Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Kralyerg

MegaMod 8 RC2 Discussion / Bug Reports

128 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)

Alright so I wanted to give the megamod one more try. I placed the files back to the WinData directory and run the game. Black screen. After some time an error message popped up, it was something like "a fatal access violation has occurred in d3d11.dll and the game cannot continue. A crash dump has been saved". So what now? Never seen this error before, do I need to reinstal the game or is there any easier fix?

EDIT: Ok, I'm a tiny bit impatient so I've already tried to reinstal the game. If I try to run it without placing the mod files, everything is normal. If I place the mod files in the folder and run the game, the error mentioned above occurs again.

Edited by Dersha

Posted (edited)

1 hour ago, Dersha said:

Alright so I wanted to give the megamod one more try. I placed the files back to the WinData directory and run the game. Black screen. After some time an error message popped up, it was something like "a fatal access violation has occurred in d3d11.dll and the game cannot continue. A crash dump has been saved". So what now? Never seen this error before, do I need to reinstal the game or is there any easier fix?

EDIT: Ok, I'm a tiny bit impatient so I've already tried to reinstal the game. If I try to run it without placing the mod files, everything is normal. If I place the mod files in the folder and run the game, the error mentioned above occurs again.

If you're using a few mods, there's a very good chance that there is nothing wrong with your install of the game and it's a mod conflict that is causing the error. I have experienced that same problem when I had some older mods activated. Do you have a list of the mods you're using or are you just using the MegaMod?

Something else to check, this happens a few times to some people but is not very common. Are the mod files you have downloaded, the correct size? By that I mean if the download says it should be 4.9 Meg, is the file you downloaded actually 4.9 Meg? A few of us have had problems where the download cut out early but said that it was fully complete so we got 4.1 instead of 4.9 Mb. When we have tried to use those "incomplete" mod files, the game has crashed.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
spelling correction

Posted (edited)

I'm not using nor have placed any other mods. The rar file with mods downloaded fully, I'm sure of that (otherwise it couldn't even get extracted, could it?).

Anyway I've tried few things myself in the meantime and finally after using system restore tool, the game gets loaded. I've enabled mods in the menu and now the game is reloading (which might take a reeeeally long time as I understood), so lets see what happens next and if I can finally make it work :D

EDIT: Yaaay mods loaded!
EDIT2: But new map doesn't seem to be loading. Black screen again. Maybe it just takes time too?
EDIT3: No, new map won't load. After 10 minutes of black screen the well know error message popped up again. Please help...

Edited by Dersha

Alright, here's the overview of my problem and steps taken so far:

1. Downloaded the megamod
2. Extracted the files to WinData directory
3. Run the game, enabled megamod (all 3 parts in required order), game was reloading
4. After 15 minutes of black screen I gave up, closed the game, deleted megamod files, vanilla game running ok
5. According to an advice here, I gave it one more try, put megamod files in the directory, run the game
6. Game crashed with following errror: A fatal access violation has occured in d3d11.dll and the game cannot continue.
7. After searching for some fixes myself, I restored my OS and tried to run the game again, it loaded just normally, in vanilla version.
8. Enabled megamod in menu, game reloaded, everything looked fine, menu had modded features
9. Tried to start new map (Small Verdant Plain map, El Dorado Easy conditions)
10. Map was loading (with black screen) for 10 minutes, then the error of d3d11.dll popped up again.
11. Closed the game, tried to run it again.
12. Game was loading for 10 mins (with black screen), then the error popped up, again, so now I can't even run the game.

Any ideas what's going on and how to fix it?

I looked this error up on-line. It appears to be caused by more than on thing and various "fixes" have been successful by different people: some recommend updating your graphic card driver, another said "update Java", another says it's caused by malware, someone else reloaded their Windows OS, etc. Others say this is a memory problem. I haven't listed all of the discussions so feel free to do a search and read them all.

So, unfortunately, I don't have any idea what the actual "fix" will be for you.  Here are some things I would try : 

• Go to Steam > Games. Right Click on Banished. Select the last option "Properties". Then select the Local Files tab then Verify Integrity of Game Files.
  • Make sure you are using Banished 1.0.7 (this is shown at the bottom of the main screen).  (Not having 1.0.7 can definitely cause problems with MegaMod.)
  • Try changing Banished to DX9 instead of DX11 (or the other way around) - you may need to do this while only vanilla is loaded (go to Options > Video and change Render). For some people DX11 doesn't work at all; for others DX9 doesn't work. For me DX11 cuts the load time for MM dramatically (to like a minute).
  • If Banished is working OK, try loading just Colonial Charter 1.75 - this is also a big mod too, but much smaller than MegaMod.  Does it load OK?
  • If CC is taking a while to load, Press ALT + TAB after a few minutes - for some this really cuts the load time!

