Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KevinTheCynic

Very large maps with lakes

79 posts in this topic
12 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Another one from the random map generation although it's a bit of a surprise to see it is only one number different from one of the other randomly generated maps I posted above (that happens so rarely to me that I thought it was worth mentioning!) The map in question is Seed 18763202 mentioned a post or two above.

This is not what I would call a "great" map because it still suffers from the Banished "round lake" syndrome but it is still interesting, I think mostly due to the division of the map by the lakes and river.

Map Seed: 18763203

Map Type: [CC] Lake Waters

Terrain Size: [CC] Very Large

Bottom of the yellow box indicates starting position.

MapSeed 18763203.jpg

I like this one.  Worth playing around with.

I'm still a bit 'meh' over Lakes or Valleys, there's no Lakes with Valleys, which have a great many lakes, but also lovely mountain ranges etc for my mining communities ...  
And my search still continues.
Will definitely load this one though.

1 person likes this

@QueryEverything I can definitely relate to that, if it wasn't for the mines from CC and New Medieval Town mining for resources would almost be impossible for me in the early stages of the game on many of the maps I've posted.

Truth is, I don't "need" such large maps but I want them because I want the option to expand "far & wide" because for me, this keeps me playing the map for far longer than I would with a Medium or Large size map. But as I mentioned, without those mines from CC or NMT, life would be very difficult in the early game on many of these maps without the ability to make, at the very least, iron tools.

1 person likes this

Posted (edited)

Oh wow, @Kedryn I love the look of these maps!! :D

Edited by QueryEverything
2 people like this

On 4/29/2017 at 10:21 PM, QueryEverything said:

Oh wow, @Kedryn I love the look of these maps!! :D

Some really interesting terrain there although I like the first one the most because of those two streams leading to another lake.

23 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

Some really interesting terrain there although I like the first one the most because of those two streams leading to another lake.

That's my favorite one so far too. I've only got a little forest community with two people and a child right now but I plan on growing up to the 'coast'.

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Kedryn said:

That's my favorite one so far too. I've only got a little forest community with two people and a child right now but I plan on growing up to the 'coast'.

If you use the coastal buildings in Discrepancy's Jetty And Bridge mod and Necora's Maritimes set alongside the dock and quay themed sets from CC, you can build up a decent sized community either on the shore or over the water itself. When I get Banished started (too many mods so it feels like it takes half an hour but is really about 8-minutes to start) I'll get some more screen shots of the settlement I've been building on map seed 959 (found on page 1 of this thread)

There's one image in the following thread from my town but it was taken to show the location of a trade post that was giving me some problems, so the picture doesn't show a lot of the town.

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

And the inland sea you have always dreamed of. Come visit our lake that is not a circle! Book your tickets today!

lakes8.jpg

Edited by Kedryn
2 people like this

I really like that one @Kedryn :)  Needless to say it very much reminds me of a  Rorschach test :D  
hahahaha:D

Thanks for sharing, I'm going to load that one up!!

2 people like this

Posted (edited)

@Kedryn that map is fantastic! It's very much the type of lake I have been searching for with my trawls through the random seed generator (particularly because it also has some islands). Even the river & stream placement is good :)

Edit: I see I'm not the only one who finds the menu does not display the Terrain Size when using CC Very Large maps.

@QueryEverything (reminds of a Rorschach test)... yes, yes it does O.o

I see... a butterfly...

Maybe that's just me

:P

:D

Edited by KevinTheCynic
2 people like this

Here are 2 seeds I found.

Both are Lake Waters on the Large map.

First one is 104197789

Second one is 931471263

20170520112401_1.jpg

20170520112705_1.jpg

4 people like this

I found an interesting one. My first thought was using the castle & fort stuff in those mountain bowls at the bottom.

map.png

mapstats.png

4 people like this

@critspirace that one's quite interesting. I really like that mountain area to the east of the settlement, feels like a proper mountain ridge rather than the few scattered hills you normally see.

2 people like this

On 6/22/2017 at 0:12 AM, critspirace said:

I found an interesting one. My first thought was using the castle & fort stuff in those mountain bowls at the bottom.

map.png

Nice! I'm gonna try this one right now.

I have ideas for a nice strong mining industry right over by that eastward mountain - I love that it's so close to the start point.

That stream under the mountain going east/west is going to make use of a canal system. 

Then if I get that far, my end game will be to build a castle bustling with life.

Thanks for the inspiration! :hand1:

2 people like this

Good to see more people are finding out about these maps :hand1:

And welcome to the all the new members, I'm glad that the forum is keeping people interested in Banished or giving them ideas for new towns :)

2 people like this

I have CC, but can't find how to terraform.  I know about leveling, but how do I just lower land to make lakes?

You can't really make lakes from flat ground.  There is a Terraform mod in the downloads section that will let you lower the terrain, but the water isn't there under the ground. If you lower the ground too much it will just turn into a little black hole.

The water only exists around the rivers and lakes, and only a few squares inland from what you can already see.

there is also NECORA'S "riffle mod" that lets you dig and add water. the riffle mod works shallower than the other terraform mod.it also has a different texture to the water.problem you will find is either will be squarish looking.the riffle mod does have more options to help.

i wish KRALYERG would make a  super large lake map that loaded as medium settings so the nat div mod would be fooled to load at the start.