Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

tweety

Need help with Steam please

So, I just bought a new computer that has 2 drives. The C drive has windows and is 128Gb, the D drive is a terabyte. I figured out how to install Steam to my D drive, which all went fine, but it is keeping my saves on my C drive in my documents folder. I can't find anyway to change where it will save games. I have some large Banished saves and don't want them on my C drive. Has anyone else ran into this and found a solution? Steam is useless for help!  And wow does Banished play way better now on my new computer!

thanks in advance!

13 answers to this question

So, someone on Reddit was kind enough to help me figure out how to use an mlink so that now my game can see and open my previous saves, but this does not take care of the problem of saved games taking up room on my C drive. Tons of people these days are buying computers with 2 drives now, C being the one that has windows on it and usually not a very large drive, so is there any way to create a mod for the game that will ask you where you want to store your saved games? It seems like this would be a great addition. And had I known any of this, I would have bought a larger C drive...

no the toolkit doesnt allow us to mod this change of where to store your saves. the toolkit is very limited to : make building, make resource, change texture here and there and thats pretty much. it is not a programming tool which would allow you to change the way the game is executing.

7 hours ago, Ketchup said:

no the toolkit doesnt allow us to mod this change of where to store your saves. the toolkit is very limited to : make building, make resource, change texture here and there and thats pretty much. it is not a programming tool which would allow you to change the way the game is executing.

That's a shame....

@tweety - Have you presentedthis question to the Banished Discussion group on Steam?  If anyone knows, one of them should.  My husband has Steam and all of his saved games on his D drive - but that's where he installed it from the beginning.  It may be that if you reinstall Banish, you'll be given the option as to where your saves are stored.

3 hours ago, estherhb said:

@tweety - Have you presentedthis question to the Banished Discussion group on Steam?  If anyone knows, one of them should.  My husband has Steam and all of his saved games on his D drive - but that's where he installed it from the beginning.  It may be that if you reinstall Banish, you'll be given the option as to where your saves are stored.

yes, I did ask there and I got no help. Apparently it's not a steam thing anyway, it's up to the game on where it wants to store games. And this is a brand new computer and so I did find the instructions to install steam on my D drive, which I did, but banished still wants the saves on the C drive...

thanks though...

1 person likes this

Like I said my husband installed Steam and all of his game saves go to his D drive including Banished. He showed the save folder to me, so I have to believe there's a way to do this when you set up Steam and/or Banished. It's just been so long, we aren't sure what he did. Sorry we can't help you fix it.

2 minutes ago, estherhb said:

Like I said my husband installed Steam and all of his game saves go to his D drive including Banished. He showed the save folder to me, so I have to believe there's a way to do this when you set up Steam and/or Banished. It's just been so long, we aren't sure what he did. Sorry we can't help you fix it.

well crap, I wish I knew what he did differently!  It also would be good to put the info into the FAQ's in this forum.. with all the people buying computers now with 2 drives, I wasn't the only one trying to google this and find an answer...

Hi, you got me curious and I went googling and found this at http://www.dummies.com/computers/operating-systems/windows-10/how-to-change-the-location-of-user-folders-in-windows-10/

If your computer has multiple partitions, you may want to change the location of one or more of your user folders. For example, you might move the Downloads folder to another partition so that enough room is left on your Windows system drive. Doing so helps to ensure that your user folders and their contents are safe if Windows 10 fails and you need to reinstall it.

If you have a solid-state storage device (SSD) with little space available, moving your user folders to another drive makes even more sense. This way, you can use the valuable space on the SSD for apps and games that benefit from the speed and performance of an SSD. Here’s how to move a user folder, such as Downloads, to another location:

1. Open File Explorer.

2. Click Quick Access if it isn’t open.

3. Click the user folder that you want to change to select it.

4. Click the Home tab on the Ribbon.

The Home tab is displayed.

5. In the Open section, click Properties.

6. In the Folder Properties window, click the Location tab.

The Location tab of the Folder Properties window.

