Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KevinTheCynic

Very large maps with lakes

71 posts in this topic

Oooh excellent. I'm going to start up a game with 999. I love the more natural looking lakes. Thank you.

1 person likes this

:) You're welcome.

I have to admit that 999 is my favourite of the two because the starting location is an island so you have to be a little careful with town expansion but hey, it's an island and I just love the idea of it haha :D

Then there's the little island in the main lake where you can have a small community as well. I use this island for the Japanese building mods because you can fit all of them on there and still have room for a small market and a small decorative orchard (I usually use plum trees)... now if we could only get decorative cherry blossom trees!

In case you haven't got the Japanese mods and are interested in them: -

Japanese Facilities - https://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404011319&searchtext=

Japanese Houses - http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=337106753  or you can get them from http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/612-Japanese-Houses

1 person likes this

Since I also look for large maps with lakes, I'm going to post some seed numbers in here:

• Lake Waters - Very Large - 610724488
  • Lake Waters - Very Large - 217535411
  • Lake Waters - Large - 577451853
  • Lake Waters - Large - 39831256
  • Sand Lakes - Large - 243106443

I hope you don't mind, I didn't want to start a new thread for the exact same thing. *grin* I don't have any pictures, but I'll try to remember to take some.

3 people like this

No I don't mind at all, it's a good idea :) 

It's going to be easier for people to find the maps they want if we keep similar starting conditions in the same thread.

2 people like this

Large Lake Waters  384395215

The map in the far right corner is what the Lakes look like on this map.

I am probably gonna terraform the single circular one and put something there to cover it over.  

But I really like how the others look , so will keep them :)

unable to reproduce  yr 6.png

3 people like this

That main lake from seed  384395215  is quite interesting and I agree that the small circular one is worth removing/changing. Maybe changing it to a third (or quarter) it's size so it looks like the river has expanded but not enough to make a lake.

I've never been particularly good with the terraforming tool so I wonder what variations would occur by changing a number here or there in the map seed? Sounds like a project for the weekend when I've got some time to experiment!

3 people like this

3 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

That main lake from seed  384395215  is quite interesting and I agree that the small circular one is worth removing/changing. Maybe changing it to a third (or quarter) it's size so it looks like the river has expanded but not enough to make a lake.

I've never been particularly good with the terraforming tool so I wonder what variations would occur by changing a number here or there in the map seed? Sounds like a project for the weekend when I've got some time to experiment!

I had never used the Terraforming tool before.

Now I know why.  Things like that are dangerous in my hands.

I had people walking through the river, stuck in the river , and the same with the animals.

My poor Trader all you could see was his head as he rowed through the ground I had created.

When you have a lake/pond like that that has the traders river flowing trough it, it is quite difficult to see where the traders river actually runs.

Which made it hard to determine what to terraform and what not to.  I ended up creating a path that I thought would have been the right path.

But apparently Luke didn't agree with me, because clearly it wasn't.

I was extremely sleepy by then and created a damaging mess and had to delete the map and start all over from scratch on it again.  

2 people like this

Well, if you're careful, you can use the Terraform to lower the water parts back down. (Not Flatten Terrain, but Terraform)

If you lower normal terrain, you just get a big black hole in the ground because there's not water under there. But if you had water originally, and you raise it, you can lower it back down and the water should still be there.

4 people like this

46 minutes ago, Kralyerg said:

Well, if you're careful, you can use the Terraform to lower the water parts back down. (Not Flatten Terrain, but Terraform)

If you lower normal terrain, you just get a big black hole in the ground because there's not water under there. But if you had water originally, and you raise it, you can lower it back down and the water should still be there.

Yeah I dd that although I can say I wasn't too graceful in doing so :(

My main problem was trying to figure out what the exact path of the River was supposed to be.

So I had people walking through the River, animals were doing the same, to get to the other side.  

Even though there was 2 bridges on either side of them that were close enough to get to.

