Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

326 posts in this topic

Looks great @Bartender I'll download in work and give it a run this evening with the maritimes stuff... can't wait to see what beauty has been created!

can we get another link for this mod? i use an older browser so can not get dropbox to show up. thanks be glad to run some tests.

Alright @Bartender *cracks knuckles* lets give this a go!

So... as noticed over at WOB, the mod crashes when used above the Pine Set in the load order. Pine Set needs to be 1st, with Natural Diversity 2nd and it seems to run OK (in my limited testing so far).

Things are beautiful...

NatDivPine1.jpg.570b419b7f369d794e1e1d083c8af8b8.jpg

NatDivPine2.jpg.89cd7056ae3444b7448e4c8cc9798db0.jpg

I need to try the zoom hack to get the real beauty of it all though.

I didn't think I would, but I do like the requirement of thatch for the vanilla buildings. I wasn't sure about altering those, but it does make them more interesting and it is rather easy to come by so it is not like you suddenly can't build a gatherer straight away because of lack of thatch. So bonus points for extra realism.

A couple of things... did you intend for anything to sway in the wind? If you could make the grass sway in the wind, it would be really cool. It looks quite static right now next to the trees. It should be just a case of adding another UV channel to the grass, depending on what material you use for it. You could also do it for the flowers, that would be cool.

Also, in the thatch building, do you know you can change the icon for the resource limit? At the moment it is the standard bricks, but you can customize it to be the small icon for thatch. Some might like the standard limit icon there, but I really like customizing the limit icon in each building UI to the main output of that building. If you want, here is the code from the lobster boat that makes lobster the icon... it is the labelDescription labelLimit part of the UI code at the bottom of the template file. Change the last two lines, linking to your sprite sheet rather than the new limits one.

LabelDescription labelLimit
{
	Alignment _alignment = MidLeft;

Font _font = "Font\FontSmall.rsc";
	int _imageWidth = 20;
	int _imageHeight = 20;
	int _spacing = 4;
	LabelPosition _labelPosition = TextRight;
	Alignment _textAlignment = MidLeft;

StringTable _stringTable = "Dialog/NewLimitStringTable.rsc:gameDialogs";
	String _text = "FoodLimit";
	SpriteSheet _spriteSheet = "UI/NSInshoreSpriteSheet.rsc";
	String _spriteName = "Lobster";
}

One of my forest blueberry bushes made its way into your meadow, along with a couple of apple trees...

NatDivPineBlueberry.jpg.1bf886b58c29997e1ce83518bf462e6c.jpg

I love that my chanterelles look like they oould be from the same pack as your mushrooms!

NatDivPineChanterelle.jpg.fbed20b4a113bb8406b428db233ad4e8.jpg

And the fiddlehead and apple trees go nicely on the forest/meadow edge (if you can make it out in the shadows).

NatDivPineFiddlehead.jpg.13d8469ec14e6abf938367a2a55beab0.jpg

That is all I got for now, I'll do some more playing!

Looking fantastic.

4 people like this

Having a little pity party cos there aren't any Domesticated Animals showing in my barns ... 

Idiot ...  new start conditions. Hahaha!!

Feel free to laugh at me ...  I did :D:D:D 

1 person likes this

I did a little test.

Very nice! I love it!

Also the building and the resources in stockpiles are great :hand1:

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Thanks for the kind replies everyone :D!

I love those screenshots @Necora! I'll give them a try together when I have the time to play. And like your suggestion about the resource limit icon, I will do that.

EDIT: as for the swaying, I'll see if that is possible. The problem is that for these models the Billboard effect doesn't really look nice, and I haven't yet been able to figure out how to change the code to get swaying and withering, but not the billboard effect.

Edited by Bartender

yeah it changes how the mesh looks like in game :( totally not the same as was intented before without the billboard :( i ve got to adapt and redo things

Yes it's quite difficult to predict its behaviour, especially on meshes that require exact placement of elements.

@Necora I have tried to use the FoliageMaterial on my grasses to see how it would look, but it's giving me this error:

FoliageError.png.6a222b35640615402dc0a293c04062fa.png

Have you ever had this one?

@Bartender I've had that error many times. It is one of the ones that I end up just re-writing a load of files because I can never figure out exactly what caused it. Actually, I was getting this crash then I had foliage material and billboard material for different parts of the same mesh. That was all that I changed, one material from the standard opaque material to a foliage material. I have no idea why it gave it to me, because this is something you should perfectly be able to do. Sorry, I can't help much but just keep trying things.

Also, have you played around with the UV on the billboard material? I use it for my leaves for the aspens etc., and after a lot of messing around they now look just how they should in game. I project view from the top, move the lay out over 0'0, then scale it around until it looks right in game.

1 person likes this

Thanks! I have tried what you said, and after fiddling a bit with my UV I got it to work!

I have another question though if you don't mind :P. How do you use multiple materials on one mesh? This would be really nice to use for some of my herbs

bah when you assign a texture to a box/plane/cylinder/sphere.... you click and assign ? you do same with other box/plane/etc to another .png....

and at the end you mix everything up in one single mesh (blender has its own way and menu as 3dsmax do too on its way)

and then in your materialInstance folder, you have a .png .rsc and a Texture.rsc file for your 1st texture, you do the same file with your 2nd textures (you can have 200 of these .png .rsc. Texture.rsc , there is no limit)

1 person likes this

@Bartender I don't have time to write now, but will reply this evening. Unless you figure it out first, or Red tells you (he told me!).

Posted (edited)

Meanwhile I'm getting v1.0 ready for full release.

If nothing else comes up, this will be the changelog:

• Grasses will now sway softly in the wind, and get frosted in snowy conditions.
  • Grasses will grow slower, and take longer to harvest. This will decrease the productivity of the Thatcher's Shed.
  • The Thatchers have complained about leaks in their shed. The roof of the Thatcher's Shed has been replaced by a wooden one, and it no longer requires thatch to be constructed. This makes Thatch obtainable in start conditions introduced by other mods.
  • The resource limit icon of the Thatcher's Shed has been changed to match the Thatch icon.
  • Thatch is now also useable as a Fuel.
  • Food and Herbs are no longer destroyed when harvested by labourers, to avoid conflicts with other mods.
  • (internal) The resource files that this mod adds have been given a 'NatDiv' prefix in their name, to avoid conflicts with other mods.

The new thatcher's shed:

ThatcherNew.png.fe0d556ded45d1664442ce7e4bd0315e.png

Edited by Bartender
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

Natural Diversity v1.0 is now available for download! It can be found here:

The promised Light version (visual updates only) is available too:

Edited by Bartender
2 people like this

Did you get the multi materials working?

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Yes, I tried today and it worked! It's going to take quite some time to redo all my meshes I'm afraid, so I've put that on my list for a future update. It will enable me to add much more detail to their behaviour though, so I'm a happy man :). Thank you guys!

Edited by Bartender
2 people like this

@Bartender congrats on your release. :)

May I bother you and ask if you can please also add a fileshare link, either dropbox or google drive?  I am having issues trying to get the file, i'm in a 'patchy' connection error presently and can't get the file intact.  

Happy Easter, and thank you again.

:D