Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KevinTheCynic

Very large maps with lakes

85 posts in this topic
26 minutes ago, Paeng said:

I was pretty sure it would be the same person, Paeng is definitely a unique name!

And wow! Your troubleshooting page is very comprehensive :) :hand1:

1 person likes this

8 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Your troubleshooting page is very comprehensive

Thanks... it's still a WiP, though new troubleshooting ideas are getting rare... ¬¬

I hope you find that one bit that solves whatever is bugging you!

2 people like this

24 minutes ago, Paeng said:

Thanks... it's still a WiP, though new troubleshooting ideas are getting rare... ¬¬

I hope you find that one bit that solves whatever is bugging you!

Well that's half the problem for me, I'm not the one having the bug so I can only make suggestions based on what info @rejectedegg is able to supply and of course I am in a totally different timezone to her so questions and answers can sometimes be 12 hours or so apart! 

It seems as though it's almost a unique problem because with the checking I have managed to do, I haven't found anyone else reporting the fatal access violation when they try to use Large maps (or larger with mods) but have uninterrupted gameplay when using medium and small maps. Most of the time no map size is even mentioned and even if it is mentioned the access violation doesn't appear to be connected to map size.

1 person likes this

Well,  the

Fatal Error in XXX
The game can not continue!

in various incarnations, is as old as Banished, even before modding became available...

When modding started, many people had problems with custom maps, specially the (xtra) large ones. I still refuse to use them because of frequent crashes, but I prefer medium maps anyway - which is not a judgement, just what I experience...

Many cases were solved by updating graphic drivers. Or switching DX9/DX11. Or cleaning a dirty registry. Or following a certain SOP to enable mods.

More and more mods were added - not all of them well coded (specially in the early days). Steam joined the fracas. Folks started loading wild mixtures of mods...

What am I trying to say? Not sure anymore... just that finding this particular hiccup on that particular system is a... tall order :face60:

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Paeng said:

Well,  the

Fatal Error in XXX
The game can not continue!

in various incarnations, is as old as Banished, even before modding became available...

When modding started, many people had problems with custom maps, specially the (xtra) large ones. I still refuse to use them because of frequent crashes, but I prefer medium maps anyway - which is not a judgement, just what I experience...

Many cases were solved by updating graphic drivers. Or switching DX9/DX11. Or cleaning a dirty registry. Or following a certain SOP to enable mods.

More and more mods were added - not all of them well coded (specially in the early days). Steam joined the fracas. Folks started loading wild mixtures of mods...

What am I trying to say? Not sure anymore... just that finding this particular hiccup on that particular system is a... tall order :face60:

Yes indeed and that's even before taking into account system differences like what operating system, graphics card drivers etc. etc. are being used. I've been lucky and was successful in fixing my (admittedly few) fatal error problems because switching back to DX9 seemed to cover most of the problem plus I use a troubleshooting/maintenance programme for overall monitoring of my pc.

1 person likes this

4 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Damn. :face30:

Well that really sucks. 

Can you load the same game but from a previous save (or the autosave) at all? If so, does the game progress further (before crashing again) than when it crashed previously?

Another thought occurred to me, can you run Large maps without any mods active, without the game crashing? If yes then one of the mods is likely to be the culprit which should mean not much more than getting the latest version of the mod or alternately, getting an older version of the mod that you know ran without causing crashes. I tend to keep older versions of some mods for this particular reason so if you can't find older versions of mods you use I may have a copy.

I see that there is a user called Paeng on the Shining Rock Software website, he suggested some potential fixes for this sort of error although they did involve altering/deleting the registry entries for Banished (which is something I'm always a little antsy about doing). I think we can be reasonably sure it's the same Paeng as here so maybe it's worth asking him for any suggestions on how to fix it.

Do you run in full screen or windowed mode when you're playing? From your screenshots you appear to be running in windowed mode but I don't know if you run it that way or if you just did it for the screenshot. Which ever mode you use, it might be worth trying the other mode.

Are you running the Steam version at all? If yes then you can try verifying the file integrity through the Steam Properties tab, if not he only other thing I can think of is to uninstall and reinstall the game.

