Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Feneris

Wild Resources and Starting Conditions

Well, for the frogs and the turtles, you'd have them spawn from trees that would naturally be in a swamp. Mangroves maybe.

And yeah, I know the animals are not realistic to expect and deer are pretty much found everywhere. But it's still something to dream about.

3 people like this

2 hours ago, Feneris said:

Well, for the frogs and the turtles, you'd have them spawn from trees that would naturally be in a swamp. Mangroves maybe.

And yeah, I know the animals are not realistic to expect and deer are pretty much found everywhere. But it's still something to dream about.

Mangroves would be cool (for warm climates). Or water oaks. I believe those are in colder swamps. Swampy/Marshy areas around here have mostly maples (Ohio, USA is full of maples) and oaks. Weeping Willows too, but I don't know if those are native or planted by people.

Animals are certainly possible, just very hard to do and time consuming. Also expensive, in that I think many of the animated meshes have been purchased. You've always been good at suggesting things that could potentially be accomplished. (I mean that as the highest compliment.) *smile*

And at least deer are all over the place, so they fit into most climates and scenarios.

3 people like this

13 hours ago, Feneris said:

Or something along those lines. Each biome has a specific combination of trees that spawn and its own unique animals. (Though I realize those take time to make.) You then of course have specific foresters for each biome

Really cool idea, i like the idea of an "evolving" biosphere and resources which spawn sub-ecosystems.

Ive enjoyed cutting down only certain tress and thereby creating entire forest sections or town sections with a specific type of tree. So would follow that if i have only wild apple trees could spawn different resources than by having wild prune trees etc...

Conditional resources based on choices made in creating a town !

Further thought : a resource chain such that furniture made of cherry trees is of higher value etc., than furniture made from wild pine. Essentially branching out each type of tree much like a planted crop. no excuse for the pun...

Edited by thethirdapple
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, thethirdapple said:

Further thought : a resource chain such that furniture made of cherry trees is of higher value etc., than furniture made from wild pine. Essentially branching out each type of tree much like a planted crop. no excuse for the pun...

I while that certainly is possible, it's not exactly viable. (No matter how awesome that would be.) To go into that much detail with the wood types would involve a massive reworking of construction, firewood, and any other process that uses wood.

We do have something similar to that with the hardwood forester, but I think introducing hardwoods as a wild resource would cause too many gameplay problems for it to really work.

Edited by Feneris
Typo
3 people like this

On November 28, 2016 at 10:57 AM, Feneris said:

I while that certainly is possible, it's not exactly viable. (No matter how awesome that would be.) To go into that much detail with the wood types would involve a massive reworking of construction, firewood, and any other process that uses wood.

We do have something similar to that with the hardwood forester, but I think introducing hardwoods as a wild resource would cause too many gameplay problems for it to really work.

Adding it as a wild resources is a dangerous road to take, it could simply unbalance the whole mod, forcing choices on players.

Matching all elements of a mod to a specific climatic condition is best done as a single condition mod like Tom Sawer's "The North" on WoB, I think he even re-skinned the deer into reindeer. I know its a very good mod, but for technical reasons not CC or MM compatible. Asking CC to do that for all its starting conditions is both monumental, and goes against the inclusive nature of Banished modding.

3 people like this

8 hours ago, Denis de la Rive said:

Adding it as a wild resources is a dangerous road to take, it could simply unbalance the whole mod, forcing choices on players.

Matching all elements of a mod to a specific climatic condition is best done as a single condition mod like Tom Sawer's "The North" on WoB, I think he even re-skinned the deer into reindeer. I know its a very good mod, but for technical reasons not CC or MM compatible. Asking CC to do that for all its starting conditions is both monumental, and goes against the inclusive nature of Banished modding.

Oh no, not on the scale you are thinking about. I'm thinking more about organizing the trees at the start of the game in a more geographical manner. The way I understand it, wild resources are spawned by the trees themselves. Change the trees and you change the resources that spawn. That was how the Tree of Life mod worked. As a side effect, you can create a simulated biome by making certain trees spawn certain wild resources, and then making starting condition that spawned a certain mix of trees.

3 people like this

Well, it's true that different trees can spawn different things. At this exact moment, they all spawn the same thing, but it could be differentiated, with different starting conditions giving you different trees, and hence, different wild growing resources.

4 people like this

I'm confused about what we're talking about.  Converting tree sap into maple products and turpentine sounds like a normal process that would be done at a normal building. Not related to the wild growing things.

2 people like this

Exactly tree sap as the raw resource  collected from trees, that is converted by different buildings into different products, according to where it goes. It would simplify the production of maple products and prepare for other chains, I have researched. :)

2 people like this

Please just don't modify my fav starting conditon All The Wild Things   :(

The only change I would like to see it be given is maybe a Medium version of it (where the resources don't respawn as often or you don't get as many resources as you do on Easy when you start a new game).   ;)

On 2016-12-03 at 0:11 PM, Denis de la Rive said:

Exactly tree sap as the raw resource  collected from trees, that is converted by different buildings into different products, according to where it goes. It would simplify the production of maple products and prepare for other chains, I have researched. :)

So you mean like making barrels, distilling maple syrup, making lacquer, all being done by a generic sap resource that is converted at a building? I dunno, the reason maple syrup is so expensive is that you can't just do that to any old tree. I'd rather have sap resources be more specialized, at least for things like maple syrup and rubber.