Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

estherhb

Banished Beta version 3

I have it, I'm loading it ... waiting, waiting, waiting ... hahaha ;)

the way he said, shouldnt be long. we need to do a couple of mods with extended building list to see if people will get errors or not.

4 people like this

Ok, first feedback:

1)  Loaded into a very heavily modded, and busy map (I got a little debug crazy prior to the new debug, so you can only imagine what will happen to the poor map now!! haha), it's a very slow map, very heavily terraformed (and if I nearly write very heavily pregnant one more time ....) and it's got a lot of buildings on it - I was really testing the extremes on this map - AND - the upshot of it:  The beta ran without any hint of a problem!  Loaded it, not a thing wrong

2)  The Debug menu does work as advertised, I have far too many resources to get an accurate result for you - fear not - a blank map will be forthcoming sometime later today, if noone else has crash tested it

3)  @Ketchup had also asked about adding better zoom (talked about here), unfortunately closeups was not what I was testing in this last map this last week, so I don't have screenshots to compare with - SO - for those that haven't updated yet - PLEASE - PLEASE - take some screenshots, (save your camera location when doing so as well for ease of access), then update, then go back to that camera location, zoom in and screenshot again and see if there is any difference

Okes :)  That's all from me on this :D

20170613 Banished 107 - 170608 debug.jpg

20170613 Screenshot14.jpg

20170613 Screenshot12.jpg

20170613 Screenshot1 lush.jpg

20170613 Screenshot7.jpg

20170613 Screenshot8.jpg

4 people like this

Pretty cool about the more than 3 resources for building. Just curious if the BL team is thinking about a 1.8 Colonial Charter with all the recent modkit changes? :) 

The extra building resource option is a great addition. I do hope CC is updated to take advantage of this. Feel a bit sorry for the team though... so much work to change everything.

2 people like this

I'm not so sure this is a "great addition" if you are using CC.  I remember how it was before there were Building Supplies and Homewares.  There were lots of buildings that required something different.  When you went to build something, you never knew what special item you were going to have to go out and buy or produce before you could proceed. It could be frustrating.  By using Building Supplies, you were able to choose one recipe and stick with it and it took some of the frustration out of the process. 

I understand why those who are making mods that don't utilize Building Supplies would want this - especially as they create new products like Thatch. I'm just not sure CC should go back and change it's current requirements for construction.  Will have to wait to hear from the BL guys.

1 person likes this

Building supplies and homewares were a good workaround for the original limit of only 3 building materials. I know that some people hated it but I thought it was good. But now that the limit is gone (or soon to be gone) I do think that building supplies should just be replaced with actual building materials. But of course some people won't like that either, because of the reasons you mentioned. But I would definitely like to see glass used in the more advanced houses. They have windows, so they should need glass. Same with a big church - should need lots of glass.

Homewares on the other hand... I'd be happy to keep homewares as a generic building material. It's good that they are there because it adds realism, but it doesn't really matter if the homewares mystery box contains rugs or pots or furniture or whatever. At least that's my take on it. :)

It's interesting though that Luke has made this change after so long. Will he change anything else?

Luke made the change at the request of Red Ketchup. It was something that several modders had discussed at WorldofBanished.com.  

About the only building material I kinda miss not being there is glass. So yeah, I could see maybe some of the bigger buildings needing more stuff (thinking of cathedrals) but keeping basic houses and whatnot to simpler recipes

1 person likes this

the lowest building are kinda tricky though, cause having to start a few elaborate chains in order to get some windows, lumbers, construction kits just for building your first 2-3 house in game before winter .... it can be very hard.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Kerlyssa said:

About the only building material I kinda miss not being there is glass. So yeah, I could see maybe some of the bigger buildings needing more stuff (thinking of cathedrals) but keeping basic houses and whatnot to simpler recipes

Yeah - I could see that. Your majestic Cathedral is a good example. Would be nice to require Candles too which IMO are under utilized.  The additional building requirements are especially useful for standalone mods.

2 people like this

yeah thats a good idea :)

On 18/06/2017 at 2:58 PM, estherhb said:

Yeah - I could see that. Your majestic Cathedral is a good example. Would be nice to require Candles too which IMO are under utilized.  The additional building requirements are especially useful for standalone mods.

Glass, candles, and even furniture (the pews and alter). Making some buildings harder to build would really make them more of a meaningful achievement. A bit like a wonder. But of course basic buildings need to be easy to build otherwise things just get too complicated and hard.

It would be good to see some of the production chains already in CC put to more use by being needed in building production. A hospital for example could require furniture (beds), bedding, and maybe even a bunch of healing potions. A tavern could also require furniture and maybe even glassware or pottery. A boarding house (or at least the upgraded version) could need furniture and bedding.

2 people like this

one thing i've wondered about is if there's a way to make aura/radius of effect buildings consume resources. like a church need candles to function, a library needing book, etc. i don't know the emchanics of how happiness works, tho, so. .shrug. 

Started a new game last night, didn't notice any difference in zoom. New debug seems to work the same as old, I'm using MM 0.07 and CC 1.75.

I confess I did not try out the new options, as they are labeled custom0, custom1, custom2, etc. and I don't know based on their icons what they will make (mostly, the icons look like crop baskets...) Is it that I have to go somewhere and set what I want them to be? 'cuz sometimes I would give my eye teeth for some hemp...

Application-steam-x64 2017-06-20 23-26-46-407.jpg

Lighting (fixtures), Advanced Building Materials, and Fine Building Materials could be new requirements for advanced buildings while less advanced colonial buildings could require wood (or lumber), stone, glass, iron, and possibly even bricks (5 materials).