!

But unfortunately I don't have enough knowledge of the game code to be of help :|

I'm rooting for you guys! To improve the game more and more ;)

1 person likes this

I'm a little late to this, but I can shed a little light on the WeakComponentDescription problem.  The CC "Wild Things" map has like 30 things listed there, so there's no actual cap.

The game won't compile things that are *only* listed in the WeakComponentDescription list.  Normally, if you have, say, a building that you list in your mods Resources file, when it's compiling, it sees that your building is referencing the things its producing and it compiles those as well. So you don't have to list every single item in your Resources file.

But, for some reason, it kind of ignores the things listed in WeakComponentDescription.  So when you try and load that starting condition, it's looking for something that isn't there.  But then, when you added it to the Rock spawn, it does see it, because it does go through the Rocks file and sees the other files it references.

So, to fix this, all you need to do is to add your NaturalResourceGrass.rsc to the list in your mods Resources file. Then it will be compiled correctly and you won't get that error when you load the map.

Did that make any sense at all? :)

4 people like this

Haha, I knew there should be an easier way to do this! And at least this one makes total sense. Thanks for the explanation @Kralyerg :)!

Forest food suddenly sounds much nicer than it previously did. You got a like for the puns alone. I'd give you another for the pics if I could. :)

2 people like this

It matches vanilla perfectly. But where will your thatch be used?

1 person likes this

23 minutes ago, elemental said:

It matches vanilla perfectly. But where will your thatch be used?

I would like to use it as a construction cost :)

3 people like this

Currently its only use is as a construction material indeed. The vanilla buildings that have thatched roofs (such as the wooden houses, storage barn, etc) and the new thatcher's shed will have it as a requirement.

@Discrepancy it would be great to have other mods using the thatch as well! I will make sure to share the relevant information about filenames and such upon release.

Posted (edited)

It would be great to see other mods use it. I guess it makes more sense for some buildings to need thatch rather than iron. Pity there is a limit of only 3 different building materials per building though.

I don't know a lot about thatch, but aren't some water reeds used as thatch? Could be interesting to have a reed farm (bigger than the CC version) that grows reeds/thatch. Another job for @Discrepancy, maybe? Or if you are both interested in a reed farm, perhaps the two of you could collaborate on it.

Edited by elemental

The most basic buildings in the game only require materials that can be gathered off of the ground by laborers. I think it is important that those do not require another structure to manufacture anything.

3 people like this

Actually that's a very good point. Didn't think of that. But thatch could still be a building material for buildings other than basic vanilla.

2 people like this

11 hours ago, Bartender said:

Currently its only use is as a construction material indeed. The vanilla buildings that have thatched roofs (such as the wooden houses, storage barn, etc) and the new thatcher's shed will have it as a requirement.

@Discrepancy it would be great to have other mods using the thatch as well! I will make sure to share the relevant information about filenames and such upon release.

Someone has come very (very) late to the Vikings (tv series) party and I've been looking at the beautiful buildings, and did some googling for some other ideas, and came across some amazing buildings, and went further afield to other Iceland, and primarily icy countries and have seen some gorgeous places where they are covered in thatching, hay etc and they would be stunning recreated in Banished.  Not to mention some of the outer areas of England, Scotland and Wales, the beautiful Medieval buildings, still standing now, still with thatched roofs.  
Hubby is Welsh and we took the 'locals tour' of the UK when we were there 10 years ago and the scenery was divine!  And the beautiful farmlets with the large houses, and smaller out buildings etc ...  

Yes please, thatched cottages :D:D:D