Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

lmccnn

Cotton Plantation Yield: 65ish

Banished 1.07 + MM8.01, no other mods (ever), fresh game

My 11x11 cotton plantations (tried normal "crop" as well) are yielding about 65 per season. My tobacco plantations are closer to the expected norms (700 last season)

My farmers are 5-star happy, educated, using steel tools, live right next to the plantation with a barn. 

This isn't just one cotton plantation, it's all of them. I've tried resting them for a year, deleting/recreating them, adding a second farmer, enabling/disabling "pickup" - no changes always about 65ish

mm_cotton.png

Edited by lmccnn

16 answers to this question

cotton has been adjusted to a reasonably numbers. it appeared in the past with the old numbers, with 1 field of cotton 15x15 , just 1 year of production, you could get enough coats for 58 game years population. that was making no sense. same with flax.

or we could reduce the numbers of cotton crops, or we could ask to take 10X more cotton to make 1 cloth. we decided to go that way.

1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Ketchup said:

cotton has been adjusted to a reasonably numbers. it appeared in the past with the old numbers, with 1 field of cotton 15x15 , just 1 year of production, you could get enough coats for 58 game years population. that was making no sense. same with flax.

or we could reduce the numbers of cotton crops, or we could ask to take 10X more cotton to make 1 cloth. we decided to go that way.

Thanks for the fast follow-up and wonderful work on Banished. I looked around in-game at my other tailoring production inputs (wool from sheep, leather from pens/hunters, feathers from chickens, etc.) and those generally align with cotton's 11x11 output, so from that perspective I get it. 

58 cotton on a crop in progress. how many you've got at the end of the clearing ? around 80 ?

so you make how many cloths ? 8 cloths?  and with these 80 cloths how many coat you did ? 8 coat ? for a 11x11 x1year ?

5 hours ago, Ketchup said:

58 cotton on a crop in progress. how many you've got at the end of the clearing ? around 80 ?

so you make how many cloths ? 8 cloths?  and with these 80 cloths how many coat you did ? 8 coat ? for a 11x11 x1year ?

My end of year yield is 60-65ish. As I said above, the changes in MM 8.01 to cotton production (and other tailoring production sources) look aligned and relatively balanced: I get the change and am not complaining at all about the 11x11 or other outputs (and based on your first reply, I also removed the 'bug' tag from this post).

Thank you for your work I'm really enjoying Banished + MM 

PS - I'm looking around these forums and realize I probably started this thread in the wrong sub-group but anyway I thought I would add one thing: the 2x2 Reed Farm (dockset theme) generates about 500 per season which doesn't seem balanced with the other production numbers mentioned here.

Edited by lmccnn

i agree reeds farms need to be balanced

The Dock Set, of which the Reed Farm is a part, was designed to let people build almost complete towns on maps that have a huge amount of water and very little land for mines, crops, pastures and forests.  The Reed Farm is critical to that effort. The reeds are needed to make Survival Coats, Rope and most importantly Firebundles.  Before you recommend that any of the buildings in the Dock Set are "rebalanced", you need to try using them on a Waterworld map.

22 hours ago, Ketchup said:

I'm trying to figure out why a field of cotton should produce so little cotton.  An 11x11 crop field with one educated farmer (mild climate) usually produces 847 items worth 1 each.  Since cotton is worth 2 each, I can understand reducing the output by half (423); this is similar to the fact that the number of herbs produced as a crop is reduced since they are worth 4 each.

In reality and historically, Cotton is a a cash crop - one that is grown to make a profit and not just grown to provide resources for your own textile industry. Anything not used for producing textiles would be sold at a trading post. Seems a waste of land and human resources to grow cotton if fields only produce 80 cotton a year worth 160.  

5 hours ago, estherhb said:

The Dock Set, of which the Reed Farm is a part, was designed to let people build almost complete towns on maps that have a huge amount of water and very little land for mines, crops, pastures and forests.  The Reed Farm is critical to that effort. The reeds are needed to make Survival Coats, Rope and most importantly Firebundles.  Before you recommend that any of the buildings in the Dock Set are "rebalanced", you need to try using them on a Waterworld map.

I took your suggestion and started a WaterWorld map. 

Year 10 and I have the production chain Reed Farms -> Ropers -> Trader and with each rope trading for 35 a piece I don't have any pressure or rush to develop other production chains. I'm continuing to play WaterWorld and basically outfitting my town with all the goodies from these Reed Farms because for 2x4 they produce so much so fast.

ww_reed.thumb.png.eb71d603da69e24fa3e946481bef81d8.png

Edited by lmccnn
typo

if happends i would add reeds to RKEC .... i would fix those too. to have a waterworld doesnt justify they are so small and so OP. space or number of tiles are the same in a lake than on the ground. the farms could be 10x10 with an output equivalent to a 11x11 crop. there is absolutely no need to be able to put 10 of those farms in a 12x12 and get 5,300 reeds per year. unless you need 80-100 of them to make a coat :)

but that is MY vision of things... i know it is not shared by everyone :) i always try to get a good balance :)

Edited by Ketchup

The CC Dock Set was sized so it could fit on the larger rivers as well as lakes. That could explain why some buildings are small. A 10x10 Reed Farm would not fit on a large river.  Because these buildings can be placed on lakes, large rivers and many on the ground, I find them very versatile and use them a lot.  I don't create large groups of any one piece, whether it's reed farms, rice planters, etc. so the fact that some may seem overpowered really don't affect my game.  I can name a number of other pieces in CC and other mods that could be considered overpowered as well, but built in moderation, it just isn't an issue to me and I'm enjoying using them. 

If you create your own Dock District, you can have whatever parameters you want - maybe they will only fit on lakes?

i didnt thought about rivers........ i never did a dock set :P

there is no way to say lake or river. the code we can give is water and deepwater. the main river has also lot of deepwater

Edited by Ketchup

I was talking about the size of the structure being too big to fit in a river. You don't want to block boats from going by either visually or actually. A 10x10 structure would barely fit in a river, especially since most rivers have little areas that are running horizontal or vertical.

12 minutes ago, estherhb said:

I was talking about the size of the structure being too big to fit in a river. You don't want to block boats from going by either visually or actually. A 10x10 structure would barely fit in a river, especially since most rivers have little areas that are running horizontal or vertical.

for sure a 10x10 doesnt fit in a river ! 

but i was just giving an example to talk about waterworld. space inside a giant lake is same as space of a giant plains.

Possibly the biggest imbalance in the trading/production mini-game is firewood at 4 per. It is such a rapidly accumulated early-game resource and now that I've discovered its trade value I suspect this whole balance discussion is moot. On my Waterworld map I dumped the reed farms and ropes, put up a few more forester/chopper combos to accelerate firewood production and everything else I need is flowing in through traders with firewood as payment.

The value of Firewood was set in the vanilla game. Even when I played vanilla, I've NEVER been good at producing enough Firewood for trade for some reason so I've always relied on Ale. With all of the other great trade items, I don't even have to rely on alcohol anymore. There are Statues, Domesticated Animals, Trade Livestock, Perfume (if using Red Ketchup's mods), etc. (and I still use Reeds). By the way, I don't make Firewood anymore since I discovered that the Stacks Burner makes 11 Charcoal (worth 3 each) from one log!