Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Pilgrim

American Colonies Architecture Pack

94 posts in this topic

That's a big project :)

I'll help some if @Kralyerg helps ;)

Although, I'm not sure about the research side of things (I'm busy), but I can make houses from looking at photos.

2 people like this

Ive got the research, format and organization. I'd love to have you do the modeling. I'll send you some ideas for the first bunch later this weekend. 

I was thinking to do the regions as updates and roll them out over time. I would like to take the time to be as historically, visually accurate as possible. 

3 people like this

I love this idea, one thing I am missing from Banished is a true visual representation of the new world. You should look towards Atlantic Canada for inspiration too! There is some fantastic new world styles around Nova Scotia which is a mix of Scot, French (Acadian) and Dutch settlers. Around here (Antigonish, NS) a lot of the dairy farms for example are Dutch origin, while most of the churches are Scot origin and the older houses are good examples of 'new world' farm houses and town houses.

3 people like this

I would be happy to include Canada later on. Antigonish? Nice, my dad's family is from around Fort Lawrence and Maccan.  

2 people like this

I admit, i would love see more colonial US style buildings like is showed for example in Mel Gibson movie Patriot.

1 person likes this

i like this idea. pilgrim i take it u checked out the colonial mod and the north also? they have added several buildings to help with your idea. really good tpoint u made of doing different mod sets for those areas too.  i like how shockpuppet says he can make the buildings as long as he has pics. to me the modding would b the harder part. and we know he is busy getting the new site going.a while back i looked at some old mill pics and found an odd piece of info: some of the mill wheels were under cover,partially enclosed. that was to prevent the wheel from icing up and freezing stiff.

1 person likes this

@The Pilgrim... I'm not from here, I'm an immigrant (a nomad if you will). I came over from the UK 2 years ago. It is such a beautiful place here though I've not managed to leave yet!

Edited by Necora
1 person likes this

On 11/25/2016 at 9:29 AM, The Pilgrim said:

After the housing, if there is enough interest we could ad churches, schools, town halls ect. 

Would anyone like to help?

Big time ! Count me in, as a stone mason currently living in the New England area and a lover of neo-gothic architecture the idea is awesome !

tele_wireframe.jp2

2 people like this

So... I plan on having the first set of houses (Early New England) ready tomorrow or Thursday for 3d modeling. 

There will be 1 small house (3x2) with 3 variants, 1 medium house (4x3) with 5 variants, 1 large house, (5x4) with 3 variants, 1 unique house (The House of Seven Gables from Salem, Massachusetts) and a lean-to addition for each of the three sizes (3, 4 or 5x1). 

I am not sure yet on what the build cost will be for them. @ShockPuppet, would you mind if I used cc lumber, bricks and glass as resources for the construction? 

3 people like this

10 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

Excellent.  Where in New England are you?

Im near the New York - Connecticut border... This area is so rich in colonial architecture, the Oblong area as well as northwestern Connecticut still has several covered bridges with endless stone walls in every field. And so many villages and hamlets with untouched architecture.

@thethirdapple

Awesome.  My sister lives in Danbury. It's absolutely beautiful up there. I grew up in New Hampshire and love the old buildings all over New England. My dad actually has a company that restores period woodwork in the old colonials and victorians. 

1 person likes this

Out of curiosity, what is you process here? You mentioned that you do not model, are you making 2d sketches of the proposed buildings then giving them to someone who knows how to make the model magic happen? On what are you making the designs?

I am curious, you have got me thinking about what I would like to see in a banished mod now... and my mind wandered through ambitious places.

1 person likes this

I am making 2d sketches and providing pictures to help with texturing. I believe (hopefully) Shock or someone will do the 3d modeling. After that I will work on packaging the mod (with lots of help as I have never done it before)

2 people like this

On 11/29/2016 at 7:19 PM, The Pilgrim said:

I am making 2d sketches and providing pictures to help with texturing. I believe (hopefully) Shock or someone will do the 3d modeling. After that I will work on packaging the mod (with lots of help as I have never done it before)

Perhaps in a new topic/thread, will you be posting the drawings etc to this site? i would love to try my hand a creating some models and applying the UV maps, but do not have a Banished "modbox" setup to test them as a game .pkg... next steps get my winbox back up and running :), been using dual boot to play.

In looking at some of the .fbx files in the mod kit examples, Im surprised at the number of polygons. Is there an ideal count suggested ? 

apiary_polycount.png

1 person likes this

I find the Apiary example is well above what would be a normal buildings polygon/face count. It all depends on the amount of detail, particularly in props and decorations. Most of my own buildings are well under half the amount.

A lower polygon model is always going to be better for performance, especially when there are many of the same on the map.

That said, Banished still seems quite able at taking pretty large polygon models.

3 people like this

12 minutes ago, Discrepancy said:

especially when there are many of the same on the map.

I'd say that's the key... massed items (housing, crops(!) and such) need low poly count, while for really special/unique buildings devs can splurge a bit... within reason :D

3 people like this

@Discrepancy Thanks, and I just read thru your blender tutorial on "WOB".

Very helpful in understanding how best to model for Banished.

1 person likes this

If you, or anyone for that matter, do make some fbx files, but don't want to deal with learning the code, I'd be willing to code it up into a working mod.

3 people like this