The problem you're having seems to have plagued a lot of people and there doesn't seem to be one solution to it but multiple and it appears that they might not actually work for every person. I can't think of anything else to try at the moment except perhaps making a request in the technical help sections here and on World of Banished and so on O.o :face29:

I use @Paeng's method whenever I am gonna be starting a new gaame with different mods/ some different mods.  I start fresh.

* The Best Fix For The Most Common Problems

Every Mod stores information in the Windows Registry which is supposed to be temporary, but does not get deleted properly upon exiting the game... search for the Banished keys as shown above, then look for entries like the following

Code:
ModEnabled_*modname* --- (true | false)  // alphabetical listing
ModIndex_*modname* ---   (0 to xx)  // alphabetical too, probably an Index of LoadOrder

You can safely delete these Mod-references.

Note: Redundant mod references are probably THE most common cause of crashes. I recommend "scrubbing" your registry (deleting all old/unused ModEnabled_ and ModIndex_ references) every time before starting a new game.
Doing so will not compromise any of your personal settings.

* Another Big Thing To Avoid

Do NOT just delete mods out of your [WinData] folder! 
That's the best way to screw up the registry...

Instead, disable all mods from outside the game: 
Before deleting any mod, start the game via the small options menu (click your shortcut while pressing CTRL). 
In that start menu click on "Disable All Mods", then exit. 
Now you can delete the mod/s from the WinData folder, then proceed as usual (re-enable all your wanted/needed mods).

* You may still want to check the relevant Registry entries to see if any garbage was left behind (see previous tip).

Alternatively, and even more tedious, you can also disable the mods from inside the game: 
While in-game, open the mod menu and disable all mods manually.
"Quit" the game (NOT "Exit"!), check your mod menu again - great (not), your mods are still flagged enabled (green), so disable them all again.
Now you can "Exit" the game, and delete your Mods from the [WinData] folder...

I had bought the game through steam but when steam changed some of their policies about the games I quit using steam altogether.

I then bought the game (which I play now (straight from Shining Rock).

And I was I able to start the game again from the last save, but it just ended up crashing again, so I gave up and went to bed.

I always play Windowed anymore.  Because Alt + Tabbing to pause my music, use google, etc.  would crash my game in the past. 

So I have just gotten used to playing this way now.

4 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

The problem you're having seems to have plagued a lot of people and there doesn't seem to be one solution to it but multiple and it appears that they might not actually work for every person.

Trust me , I know :(    

When I was playing via Steam I used to have this problem a lot.   I have read just about everything out there in the way of fixes.  

I quit having this issue after I bought the game from the owner but then.... the beta happened then the new version came out.  All of which I downloaded and used.

I try to keep my game current so I can enjoy what Black Liquid puts out .

I know its not my computer , it just had it's first birthday.   It's a Mid Tier Gaming Computer and was built for me.

Operating System: Windows 8.1 64-bit

System Manufacturer: ASUS

BIOS: BIOS Date: 06/13/14 17:52:11 Ver: 20.01  <-------- This is the oldest thing on my computer, but I know nothing about BIOS
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i5-4690 CPU @ 3.50GHz (4 CPUs), ~3.5GHz
Memory: 8192MB RAM
Available OS Memory: 8134MB RAM
Page File: 2937MB used, 8696MB available

DirectX Version: DirectX 11
DX Setup Parameters: Not found
   User DPI Setting: Using System DPI
 System DPI Setting: 96 DPI (100 percent)
    DWM DPI Scaling: Disabled
     DxDiag Version: 6.03.9600.16384 64bit Unicode

Card name: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760
       Manufacturer: NVIDIA
          Chip type: GeForce GTX 760
           DAC type: Integrated RAMDAC

Driver date:  8/25/2016

Driver version:  21.21.13.7270  (I know there is a newer one out, but this is the one that works the best with WoW: Legion)

Current Mode: 1920 x 1080 (32 bit) (60Hz)
       Monitor Name: HP w2338h Wide LCD Monitor

And I can play games like CoD, ESO, Morrowind and games like that on it and it doesn't give me any issues.

I am at wits end.  I am just gonna have to stick with my medium maps.  And even they can toss me one of these errors.  

Just not as often as I get them when trying to play a Large map.

Thanks for trying to help, :)

but I fear there is no help for me.   :(

Edited by rejectedegg
1 person likes this

2 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I was pretty sure it would be the same person, Paeng is definitely a unique name!

