Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

326 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

10 hours ago, Bartender said:

Yes, I tried today and it worked! It's going to take quite some time to redo all my meshes I'm afraid, so I've put that on my list for a future update. It will enable me to add much more detail to their behaviour though, so I'm a happy man :). Thank you guys!

multi material at the end will give you more, more details for less megabytes. the more often , here and there, everywhere, you use the same little pieces of 128, 256, 512 pixels and more you save to compare using the big big 1024x1024 or 2048x2048 huge single materials. specially if you have alot of details, a 2048 isnt even enough to compete with the litlle 128-256p :)

Edited by Ketchup
2 people like this

Posted (edited)

Gah ...  it can't just be me?  Right?
*sobs

;)

20170417 NatDiv error.jpg

Edited by QueryEverything
wrong screenshot :(
1 person likes this

nope it isn't. best i got was 95%. tried 2days.

1 person likes this

I'm sorry that you guys are experiencing problems! I added alternative download links to the descriptions on the download pages, referring to google drive. Here is the one for the full version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZePVZCUPiueHdPcnRHbGtQQzA

I hope it works like that!

@Ketchup That's true, I hadn't even thought of that. being able to reuse parts of textures is going to be a huge optimization!

1 person likes this

1 minute ago, Bartender said:

I'm sorry that you guys are experiencing problems! I added alternative download links to the descriptions on the download pages, referring to google drive. Here is the one for the full version: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-ZePVZCUPiueHdPcnRHbGtQQzA

I hope it works like that!

@Ketchup That's true, I hadn't even thought of that. being able to reuse parts of textures is going to be a huge optimization!

Thank you, and just like that, *clicks* I have it :)  Will hopefully get some game time tomorrow to load it :D
Thank you :D @Bartender :D

1 person likes this

sometime the game is acting very strange about these .pngs and mono-multi textures....

i dunno whatis the problem and if/if not a % of png is counting for something or not.

let me explain myself with an example.

if you have a 256x256 texture. and the game is rendering right this little 256x256 as it is.

and then you make a 512x512 texture and you take this 256x256 as it is and put it in a corner of this 512. an exact copy/paste of it along with other things you need elsewhere, on ohter pieces of your house...

normally , we should think the rendering in game should be the exact same (since it is the same 256x256 melted inside a 512x512) ?? bah no, when i tested it, the quality wasnt the same :S 

the texture became as not precise it was and was a bit "blurred" :S i never understood !.

i never put the 256x256 inside the 512x512 and rescaled it back to 256! (which would have made the original 256 down to 128 !!). No, it was still a 256x256! but the quality in game was different

like it 256 of 256 = 100% and 256 of 512 =NOT 100% anymore lol

never understood ^^

1 person likes this

hmm, that seems odd indeed! The good thing for me is that my plant meshes are so tiny ingame that resizing the textures doesn't make any noticeable difference, but I'll keep this in mind for any future work where it would!

@Bartender your plants are so beautiful, that I wish, we can get a deco-version too. :D:face56:

@Ketchup is import a .png-file the only one option or is ist possible to import a .dds-file too? I ask because in SIMS sometimes is it similar. In Photoshop the is the image clear ans sharp and after import as .png is it in game very blurry, without rescale or so what. And when I'm exporting and opening this file in graphic-program again, it is also blurry.  Just with .dds-import or -export I haven't this problem. So .png isn't always the best choice. Sry for my bad english. :$

1 person likes this

there is a lite version,ANNI. i have not tied it as my understanding was it would do away with the grass.i like the grass look but wish it wasn't harvested and fill piles.though it is a WIP and may be more needed as this mod is expanded.that is not a complaint.

1 person likes this

@anni71Haha, I think that would get very confusing when using the two mods at the same time! I might look into it at some point though ;).

Meanwhile, I am overjoyed with all the positive attention that this mod received after I released version 1.0. While the suggestions for improvements are rolling in (which I am very glad to receive too!), it is time to seriously start thinking about what the next update is going to bring. Ofcourse there will be optimizations, fixes and updates of what is already there, but the most exciting part would be the new content!

Therefore, I present the first sneak peek for v1.1: the Berry Bush.

Blueberries.thumb.png.b8228bc006127f103e89533420c68fdb.png

Some of you may have wondered why the berry bush is the only plant resource that did not receive an upgrade yet in v1.0. The reason for this is that I was unsure of how to approach this in the most realistic way. Aside from visuals, there are two issues that bother me in the original berry bush.

1. Berries can be harvested year round, while the bushes should not have fruits in winter.
2. When villagers harvest the berries, they cut down the whole bush.

