Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Pilgrim

American Colonies Architecture Pack

94 posts in this topic

I love all the togetherness. I will be posting the small house designs in the morning as well as the reference pictures. 

If I get a chance I will get the medium houses out as well.

4 people like this

So here we go...  

First up we have a house based on the Peak House in Medfield, MA.  Important notes on this house include the high pitched roof, the low profile chimney and the roof rail.

Second is the Cox House of Salem, MA.  Here the important features are the gambrel roof, without a roof rail, the more pronounced midline chimney and the exposed corner beams.

The third house is based on the Hoxie House of Sandwich, MA.  Note the upright "storie and a half" structure as well as the normal sloped roof with rail and tall narrow end wall chimney. It also has exposed corner beams.

Throughout the period several design features were relatively constant.  First would be the use of diamond pane, leaded glass windows without shutters.  Commonly the windows of the second floor are smaller than those of the ground floor.  Also, nearly all houses of this period have a rough wooden medieval style door.  The exterior of the houses would either be of dark brown natural wood shingle, or clapboard painted dark brown, dark red or gray.  All of the roofs would have been of a light gray wooden shingle, with the chimneys being made primarily of brick (though there is some question as to whether they we originally made of rough stone and later replaced with brick and mortar due to the rarity of lime with which to make mortar in New England).  All foundations would have been made of rough stone.

I would like to see all three structures made with f-variants in all 4 period exterior textures.  They all share the same footprint and could be made from one icon with a total of 12 variants

Small Early New England Houses.jpeg

Edited by The Pilgrim
3 people like this

I will have reference photos shortly of the 3 houses.

1 person likes this

These look fantastic and should be quite straightforward to model in 3d, the sketches are brilliant as its easy to see them exactly from all sides. Well done.

2 people like this

Thank you good sir. More to come tomorrow. 

The easy thing about colonial architecture is that the Pilgrims and Puritans were all about simplicity, so as long as you pay attention to the few small details, historical accuracy is pretty easy. 

Edited by The Pilgrim
4 people like this

One more thing that just crossed my mind...  Whoever is modeling these, please keep the back and sides all the way to the edges of the tiles as building extensions will be integral to this mod. 

The front may be scooted back a bit to add steps or other decorative details though. 

4 people like this

Wow I didn't realize they would be so dinky in real life! Pretty cool little houses though, would look great in the game.

1 person likes this

Before I move in to the medium and large houses... Has anyone started working with the modeling on these?

1 person likes this

@The Pilgrim Yes, im collecting a few more references to the building materials used as well as building techniques. Especially if and what a foundation would be made of, also looking into the different types of roofing materials used at the time.

in my quick research there are many photo references to the use of planks for roofing and thatching, is this appropriate ?

IMG_0377.JPG

IMG_0379.JPG

IMG_0378.JPG

2 people like this

The bottom photo would be appropriate the top is of Plymouth Plantation and those house styles were only used there and at Jamestown. Red Ketchup over at worldofbanished has already made a mod specifically for those houses and is working on some f variants. 

The middle is not really of the area and period we are looking at at the moment. 

Roofing of this time (1620-1700) is almost strictly cut wooden shingle. 

2 people like this

By the way. I want to say a huge thank you to all of you who are involved in this project, have volunteered to become involved later on, who have supported this idea or even just furthered the conversation. The people of this community are absolutely amazing. 

4 people like this

I've put the houses you sketched into a list of things I'd like to model soon. I'm working on some fencing in 3d at the moment, I plan to start these houses next.

3 people like this

Those houses look very similar to the Colonial Houses mod by kid already included in MM. I love those houses.

2 people like this

1 hour ago, Raerae said:

Those houses look very similar to the Colonial Houses mod by kid already included in MM. I love those houses.

I am actually the one that had kid do that mod. I still love it. (I am said Pilgrim of "The Pilgrim's Rest" tavern in the mod). But this is an idea, both larger in scope and in historical accuracy. I am hoping to have kid be a part of this mod as well but I haven't seen him on this forum as of yet. 

2 people like this

PILGRIM  by "cut wood shingle" do you mean cedar shakes or thicker?? or is cedar shakes a different era all together? when did they use shale stone shakes??

10 minutes ago, stiles said:

PILGRIM  by "cut wood shingle" do you mean cedar shakes or thicker?? or is cedar shakes a different era all together? when did they use shale stone shakes??

I want to apologize for the delay in getting out the medium and large house sketches. Mostly it has beendue to real life getting crazy busy for the last couple of days, but also because I am playing with a few ideas for the mid-sized designs. I hope to have them out tomorrow or Friday. 

Thank you for your patience. 

3 people like this

its ok :)

Im busy too but I have this on my list and hope to start soon

(im not going anywhere lol ;) )

1 person likes this