Posted (edited)

OK.

1) Game files are ok, I tried to reinstall the game just to be sure, didn't help.
2) It is v1.0.7
3) Tried both DX9 and DX11, as soon as I try to enable the megamod and game reloads, the same error occurs for both DX9 and DX11
4) Vanilla Banished is working ok, tried CC 1.75, again both in DX9 and DX11, not working. Only the filename in error message is different now. It's either VideoDX9-steam-x32.dll or VideoDX11-steam-x32.dll, respectively.

EDIT: 5) Next thing I tried was running the game in 64x instead 32x. CC mod loaded succesfully, but loading new map again gave me the crash (VideoDX9-steam-x64.dll)
EDIT2: 6) Tried the 64x in DX11 and holly cow it seems working! I'm going to try this with megamod too and see what happens.

Edited by Dersha

So the result so far is, that I can run CC in 64x in DX11 but when I try to run megamod the same way, game won't even run (even though the megamod is not enabled yet, I just put the files in directory and run the game and got the error before even loading the menu).

At a guess I would say that your system is seeing the load time increase but nothing is actually happening regarding the game loading so it's terminating the process. Banished with mods will take longer to load and in some cases, much, much longer than anyone expects - however this is normal and a lot of people have found that the Alt+Tab trick reduces the load times from the 15-40 minutes some of us experienced down to around 5 minutes. I'm sure someone else reported a game crash from an endless loading loop but that was a few years ago now.

MegaMod is huge, it will take a while to load. So considering that you have no other mods enabled and the game works with CC I am inclined to think your system believes something is wrong with the load time for MegaMod (MM). Are you still using the original download of MM or have you downloaded it a second time and are using that now? If you are still using your original download then as a "just in case", download it again and try the newer download.

If that also does not work then I'm inclined to think that your system and MegaMod are not compatible somehow and maybe it's one particular mod within MM that is causing the issue. It might be worth trying the earlier version of MM (that you can still get on this site) to see if you still get the load time crash. If even that doesn't work, you might have to resort to using CC with any other mods you want to try. This sounds like a bit of a loss compared to what you can get from MM but there are many other mods that will work successfully with CC (I can give you a list of various mods I regularly used before I started using MM - I had over 120 mods active at one stage). 

As a final word, I'll add my thoughts to what @estherhb said, over the years we have seen Banished cause problems for some people that other players never encountered. Sometimes one person will have a crash while another person will use the same mods and a similar computer and have no problems at all. For example I have found a problem with a particular session with overspawning blueberries that only one other person in the Banished community seems to have encountered despite others trying to replicate the problem.

Banished seems to be a very cranky programme and plays nice with some people and plays very badly with others. There does not seem to be any "One fix fixes all" solution for many of the Fatal Error crashes so it pays to try out every solution that's on offer :( There's been a number of websites offering solutions to various Banished crashes so doing a search for Banished with the specific error code might get you some useful info.

1 person likes this

i would try to force a full update of video drivers and full forced re-installation of directX 11. you certainly have something corrupted and it is not the mega mod the problem since it works perfectly fine for thousands and thousands of people.

btw, what is your video card (model, memory?)

@KevinTheCynic I tried re-download, still the same result. I will try the earlier version of MM, if it will work. Other than that I've tried pretty much every fix I've found when searching for d3d11.dll error, including manually replacing the file (that caused some troubles to my OS so I had to restore the whole sytem after that "fix"). Nothing worked, sadly :(

@Ketchup My graphic card is quite a crap, I know that, but I was able to run most of the games with it (even newer ones with lowered details), it's NVIDIA GeForce 210, though I don't know the particular specifications (I've kinda inherited this machine :D ). Drivers are up to date (at least so says the update tool, should I try to look for the latest version manually and reinstall it just to be sure?), I'll try the DX11 re-installation now. Thank you for more solution tips.

Posted (edited)

I think it's the graphics card - the GeForce 210 is listed as having 1GB of DDR2 RAM so I think because it's an older card, it can't handle the extra size & graphics of MM :(

Edited by KevinTheCynic
spelling correction

Posted (edited)

@Dersha download Driver Sweeper, install it. http://www.guru3d.com/content_page/guru3d_driver_sweeper.html

try to uninstall your video driver via your control panel or or better, launch the install .exe of the current driver and select Uninstall, then reboot in safe mode, run Driver sweeper - select 'Nvidia - Display - Clean, reboot normally, then re-install latest drivers).

hopefully it can fix your problem.

