Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

The Pilgrim

American Colonies Architecture Pack

94 posts in this topic

we heard that before and they sent you to the twilight zone for a while. lol jk. we know life and wives keep us from fun sometimes.

Ok, so here is where I am at... I am having a bit of confusion with myself over the matter of scale...  I have found an incredible resource at the library of Congress which contains architectural drawings of several thousand historical American buildings. I think I can readily convert these into designs for accurate models, but I need to figure out what we are using for a standard scale.  I am thinking it is between 7 to 10 feet per square (2-3 meters, maybe a bit over). 

Secondly, I have discovered that almost all of the buildings, regardless of shape, began construction as simple rectangular buildings.  I am wondering what you guys think about having the buildings start out as a smaller structure, and upgrade to larger buildings.  I think the only way this is possible is for the smaller building to be made with the same size footprint as the largest upgrade.  The other thing I was thinking is that additions to the original structure could be modular peices similar to what RK does with the NMT houses, or as ghost pieces.  

What say you my people?

I am learning modeling at the moment, so am by no means an expert, but I believe that 1 square is equal to 1 meter x 1 meter, and a bannie is 1 meter tall (they fit a square laying down). The buildings I have made so far have been too large, the latest one had a large door about 1.8 m tall which dwarfed the bannies. Made a good barn door, but too much for a building. In a smaller version, the door is 1.2 m high and is better, although could be a little smaller I think. You can see in the pics below that even the 1.2 m high door is more of a barn door than anything else. The buildings are 2x2, so in blender 2 meters x 2 meters. I am actually having a hard time thinking how to scale these down, because 1x1 will be too small, but 2x2 is too large. I might have to take up some space with decorations or something. 

PEIShore.jpg

As for the build stages, I guess you could have the smaller buildings the same footprint as the larger ones but fill it with road tiles and decorations etc.

58 minutes ago, The Pilgrim said:

but I need to figure out what we are using for a standard scale.

Standard Scale?  Surely you jest. :D

2 people like this

some plars dont like the idea of kicking ppl out of their homes to upgrade the buildings.i agree with amodular concept.as to your scale,i remember reading on WOB and i think a tile is under 5 ft.a bani layed on its back is longer than a tile.but that might depend on the program you use to mod with.i think it is a NECORA has found a trial and error process.

I am going to go with a scale of 6 feet per tile. 

Still want more feedback on modular design vs upgrade. 

8 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

I am going to go with a scale of 6 feet per tile. 

Still want more feedback on modular design vs upgrade. 

Modular design is great for any side by side or for multi family scenarios. Upgrades are great for starting small and going upwards (literally) 

PILRGIM the housess you showed designs for work as stand alone versions.we can modular add cellars to them.possably a wood storage could be attached.when u have a wall with a high window or no window then yes it could be set tight to the tile edge to leave the option of modularly adding on to the house later.i would like to see that especially with barns. with barns now when you add a fenceless pasture near the barn and build your own fence the corner where the fence meets the barn gives a hole for the animals to get out.i usually fake it with a tree or a bush.i like shocks idea in adding lofts or 2nd floors to use a modular idea verses a full upgrade. to me the upgrades dont yeild much. ww gain some in the firewood use but otherwise its all cosmetic. the loft or 2nd floor would add another residence. in the future as this project expands,i think as you design blacksmiths ,tailors,etc then it will be important to build modular and attach living quarters to those buildings. i'd like to see that not just as an added floor but also attached on the ground level.

After many discussions with you all and careful consideration, I am changing tack slightly on this mod. This evening, I will post complete sketches for base houses in 4x2, 4x3, and 5x3 all with f variants to be used for modular construction.  The modular additions (lean to, vestibule, ell, and several other mostly decorative peices) will be posted tomorrow. 

The addition peices will either add more storage or more families. This will represent the multigenerational housing design that was very common back in the colonial period. 

3 people like this

I haven't contributed anything to this discussion but I'd just like to add a vote of support. @The Pilgrim the houses you choose to mod look great and I believe they will be a great addition to the game. While I appreciate the original game wasn't designed to supply dozens of house styles, I like to have some variety and with all you fine people making mods, I have been able to get that. This mod will be another that I will happily add to my collection. :)

As promised... here are my designs for base houses and modular additions.  Forgive the long post but here is what I am looking for.  BTW this is just for the models only.  I'll talk with Kralyerg later about coding and packaging.