And the poor Trader... hmm :/ 

All I could see of him was the top of his head ( he was underground, as if he was still following the route he has programmed to follow) as he passed through there.

Had that happen to me before,  not long after it hit the Mods list . Hence why I stopped even using Flatten Terrain for awhile.  

I now use it on regular land only to smooth out small lumps in the ground.

Guess I should go back to sticking to doing that again.  

Edited by rejectedegg
2 people like this

Wait, how is it only available in MM?  All the climate/terrain/starting conditions are literally exact copies of CC 1.62.

And just as I was typing this, I remember that I did put in the Swamp Lakes thing for Vrayna, didn't I. So there is a slight difference. It'll be in CC 1.7, so there is that.

3 people like this

While trying out some new mods I figured I'd try some other map seeds. Of course being greedy I went for the biggest map size I could get but this is the result: -

Terrain Type - [CC] Lake Waters

Terrain Size - [CC] Very Large

Map Seed - 959

The bottom of the Yellow Box shows the starting location of the map.

MapSeed 959.jpg

Edited by KevinTheCynic
deleting unnecessary spaces
3 people like this

2 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

While trying out some new mods I figured I'd try some other map seeds. Of course being greedy I went for the biggest map size I could get but this is the result: -

Terrain Size - [CC] Very Large

Map Seed - 959

MapSeed 959.jpg

I absolutely love this map :)     :heart5:

If only I could actually play on Very Large maps :(

2 people like this

I wonder if it would make a similar looking map on Large size? I haven't actually tried that because I always expected that the map would be quite different and as mentioned, I like to have the biggest map I can get (I can't even remember the last time I played on any map smaller than Large!) But that gives me an idea to try some of the three seeds I mentioned at Large size instead of Very Large... so stay tuned

My only issue with the Very Large - Seed 959 combination is the starting point. I played this map for a little while last night and ended up making the town east of the start point, along the banks of the main river (rebuilt the storage barn and stockpile). I had some citizens starve because I didn't get food production started right away due to the move and so the food stockpile got used up really fast but I had about 20-25 people at that point. For all the trouble at the start, I really like this map.

2 people like this

@rejectedegg have you had a play with Discrepancy's DSSmallVillage at all? He has a version 2 Beta that has some starting conditions and one of them is a lake. It works with the normal map sizes but needs to be placed above mods like Colonial Charter. I haven't used it but it sounds like it will make the more realistic looking lakes that we want.

Link http://ds-mods.net/downloads/ Look under the DS Small Village title. Be warned however that because this is a Beta it has a few bugs, the most important being that traders can't pass under the bridges provided in this mod.

2 people like this

Large map versions of the map seeds I listed above. Note that the "Medium Map" title on the image is from the mini-map mod I am using and is not the starting conditions.

Terrain Size - Large

Map Seed - 777, 959 and 999

Map Seed 777 - Large Map

MapSeed 777-Large.jpg

Map Seed 959 - Large Map

MapSeed 959-Large.jpg

Map Seed 999 - Large Map

MapSeed 999-Large.jpg

My personal preference is for 999 simply because it has some usable islands.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
Adding info I left out from the list of map seeds
2 people like this

@KevinTheCynic  I was turned on to it earlier in another post http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/455-vanilla-gameplayish-will-these-mods-work-together/ by @Discrepancy and have done dowloaded it. But Thank You for the Suggestion :)

I am eager to give it a whirl that is for sure.

O.o  and what haappens to the traders when they run into one of those bridges?

1 person likes this

Just now, rejectedegg said:

@KevinTheCynic  I was turned on to it earlier in another post http://blackliquidsoftware.com/index.php?/topic/455-vanilla-gameplayish-will-these-mods-work-together/ by @Discrepancy and have done dowloaded it. But Thank You for the Suggestion :)

I am eager to give it a whirl that is for sure.

O.o  and what haappens to the traders when they run into one of those bridges?

They turn around and try to find another way to exit the map.

2 people like this