Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

despo20

Despo begins to modding :-)

137 posts in this topic

@despo20 so how did you take the snow away? Add black to the alpha channel? Does this effect the shadows in the summer?

Posted (edited)

Thanks @Ketchup. but my experience ends where yours experience starts. Blender is totally new for me (I like to learn new software); UV mapping and Ambient Occlusion are used in a different way in game design. Not to mention the code!!! I've a lot to learn from you.

For the timing... I do not know exactly how much time I spent on it. I started Monday

I just completed this week the final design of an airport terminal on the job, all in 3D modelling...

I work on this small house in the breaks to relax ^_^

33 minutes ago, Necora said:

@despo20 so how did you take the snow away? Add black to the alpha channel? Does this effect the shadows in the summer?

@Necora I don't use the alpha channel. I simply painted on a new upper layer with multiply overlay.

In summer it seems just a little dirty or worn.

H20House_wip12.jpg.290a1334a9c00560106d34a6ae834495.jpg

Probably on a white or light colored surface it can be much evident.

I used RGB 50,50,50. 100% black is excessive.

You can use also the alpha channel, but don't use a 100% black.

Edited by despo20
4 people like this

I like the worn patch it gives to the door on the deck there

1 person likes this

Guys I need your help again!

Now that I have completed the changes and I'm happy with my first house, I'm ready to package the mod.

And... error!

error.PNG.95ad8a24e25917e1e9fb9565fdcb3618.PNG

What could be the problem?

The Build.bat work properly without error messages

5 hours ago, despo20 said:

D20House_wip7.thumb.jpg.af40f71ff17db1150e8383b82e9cdc43.jpg

@Bartender I look forward to your Natural Diversity Mod. Mushrooms in the snow are a bit... unrealistic, to say the least xD

I'm working on it ;)!

This building is looking better and better! I have a little question: how do you guys change the colour of the alpha channel of an AO or texture? I feel that it's messing up some things for me with semi-transparent textures getting white edges, but I don't understand how to solve it.

1 person likes this

13 hours ago, despo20 said:

Guys I need your help again!

Now that I have completed the changes and I'm happy with my first house, I'm ready to package the mod.

And... error!

error.PNG.95ad8a24e25917e1e9fb9565fdcb3618.PNG

What could be the problem?

The Build.bat work properly without error messages

Make sure your mod folder name (D20House) is the same as the toolbar file name (D20House.rsc) and also the Package.rsc file has the same name at the top "PackageFile D20House"

Also I sometimes get that if I haven't edited the .bat files with the correct file names.

I think I use mods from all of the modders who have made replies in this thread and with the look of that building @despo20 I'm going to be adding another name to the list very soon! :)

I'm also one of the people who likes buildings with odd angles, nooks and crannies so I'm really looking forward to your ideas for future mods.

3 people like this

20 hours ago, despo20 said:

Thanks @Ketchup. but my experience ends where yours experience starts. Blender is totally new for me

@Necora I don't use the alpha channel. I simply painted on a new upper layer with multiply overlay.

Blender is new for @Ketchupaswell. :) He can give you all the help you need in 3dsmax though!

Aaand somebody figured out something new regarding AO. Great! I'll be home from my 2 week vacation tomorrow and i cant wait to start putting everything i learned to good use.

Oh, and... Gorgeous house!

1 person likes this

On 3/23/2017 at 5:23 PM, despo20 said:

D20House_wip2.thumb.jpg.4e1e1690b1d7dbfaebf5b87c741ced8b.jpg

Beautiful model!

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Thanks a lot to everyone! :$

Thanks @DiscrepancyI'll try to solve with your suggestion ;)

On 24/3/2017 at 7:11 PM, Bartender said:

I have a little question: how do you guys change the colour of the alpha channel of an AO or texture? I feel that it's messing up some things for me with semi-transparent textures getting white edges, but I don't understand how to solve it.

@Bartender probably the alpha channel doesn't fit well with the texture, or the texture itself can have white edges. I'll try to show you how you can modify it.

I use photoshop in italian, so the commands in screenshots are in italian. I hope to translate them in the right way.

A. For this example I cut out a sunflower;

A.thumb.jpg.0f21a8d375ed53684402019ec90bb567.jpg

B. Like in the Ketchup's tutorial on WoB, switch to channels (1) and add a new channel (2) Alpha 1;

B.thumb.jpg.7b427525a0247520e6f32b10e4590fa5.jpg

C. The new channel is 100% black. (black = transparent, white = opaque). Light on the RGB channel by clicking on the small square on its left (3) and come back to layers (4);

C.thumb.jpg.8741a7ff9b20cc05ebe706bc87798690.jpg

D. The red filter shows the alpha channel superimposed on the image. Red = black (you can change the color by double clicking on the miniature of tha Alpha 1 channel, if you don't like that :D . But it's only a visualization, It doesn't act on the image).

Left click + ctrl on the layer miniature (5) to select all the visible pixels of the layer (our beautiful sunflower!);

D.thumb.jpg.458309bf47639898aab0c0ae8aaa118f.jpg

E. switch to channels again and make sure that Alpha 1 is selected. Open edit menu (6), select Fill (7), use white (8) and click ok (alternatively you can use a white brush, but "Fill" is faster and more precise);

E.thumb.jpg.fcd789d26f36c4878f0e8475c6aaec08.jpg

F. Now our alpha channel is ready. (red = trasparent, colored = opaque).

But if the image is a cut-out image from the web, it can be not properly cutted. It can have white edges.