The Location tab of the Folder Properties window.
  7. Click Move.

8. Browse to the new location you want to use for this folder.

9. Click Select Folder.

10. Click OK.

You’re asked to confirm that you want to move all files from the old location to the new location.

11. Click Yes and wait for the files to be moved to the new location.

The Move Folder confirmation window.

The Move Folder confirmation window.
  12. Close File Explorer.

The next time you start File Explorer, the user folder will appear in the new location.

I had Banished already installed on an SSD C drive with it saving to Documents on C drive. So I tried relocating the Documents folder to an external drive and it works very well - Banished can both read old saves and write new ones!!!!!!

First impression is that Banished gameplay is running much faster like this - which may be because the SSD is now less burdened. Hmmm ... think I might do the same with my Desktop and Downloads.

:):D

2 people like this

I did not see your post khemari, but guess what? I just figured this out for myself :)  Color me stupid. I did not know I could just move the documents folder to another drive, but now I do!  Solution to problem was so simple! And you're right, it does start up faster and I found out on Windows 10 in settings, storage, you can tell windows where to save each folder, which was a handy thing I overlooked...

2 people like this

This is actually very interesting for another reason. This is a bit long so forgive me for the pre-amble but it's needed to provide some context because while @tweety doesns't seem to be having the problem that I am experiencing, I think they both originate from the same cause.

I had a new town that I had started in October this year then I stopped playing Banished for a few weeks because I started to play Cities: Skylines again as well as an entirely different game called Heliborne. Cities: Skylines would run fine but about a three days ago the town would get to a certain size and then the game would crash due to a remapping allocation error (can't remember specifics). This error was due to not having enough virtual memory (and Cities: Skylines is a glutton for RAM & virtual memory when you've stacked the mods in). Other games run without problems.

I checked my SSD (the main drive and the location of the virtual memory page file and it's also the location of my Banished saves in the Documents folder) and found that with all the mods I had crammed into a few games lately (the mod folders are in the Documents folder on C:) plus some major updates to games that I had installed onto C: (because it's SSD and the games run better on SSD) as well as a bunch of photos I am trying to edit, the drive now has only 6.6 Gig of 232 GB free. So I decided to switch to playing Banished because there were two new mods available and I wanted to try them. So I tried to run Banished yesterday after installing the new mods into WinData...

The game crashes before the main loading screen can complete. The error is specifically "A fatal access violation has occurred in Runtime-steam-x64.dll and the game cannot continue! A crash dump has been saved to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\crash.dmp"

So the situation is this, I have Steam installed on my secondary drive (E:) and that's were Banished is installed. However, Banished is saving it's games to the Documents folder on the main drive (C:). I have tried every one of the error fixes related to this sort of crash and the history of this particular crash shows that it happened most of the time back in the early days of the game for a variety of reasons, mostly in 2014 and 2015. I haven't seen any mention of this problem occurring during 2017 and I don't recall seeing any mention of Runtime errors associated with lack of drive space and I believe my particular problem with Banished is directly related to the lack of space on my main drive (for both the saved games and for virtual memory).

Now I am an average computer user, I know enough to not have to call a tech every time something goes wrong but I do not know for certain that this is the cause. Nothing else has changed except for adding two new mods and my main drive getting too full so at best I am making an educated guess that the lack of drive space is the problem. But I sure would be happy to hear from anyone who actually knows about this kind of thing so that I can figure out if it is the problem. I am going to try moving the save games to the E: drive and see what result I get.

10 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

This is actually very interesting for another reason. This is a bit long so forgive me for the pre-amble but it's needed to provide some context because while @tweety doesns't seem to be having the problem that I am experiencing, I think they both originate from the same cause.

I had a new town that I had started in October this year then I stopped playing Banished for a few weeks because I started to play Cities: Skylines again as well as an entirely different game called Heliborne. Cities: Skylines would run fine but about a three days ago the town would get to a certain size and then the game would crash due to a remapping allocation error (can't remember specifics). This error was due to not having enough virtual memory (and Cities: Skylines is a glutton for RAM & virtual memory when you've stacked the mods in). Other games run without problems.

