Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ShockPuppet

Colonial Charter 1.7 Dev Blog #1

372 posts in this topic

I really like these wall sets. Does the tall fence set also sit under ground level and include a drain or barred pass through for spanning small streams? 

I really like that town wall set.

I really like the other wall set too.

Want!

WANT NOW!

:D

3 people like this

4 hours ago, Kristahfer said:

I really like these wall sets. Does the tall fence set also sit under ground level and include a drain or barred pass through for spanning small streams? 

No drain on the wooden wall (its wood). I could add something. Find an image online of something suitable and i'll make it :)

1 person likes this

30 minutes ago, Paeng said:

culverts

Ok I'll think of a way to add them in. 

2 people like this

On the big city walls that are in MM (that I kind of gave up on) one of them has a culvert. It's a ghost piece that extends below ground level, so when it's placed over a river, you can see it. But if it's placed on normal ground, the culvert part is covered by the ground.  Something similar may wor here, too.

2 people like this

I missed this earlier, you only have to look to Quebec to see city walls, some parts of which are still standing, so period wise its not wrong. The Spanish also built wall, St-Augustine had some if I remember correctly. I like the look, if I had one request its for an elevated canon ghost in the naval pattern.

The first 4 are from Quebec, the others from Louisbour, a reconstructed French military city, both 18th century builds.

Also love the walls, again a wonderful addition.

Have you considered Martello towers, https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martello_ , tower they have a nice lookl, and you have many choices of visuals. They could work like the blockhouse.  :face48:

Quebec Gate.jpg

Wall 2.jpg

Wall.jpg

French Style.jpg

Louisbourg Gate.jpg

Louisbourg 1.jpg

Louisbourg 2.jpg

Louisbourg 3.jpg

3 people like this

@Denis de la Rive I'll look into it thanks :)

At the moment i am working on proper modular garden beds for planting. Heres a preview:

gb.png

Here's a look at Ambient Occlusion baking for those interested. I'm using "NVIDIA Mental Ray" because its a little bit nicer than default Scanline rendering:

ibjrGU.jpg

1 person likes this

The garden bed kit has different pieces and people know how to walk over the top of them (instead of ghosting through them ;) )

Its got 2 main features, dirt pieces, and wooden edge pieces. The wooden pieces are your edges, there's straight ones and corner ones and tight ones. After they're built you can go ahead and build the dirt squares to fill it all up. These will all be "roadbound" meaning both road decorations/plants and ghost decorations/plants will be able to be built there.

2 people like this

Nice! The garden bed will look great in a backyard. I really like how you used Ambient Occlusion, I never figured that out.

1 person likes this

Im making a partially sunk rock bridge, good for the small rivers.

(some of the existing Plank Bridge in the shot for no particular reason)

rockbridge.png

3 people like this

Tomorrow I'll make a fallen tree log bridge. I'm hoping to start on a covered bridge for the big rivers too (sleepy hollow anyone?) 

4 people like this

On 12/5/2016 at 7:10 PM, elemental said:

Sounds good to me. Personally I'd like to see all the military stuff taken out of CC and turned into an optional extra. I don't use it, I never will use it, so for me all it does is make my game take longer to load.

Then after 1.7 you can go and make your own version of Banished that doesn't have so many annoying limitations. :)

I 10000000000 (infinite 0's) agree with this  (including the part about the Military stuff)   

And with that being said ... you get my 100 Thumbs Up  :):hand1: (that is 2 hands with 50 thumbs per hand)

On 12/6/2016 at 1:29 PM, estherhb said:

I can see why you think the Fort set isn't needed but I actually use them for things not intended. I use the Barracks all the time. Makes a good admin building near mines and trading posts. I've used the parade ground when creating a horse ranch as a training area. I love the well. The tents and campfire make a good campground by a stream. The towers look good as a watchtower at the entry to a lake - and so on. I really like the Blocktower, but I think it should be buildable early on (one of the reasons I can't stop using the Debug menu).  

I love the new wall pieces!

I never thought about using some of the pieces in it out of the context they were made for , but I must admit @estherhb you are now giving me some great ideas on other uses for it :)

And yeah I have the same problem with Debug, I have to slap my hand to keep from trying to give myself the materials that I need to build something that I would like to build before I am meant to build it :(:face29::D

1 person likes this

On 12/6/2016 at 4:50 PM, ShockPuppet said:

I like you. Feel free to hang out on the site as much as you like. Snacks on the top shelf, drinks in the cooler. Watch anything you like on the TV, but stay away from Disney - it makes @Kralyerg nervous.

Rut- Oh  Can of Worms opened :face48:

Who's the leader of the club,
That's made for you and me?
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-you-S-E!  

Hey there! Hi there! Ho there!
Your as welcome as can be,
M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-you-S-E!

mickey mouse.gif

Mickey Mouse!
Donald Duck!
Mickey Mouse!
Donald Duck!

donald duck.jpg

Forever let us hold our banner
High, high, high. High!

Come along lets sing the song
And join the jamberre!

M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-you-S-E!

And ofc there is this  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I6tskvpK9VY

Edited by rejectedegg
2 people like this

First, the rock bridge. That's genius! Could also do a wood one, where the logs stand on end. Second, if you make the wooden edge pieces for the garden 2 to 4 times taller, you'll have yourself a really nice looking retaining wall. I've been using palisade walls for that, looks a bit off. Of course, there is probably other things that could be used I have missed as well. So much stuff. Don't know how you all find the time. Cant wait to see the upcoming topiary. :D

1 person likes this

Finished baking the Ambient Occlusion for the new rock bridge today. Now, onto the next addition...

1 person likes this