And wow! Your troubleshooting page is very comprehensive :) :hand1:

@Paeng 's guide has became my #1 read  ;)

1 person likes this

@KevinTheCynic and @Paeng

I will not be posting any thing further here about my game problems.

Why?

Because this thread is about Large Map seeds and has already gotten way off topic :(

My apologies to the OP

.... which just happens to be @KevinTheCynic  lol:D

Well, you still have my sincere apologies, Sir   :)

1 person likes this

Hey no problem at all, having all this info here means that others might find it if they have problems with large maps (plus I posted in the help section with a link to this page to draw more attention to it). I have no problem with thread drift particularly if it's relevant to the thread (which i believe it was) :D

1 person likes this

Yea, I know @rejectedegg has stated that she won't post more of her game problems in this thread, but @KevinTheCynic, I thought you were saying others had the problem too.

Are you saying this problem is unique to rejectedegg?  I found a few others reporting this error, but not on these forums.

I'm not getting feedback, so I cannot properly diagnose the problem.  It looks like @Paeng has already done a lot of research on this error, which means I'm spinning my wheels (especially with no real feedback pointing me in the right direction).

Basically, I'm new to the game, so I'm playing catch up, whereas you guys have been playing for years.  Should I even continue with my Video Settings Guide?

1 person likes this

9 minutes ago, Trasd said:

Yea, I know @rejectedegg has stated that she won't post more of her game problems in this thread, but @KevinTheCynic, I thought you were saying others had the problem too.

Are you saying this problem is unique to rejectedegg?  I found a few others reporting this error, but not on these forums.

I'm not getting feedback, so I cannot properly diagnose the problem.  It looks like @Paeng has already done a lot of research on this error, which means I'm spinning my wheels (especially with no real feedback pointing me in the right direction).

Basically, I'm new to the game, so I'm playing catch up, whereas you guys have been playing for years.  Should I even continue with my Video Settings Guide?

I think it is still worth doing your video settings guide unless you feel it is just replicating what's in another guide. @rejectedegg has some real-life problems to deal with at the moment so she's not likely to be online a lot and thus won't be able to give you any feedback for the moment (and this is also part of her not posting anything extra in this thread). While the Fatal Access Violation error has happened to a number of people who were playing Banished over the years, as far as I can tell no single fix that worked for everyone, has ever been found and different people quite often have to try completely different approaches to get their game running again.

The number of Fatal Access Violations did drop quite a lot after the game was updated and specifically when people started using the Beta "Modders" version. However it does still occur and often because of simple little things that are not immediately obvious. For example, sometimes a mod will not completely download and is smaller than its proper file size although the download agent assesses the download as successful - this actually happened to me yesterday when trying to download Necora's Maritimes mod, i had to use the alternate link to get the proper sized file. If someone tries to run the game and activate a mod that isn't complete because of bad download, the game will crash and often with the Fatal Access Violation. That issue is not something that I have seen mentioned very much in trouble shooting guides however I have an internet connection that randomly decides to screw up based on who-knows-what so I do suffer this problem with certain websites.

Having said all that, as far as I can tell @rejectedegg is having a unique problem. Her's is the only account I have read where the access violation occurs only when she tries to run a Large map (or the Very Large map supplied by Colonial Charter). The problem does not occur on Medium or Small maps. She runs the same mod configuration without problems on the smaller maps yet when she tries it on a Large map, sooner or later it will crash due to the access violation problem. 

Other than that I can't offer any more help, I don't know anything more that hasn't already been added to the forums here :( Until she is able to regularly get online again, we will have to wait for any extra details from her. I know that that isn't particularly satisfying when you're trying to diagnose the problem so the only thing I can suggest is pursuing the video settings guide if you still feel it's worthwhile (I personally think it is worthwhile, a few different guides and even guides for the same problem but written from someone else's perspective can be very useful).

1 person likes this

@KevinTheCynic, thanks, that was a straight forward, very informative answer!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think I can fix this for her (even considering my bad start), or at least, help determine the problem but, it won't be a quick fix.  Especially, if her problem is unique.  She will have to work closely with me though, and it might take quite awhile (as we've both said, not happening to our games makes it hard to diagnose).  I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember (my first computer was in 1979, before the PC was released).  I will approach her again after she returns.