I checked my SSD (the main drive and the location of the virtual memory page file and it's also the location of my Banished saves in the Documents folder) and found that with all the mods I had crammed into a few games lately (the mod folders are in the Documents folder on C:) plus some major updates to games that I had installed onto C: (because it's SSD and the games run better on SSD) as well as a bunch of photos I am trying to edit, the drive now has only 6.6 Gig of 232 GB free. So I decided to switch to playing Banished because there were two new mods available and I wanted to try them. So I tried to run Banished yesterday after installing the new mods into WinData...

The game crashes before the main loading screen can complete. The error is specifically "A fatal access violation has occurred in Runtime-steam-x64.dll and the game cannot continue! A crash dump has been saved to E:\Steam\steamapps\common\Banished\crash.dmp"

So the situation is this, I have Steam installed on my secondary drive (E:) and that's were Banished is installed. However, Banished is saving it's games to the Documents folder on the main drive (C:). I have tried every one of the error fixes related to this sort of crash and the history of this particular crash shows that it happened most of the time back in the early days of the game for a variety of reasons, mostly in 2014 and 2015. I haven't seen any mention of this problem occurring during 2017 and I don't recall seeing any mention of Runtime errors associated with lack of drive space and I believe my particular problem with Banished is directly related to the lack of space on my main drive (for both the saved games and for virtual memory).

Now I am an average computer user, I know enough to not have to call a tech every time something goes wrong but I do not know for certain that this is the cause. Nothing else has changed except for adding two new mods and my main drive getting too full so at best I am making an educated guess that the lack of drive space is the problem. But I sure would be happy to hear from anyone who actually knows about this kind of thing so that I can figure out if it is the problem. I am going to try moving the save games to the E: drive and see what result I get.

Just as khemari  and I both figured out, you can very easily move your documents folder to the second hard drive. Works like a charm. I hope it works for you!  Of course if not enough RAM is the problem, then that's another thing to tackle...

1 person likes this

:D The problem I am facing now is that the second drive has too much on it as well so shifting items from one drive to the other is not able to be done. I need to get myself an external hard-drive so I can store everything on that! The most irritating part is that my computer is only about four years old and came with 16 Gb of RAM so I "assume" that I have plenty for the games I'm playing. Sometimes it's not about how much RAM you've got, sometimes it's about how the game designer makes the game use the RAM. I believe that games like Cities: Skylines try to load all their assets (e.g. mods) into RAM so it is particularly hungry for RAM and not particularly good at using it. I think Banished might work in the same way :(

Once I can get some space clear on both hard-drives I intend to swap the Documents folder to the second drive. Knowing that all of you i.e. @tweety@khemari and @estherhb's husband have successfully done this already is good to know :)

P.S. I don't know why I can't get estherhb's @ notification to work, worked fine for the other member's names, just not esther's :S

4 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

:D The problem I am facing now is that the second drive has too much on it as well so shifting items from one drive to the other is not able to be done. I need to get myself an external hard-drive so I can store everything on that! The most irritating part is that my computer is only about four years old and came with 16 Gb of RAM so I "assume" that I have plenty for the games I'm playing. Sometimes it's not about how much RAM you've got, sometimes it's about how the game designer makes the game use the RAM. I believe that games like Cities: Skylines try to load all their assets (e.g. mods) into RAM so it is particularly hungry for RAM and not particularly good at using it. I think Banished might work in the same way :(

Once I can get some space clear on both hard-drives I intend to swap the Documents folder to the second drive. Knowing that all of you i.e. @tweety@khemari and @estherhb's husband have successfully done this already is good to know :)

P.S. I don't know why I can't get estherhb's @ notification to work, worked fine for the other member's names, just not esther's :S

You could also just get a bigger 2nd hard drive, that would be easier (for me anyway :) )