Edited by Ketchup

Nvidia GeForce 210 have 512 mb DDR2 and support max version of directx 10.1. So that means you cant run banished in directx11. try directx 9

@Ketchup Thank you, I will try that when I get home.

@krinius That's the funny thing - I can run Banished in both DX9 and DX11 but CC 1.75 ONLY in DX11, won't load in DX9 :D Tell me about stubborn machines denying all assumptions :D
I actually run many games in DX11, I've been always surprised myself how much this crappy old graphic card can handle. But yes, I do accept the possibility it's an insufficient hardware problem.
I will try last few fixes offered and if nothing works, I'll just settle for CC for now. I'm planning to buy new and better PC this year, anyway.

I found what I think is another bug in MM 8 RC2.  Hardly any of the trading posts will load lumber for trade. I have built almost all the posts in one or other of my recent maps just to check, and the only one that reliably stores lumber is the Dry Goods Supplier, which surprised me.  The Industry Supplier, the Trading Post, the Old Town Trading post, the Food Supplier, the Farm Supplier, all won't take it.  This is very frustrating as I had built the map heavily forested and was making my living, I hoped, by logging and lumbering.  I'm going to try again just in case it takes longer for the Traders to load it into the Post than all the other goods and I was too impatient, I'll also try the remaining Posts.

2 hours ago, TuffDwarf said:

Hardly any of the trading posts will load lumber for trade

That's odd.  I don't see anything wrong with any of the Trading Post codes.  Are you using any other mods?

17 hours ago, Kralyerg said:

That's odd.  I don't see anything wrong with any of the Trading Post codes.  Are you using any other mods?

Just MM8 RC2 and Slightly Ridiculous Storage.

I made a map, put in 7 Trading posts: Old Trading Post, Trading Post, Dry Goods Supplier, Industry Supplier, Food Supplier, Farm Supplier and Industry Merchant, and 4 of them allowed lumber in and 3 didn't: Farm Supplier, Industry Supplier, and Trading Post.  I only put 100 lumber in each Post and nothing else and waited to see who got it and who didn't, and I waited an entire year to see if by some chance they were just lazy Bannies, but after several Traders had visited and those Posts never got lumber I considered the test fairly definitive.  I had started out with 1000 lumber in my stock pile, too, so there was plenty of lumber to take, and more being made all the time.

I haven't tried the remaining Traders like the Smugglers as I have never used them and didn't really want to start now.  Especially after what it took to put in those 7 trading posts!

Thanks for looking into the problem. I have really been enjoying MM8.

Hi, i'm not using any other mods, but if i select a house from Medieval Town 2.04 menu, game crashes. It lets me choose the material (bricks, wood, whatever), but when i click on a building button, it crashes.

Thanks in advance.

6 hours ago, TuffDwarf said:

Just MM8 RC2 and Slightly Ridiculous Storage.

I made a map, put in 7 Trading posts: Old Trading Post, Trading Post, Dry Goods Supplier, Industry Supplier, Food Supplier, Farm Supplier and Industry Merchant, and 4 of them allowed lumber in and 3 didn't: Farm Supplier, Industry Supplier, and Trading Post. 

I tried duplicating the problem but could not. I also have Slightly Ridiculous Storage btw.  I built two sawmills with their own general stockpiles across from each other and 9 trading posts: Old Town Trading Post, Trading Post, the 4 CC Suppliers (Food, Industry, Dry Goods and Farm), Small Port, Large Port and Industry Merchant. I gave each post it's own general stockpile, a CC small barn and a house. I assigned one Trader to each post. I built dirt roads connecting everything. I asked each to store 100 Lumber.

All of them did so in 2 seasons or less.  Unfortunately, I'm not sure why you can't get them to take on Firewood.  Can you send a picture?

4 hours ago, Golamh said:

Hi, i'm not using any other mods, but if i select a house from Medieval Town 2.04 menu, game crashes. It lets me choose the material (bricks, wood, whatever), but when i click on a building button, it crashes.

Thanks in advance.

I'm assuming that you are using MegaMod 8 not just Medieval Town 2.04?

I have not had a problem with these houses. However, there are multiple ways to select some of these houses: from the House tab on the main toolbar, from the Themed Sets on the main toolbar or by going to the Community Toolbar, selecting Red Ketchup and then selecting the houses.  Please let me know EXACTLY the names of the tabs used and EXACTLY the names of the housing you find crashes so I can try to duplicate it.