4x2 Houses

All variants should have versions with each of the siding textures.  The only this that should be different in this set is variant 2, which should have stone for the chimney instead of brick.

4x3 Houses

All variants should have versions with each of the siding textures except the top one, which should have only the shingle siding textures.

5x3 Houses

The main design should have versions with each of the siding textures.  Variant 1 (The garrison style) should have shingle siding textures only.  Variant 2 (The Georgian gambrel style) should have clapboard siding textures only.

Modular Building Additions

The lean-to additions is where this will get a little confusing.  There should be version in 1x2, 1x3, 1x4, 2x3 and 2x4.  The 1x additions should have a residential version, without a chimney, and a kitchen version with a chimney. The 2x additions should only be residential, with no chimney.

The ell additions... the single story ell should be have both residential (without chimney) and kitchen (with chimney).  The two story addition had the chimney built in, but is residential only.

All the additions should have all texture variations.

Textures

There seven siding textures I am looking for...

1. Gray (weathered look) wood shingles, with diamond paned casement windows and slab wood doors

2. Brown (weathered look) wood shingles, with diamond paned casement windows and slab wood doors.

3. Dark Red painted clapboard with sash windows and brown panel doors.  Trim should match paint color.

4. White painted clapboard with sash windows and red panel doors. Trim should match paint color.

5. Yellow painted clapboard with sash windows and white (maybe red, I'll let you pick which works better) panel doors. Trim should be white.

6. Brown painted clapboard with sash windows and white (or red) panel doors.  Trim should match paint color (may also look good red or white, you pick.)

7. Dark Blue-Gray painted clapboard with sash windows and white panel doors.  Trim should be white.

All of the foundations should be medium gray granite, chimneys should be red brick (except the one previously mentioned), and all roofs should be medium-dark gray (weathered) wooden shingles (probably a bit darker than the siding shingles).

Have fun guys... I know this is a big undertaking, but i think it will be amazing when we are done. I look forward to seeing what you come up with.

4x2.jpeg

4x3.jpeg

5x3a.jpeg

5x3b.jpeg

Modular Extensions.jpeg

2 people like this

Great sketches! Keep up the great work! I love how you try to stay historically accurate.

You inspired me to tweak/remake my rowhouses before but now you inspire me to also make corner houses. My houses were based off what I saw on Google Image Search. Are you applying the textures yourself or will ShockPuppet do that? If you do them yourself, do you have access to CC textures? I was planning on using monochrome with words placeholder textures on my models and send them to ShockPuppet (or rather upload them onto my Google Drive) for him to switch out with CC textures.

Edited by AzemOcram
1 person likes this

I believe that shock and a couple of others are going to do the modeling as i am completely lacking in that skill.  Thank you for the encouragement and I am glad i insoired you to go further with your work. I have been looking forward to your houses for a long time.

Yeah, I made my buildings in January without knowing the scale. I was told that 3 columns of windows was a bit much, making the windows too narrow. It should take me the course of a day or two of free time on my desktop (which I don't know when will happen) to fix the models. UVW unwrapping, however, might take too long so I will only do it on the last 2 tiers (because they are boxier)... unless requested to do it myself by ShockPuppet.

I would like to add a little fuel to the fire on getting this mod going... I would like to propose a little challenge... If I could get a working set of models by Friday... A $50 donation to Black Liquid shall be made in your name...  Who's in?

2 people like this

Your buildings are relatively easy to make in 3ds Max. I could whip up the models (untextured)along with my revised rowhouses over the course of 3 hours, upload all the models with a link here, and donate $30 when I do that. If I do my part before Tuesday 8pm UTC (12pm PST), I will donate an additional $20 on Christmas Eve if your houses and mine get made into either a standalone mod needing CC or MegaMod (or both) by Black Liquid. That means they could get a $100 Christmas donation.

2 people like this

Please tell me what you think of my attempt at modelling Hoxie House.

ThePilgrim_HoxieHouse.png

I wouldn't go by the first set of drawings as there was the (serious) problem of scale. Please use the drawings from page 3 posted on 12/16. The hoxie house is closest to the top design on the 4x3 houses. These drawings are much more accurate and based on the technical drawings I found from the library of Congress. 

But you have a good start. 

BTW the scale on the graph paper is 1 square =1 foot. 6 squares = 1 banished tile. 

Edited by The Pilgrim

bEYwzz8.png

Here are the main houses. I will upload the lean-tos, extensions, and corner pieces in a separate file.

Edited by AzemOcram
Removed old link
1 person likes this