Now the first problem could be resolved by making the berry bush die in cold weather, but this would not be realistic either, as berry bushes are perennials and live several years. The second problem is one that is hardcoded into the game; resources simply get destroyed the moment they get harvested. A few days ago I finally found the perfect solution to both problems, partly inspired by how DarkBibou handled the wild fruit trees in his Tree of Life mod.

In summer, this new Berry Bush will drop berries on the ground, which can be harvested by the gatherer. In winter, The Bush will lose its leaves, and will not drop any berries. The bush itself can be harvested too, but will only give firewood.

BlueberriesDrop.png.ca71375750d214b56fb50af88798dd2a.png

BlueberriesW.thumb.png.e35d89c0706dd6eeab9c2a4fc6bc4d54.png

4 people like this

1 hour ago, anni71 said:

@Bartender your plants are so beautiful, that I wish, we can get a deco-version too. :D:face56:

@Ketchup is import a .png-file the only one option or is ist possible to import a .dds-file too? I ask because in SIMS sometimes is it similar. In Photoshop the is the image clear ans sharp and after import as .png is it in game very blurry, without rescale or so what. And when I'm exporting and opening this file in graphic-program again, it is also blurry.  Just with .dds-import or -export I haven't this problem. So .png isn't always the best choice. Sry for my bad english. :$

i have no idea if a .dds will work but i know something, you are not obligated to only choose .png, the game accept more format than hust one. jpg works, tga works, bmp works....

but i cannot tell if the .dds works though.

it accept more than one format, but a rule though is clear: it only accept images with sides in pixels of 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048.

1 person likes this

@stiles, I know. The lite version is it, what I'm using. What I mean is, the flowers (poppies, camomille, echinacea? asw.) are so beautiful, they would be nice for flower beds. 

@Bartender, not as the same source, so as to avoid complications or confusions.  It doesn't have to be today or tomorrow. It would be nice to be able to have it as a deco, someday. :x It can't be enough deco flowers, bushes and trees in game. :D

Btw. the Bushes are soo nice too! :hand1:

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

i have no idea if a .dds will work but i know something, you are not obligated to only choose .png, the game accept more format than hust one. jpg works, tga works, bmp works....

but i cannot tell if the .dds works though.

it accept more than one format, but a rule though is clear: it only accept images with sides in pixels of 32,64,128,256,512,1024,2048.

DDS files have been specially designed for textures in games. I have not been involved in Banished myself, so I asked you. And yes, 32, 64, 128 ... etc. are the common sizes for the maps. ;)

1 person likes this

@Bartender so the bush is now a tree that spawns fruit? Nice idea, do you include it as another tree line or as a separate thing like the grass?

Also, I think what @anni71 is getting at is ghost decorations either included in the mod or as stand alone. To be honest, I don't think you'll be able to get away for very long making such cool things without making them into ghost decorations ;) 

2 people like this

7 minutes ago, Necora said:

Also, I think what @anni71 is getting at is ghost decorations either included in the mod or as stand alone. To be honest, I don't think you'll be able to get away for very long making such cool things without making them into ghost decorations ;) 

Exactly what I mean! :hand1::D

22 minutes ago, anni71 said:

DDS files have been specially designed for textures in games. I have not been involved in Banished myself, so I asked you. And yes, 32, 64, 128 ... etc. are the common sizes for the maps. ;)

i dont know... i need to find a .dds and test it in game

20 minutes ago, Necora said:

@Bartender so the bush is now a tree that spawns fruit? Nice idea, do you include it as another tree line or as a separate thing like the grass?

Yes, in a sense it functions like another type of tree. I tried to see if it was possible to have resources that are spawned by trees spawn something themselves in turn, but I couldn't get that to work. Therefore these will indeed be a separate spawn entity like the grass.

Haha, well let's avoid the riots then. The idea hadn't really occured to me, but I can imagine that it'd be nice to have. I'll add a Decorations Pack to my list for v1.1 :).

1 person likes this

10 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

i dont know... i need to find a .dds and test it in game

i just tested : i used Paint.net and exported 1 of my .png to .dds and i changed the codeTexture.rsc file to search for a claypit.dds instead of claypit.png ... and gave an error : cant find the image file.

so it is a no go, unfortunatly :(

1 minute ago, Ketchup said:

i just tested : i used Paint.net and exported 1 of my .png to .dds and i changed the codeTexture.rsc file to search for a claypit.dds instead of claypit.png ... and gave an error : cant find the image file.

so it is a no go, unfortunatly :(

Oh, that is sh.. :(