F.thumb.jpg.7fb7bc8a54b758f65b5fb0871815d92b.jpg

G. We can improve the cutting in this way. Reselect all the pixel of the image (in case you had deselected it), open select menu (9), select modify (10) and contract (11).

2px of contraction should be sufficient. Click ok (12);

G.thumb.jpg.aae7d77c9e3965bf2e394c8d11a0a7fd.jpg

H. open again the select menu and click Inverse (13) to invert the selection. Repeat step "E", but this time use black to fill the selection;

H.thumb.jpg.feb3f2febce9902cc820c73633b75d7e.jpg

I. zooming in we can see that now the red covers a bit of the image. We increased the transparent area.

I.thumb.jpg.36f454f2712610211edcb304d94bf01d.jpg

J. We can use the same selection to cut properly the image. Select the RGB channel (14) and press Delete key.

J.thumb.jpg.139db04bb3a05d171cdf17c821201617.jpg

K. To ensure that there is no white border you can create a new temporary layer, place it below and fill it with black.

K.thumb.jpg.1c611985dea708816b24d43e13bcd058.jpg

N.B.1 : The alpha channel can also be modified by using the brush or other tools, in the same way of the "main image". So you can use the black brush to refine a part of the alpha channel without problems. The only difference is that the alpha channel works in grayscale.

N.B.2 : To edit the "main image", RGB channel must be selected in the channels palette. To edit alpha channel, Alpha 1 must be selected.

N.B.3 : In the alpha channel black = 100% transparent, white = 100% opaque, and the various gray levels correspond to different levels of semi transparency.

However I don't know if Banished use grayscale or only the B/W on/off system. I don't have knowledge in this.

I hope I've answered your question. Ask me again if it isn't clear or if this isn't what did you want to know ;)

Probably I said some things that might be obvious, but might be useful for someone (or at least I hope it xD )

Edited by despo20
3 people like this

Posted (edited)

16 hours ago, Discrepancy said:

and also the Package.rsc file has the same name at the top "PackageFile D20House"

You got it! xD

Thanks again @Discrepancy!

EDIT:

Ok, it works properly.

Now I have to understand how the Community Toolbar works.

Edited by despo20
1 person likes this

Thanks for the great explanation @despo20! I'll try this and let you know the results ;)

Photoshop is the best! I use it for years to work and hobby.

It worked! Thanks again @despo20!

left is before, right is after.

before-after.png.060524bad2d35726dfc9c4253a487c26.png

Photoshop is amazing indeed. I have been messing around with it for quite a while, but I'm still discovering new things every time.

4 people like this

Great! I'm glad to have helped.

I love this community. Very creative and collaborative ^_^

4 people like this

Community Toolbar = done! :hand1:

58d84d9e87090_D20House_communitytoolbar.jpg.5d4905931902e4be66d446d3aadac18d.jpg

Now it's time for the second house!

I want to build 3 or 4 houses before releasing the mod, so in the meantime I can improve my first model with what I'll find out.

I have another question for you modders: How do you put several buildings in one single mod?

I'm sure you have discussed and explained it somewhere here or on WoB, but I haven't found it  :|

2 people like this

@despo20 love the buildings :)

Where the dirt is in the footprint will you have that as road tiles, or blank, so we can place road tiles or decorative pieces there? (please :D:D)

Can't wait to try them out :)

1 person likes this

44 minutes ago, despo20 said:

I have another question for you modders: How do you put several buildings in one single mod?

It is simply by making another template file for the building and all required model files etc.

In your DespoMods/D20House/D20House.rsc file, you can simply add another toolbar call section like this:

Toolbar D20House2  // this needs to be called up in your D20HouseResources.rsc file like the first entry
{    
    Toolbar _parent = "Game\D20toolbar.rsc:Housing";    // this calls up your community game/toolbar button
    int _sortPriority = 200;    // change this number to set the location of this button in the toolbar.

Action _action = Tool;        
    ComponentDescription _tool = "Template/D20House2.rsc";        // this creates the link to the building template file.

bool _autoHotKey = true;  
}

as long as you are calling up all building like this you should have no problem.

If you are referring to adding more than one building as an F-key variant,

you will need to create a similar template file to the WoodHouse.rsc or StoneHouse.rsc in the modkit. Create the model and materialInstance files for each new house and then call up them files in the single template file like the WoodHouse.rsc.

I see you made your community toolbar, great job! :)

2 people like this

you just add a new line in your MyModResources.rsc like this :)

ExternalList resource
{
    External _resources
    [
        // toolbar - references building and everything else - nothing else need be listed here

"Japanese.rsc:JapaneseCherryTreeWhiter"
        "Japanese.rsc:JapaneseCherryTreeWhite"
        "Japanese.rsc:JapaneseCherryTreeRose"
        "Japanese.rsc:JapaneseCherryTreeRed"

"Japanese.rsc:JapaneseBambooTree1"
        "Japanese.rsc:BambooRoad"

]
}

2 people like this