I know she loves the game and I enjoy these challenges.  In the meantime, I will continue with the guide.

Thanks.

1 person likes this

2 hours ago, Trasd said:

@KevinTheCynic, thanks, that was a straight forward, very informative answer!

Maybe I'm too optimistic, but I think I can fix this for her (even considering my bad start), or at least, help determine the problem but, it won't be a quick fix.  Especially, if her problem is unique.  She will have to work closely with me though, and it might take quite awhile (as we've both said, not happening to our games makes it hard to diagnose).  I've been doing this for more years than I care to remember (my first computer was in 1979, before the PC was released).  I will approach her again after she returns.

I know she loves the game and I enjoy these challenges.  In the meantime, I will continue with the guide.

Thanks.

And this is exactly what makes the Banished community so enjoyable to be a part of, I've lurked on a few of the Banished fan sites and I'm always impressed with how helpful members try to be. Compared to other game forums where the usual response to someone asking for help is to tell them where the "search" function is found, the Banished community actually seems to want other Banished players to have a good time with the game.

It's really community minded compared to the individually minded (i.e. selfish) members for a lot of other games I've played. I suspect it's due to the nature of people who enjoy the "longer term" & less-action oriented game genres such as city-building, puzzle-solving etc. etc.

4 people like this

Found this one while out hunting: 

Parameters: <-- Click

Map seed: 1357

Terrain:  [CC] Lake Waters

Size:  [CC]Very Large

Climate: [CC] Marine

Conditions: [CC] Appalachian Forest - Adam&Eve

Edited by Castinar
1 person likes this

On 12/20/2016 at 11:56 AM, Castinar said:

Found this one while out hunting: 

Parameters: <-- Click

Map seed: 1357

Terrain:  [CC] Lake Waters

Size:  [CC]Very Large

Climate: [CC] Marine

Conditions: [CC] Appalachian Forest - Adam&Eve

Once I can get back to my gaming computer I'll have to check out this map seed! 

Another very large map with lakes, found this when trying the random seed selection.

Map seed: 455034084

Terrain: [CC] Lake Waters

Size: [CC] Very Large

Again, the bottom of the yellow box indicates the starting position for the map.

MapSeed 455034084.jpg

2 people like this

I have to say I am thoroughly enamoured of CC's Very Large maps as well as the Lake Waters terrain and I every so often I randomly generate a new seed to see what sort of map I can get. This latest one is interesting although still suffers a little from the typical Banished "round lake" syndrome. As always. the bottom of the yellow box is the start location for the map.

Note the town name, as posted in the Ridiculous Names thread, I hope my port is not worth a flood :D 

589d364b8bfa3_Badtownname.jpg.d3ceec972b4c8b98eed15dee82cc2511.jpg589d36669c41a_MapSeed18763202.jpg.754c40c08fe31f1a63cde1f6a4b87873.jpg

Edited by KevinTheCynic
clarifying some info
2 people like this

Another interesting map from letting the random seed generator do its thing.

Map Seed: 480080418

Map Type: [CC] Lake Waters

Terrain Size: [CC] Very Large

Bottom of the yellow box indicates starting position.

A curious aspect is that since I updated to build 1.0.7 and then starting using various mods from the Community Toolbar, the water areas on the maps have turned texture-less. In game they still show the blue colours and correct textures, just not on the mini-map (I'm using the UI Improvements: Maps mod, maybe it needs updating?)

58aa9456bddc6_MapSeed480080418.jpg.1c570daf18cc6aaa0bd681dedf3dc974.jpg

Another one from the random map generation although it's a bit of a surprise to see it is only one number different from one of the other randomly generated maps I posted above (that happens so rarely to me that I thought it was worth mentioning!) The map in question is Seed 18763202 mentioned a post or two above.

This is not what I would call a "great" map because it still suffers from the Banished "round lake" syndrome but it is still interesting, I think mostly due to the division of the map by the lakes and river.

Map Seed: 18763203

Map Type: [CC] Lake Waters

Terrain Size: [CC] Very Large

Bottom of the yellow box indicates starting position.

MapSeed 18763203.jpg

2 people like this