Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Trasd

And so, it begins....

As I promised in my introduction, I will have a lot of questions, and so, it begins....

I am completely new to Banished, CC, and the entire builder\resource management game genre.  So far, I've had about 5 false starts, mostly with the vanilla game, but a couple with CC as well.  My last restart was because I couldn't find the fishery (which I found later, not realizing at first that the menu had more sub-menus).  This leads to my first question:

As a newb (sorry, but I find "noob" derogatory), should I begin with the vanilla version or CC (I cannot run the MegaMod on my laptop)?

To help me start, I checked out @ShockPuppet's Getting Started thread.  That was a bust (no disrespect towards ShockPuppet as I completely understand and sympathize with time restrictions and project priority).  I also read somewhere on the internet that there was a "Getting Started" PDF on the old site, but I was never able to confirm this statement.  This leads to my second question:

Can someone point me to a good "Getting Started" resource (I don't do well with videos, BTW, preferring text I can refer to later)?

Lastly:

Is there any specific maps that are considered more newb friendly (personally, I like 777, but I'm opened to others for learning purposes).

Any general advise?

Thanks in advance!

For those who may be interested in some of my work, I wrote a Baldur's Gate HEX Editing Tutorial, a Multiling O Keyboard layout (Android), and a Skyrim archery mod.  I have more out there, but most of it is older, like my Morrowind No CD Patch.

I don't plan on modding Banished because, for once, I just want to actually play a game without taking it apart!  LOL.

Edited by Trasd
2 people like this

46 answers to this question

@TrasdWelcome to banished, warning it will complete consume your free time if you let it, best play with caution lmao;)

As for starts, i would suggest playing vanilla banished and getting a real good feel for how to play before diving into the CC mods. It will give you both a solid grasp of the game and how to play as well as make things a lot simpler which should make learning a lot better. Then when you get a couple of successful towns under your belt go for cc. They completely expand the game with tons of options so if your not grounded in the base game I think it will be a bit overwelming. 

As to the newbs guides I this is the one I like to reference the most http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=229834233

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=404867761

http://www.gameskinny.com/lk739/banished-tips-for-quick-food-and-a-stable-supply-chain

http://www.wikihow.com/Survive-in-Banished

and while you said you prefer text watching let's plays of banish is a great way to learn just because you can see the different ways player play the game. (really there are many different ways to be successful)

Once you finally get good at banish and move on to the mods the forum has tons of charts and information on the new material, resources, production orders, etc so I run through the website will be all you really need. 

Hope this helps

2 people like this

@cainacol12 - Thanks, those are the kinds of resources I was looking for!

What I really like is that many of them say that I was doing it right, at least in the very (very) early stages.

I can see where this game can absorb hours and hours of time playing.  So much better than pay-2-win battle simulations (and leaderboards).

Thanks, all!  I'm ready to test my new knowledge.....

2 people like this

Well not to kick BL in the rump here , but using CC is modding it.

Place Storage buildings close to production areas.

Pasture, apiary, gather, hunter, fishing dock, wood cutter, forester, herbalist, and a few houses here and there t keep the baby boom going.

I tend to build my orchards 9x9 Dense and  Fields 9x9  to start out.

And don't cut down big swaths of trees,stone and iron.  Do it in patches as you need it.

Having  a church and cemetery makes your people happy also, but build it as soon as food and firewood is stabilized.

A school is also good to build so your children can become educated (this increases how efficiently they work).

Will post more as I think of more.

1 person likes this

I also would pause the game and take the time clicking open each and every button.  Just to familiarize yourself with what is where.

As far as modding goes... there is nothing wrong with modding your game.  If you do choose to mod it and would like to use CC to mod it with (CC adds lots more variety of things to build , which does tend to hold your attention longer than vanilla will, trust me) then I would suggest using CC: EA to start out with.

And the CC/BL mods are not designed to "take it apart" they are designed to add more to the game.  Which they do, very well :)

However I am not sure if CC:EA can work on Banished version 1.0.6 or not, I haven't tried it yet.

And I am not sure if @ShockPuppet or @Kralyerg have even posted up the downloads for any of those yet or not.

If they haven't and once we find out if it will work with Banished 1.0.6  I can send you the file for it if you would like to give it a whirl.

Edited by rejectedegg
1 person likes this

I would play vanilla Banished until you can successfully start a town.  The Achievements can teach you a lot (although I only got 6 before I added Colonial Charter).  I think YouTube videos are helpful. A lot of people like Pinstar's Crossroads series Go here.. I enjoy Skye Storme's series the most but he isn't as organized - start with his vanilla Banished series Here. Both of these are starts using Hard.

2 people like this

I think he means "I don't plan on modding Banished" meaning "I'm not going to create mods, just use them".

Why would you want to use CC:EA still?

2 people like this

5 minutes ago, Kralyerg said:

I think he means "I don't plan on modding Banished" meaning "I'm not going to create mods, just use them".

Good starting place for someone trying to get used to how CC mods work  *shrugs*   lol

I started out with Iron Curtain.

But each one of the BL CC mods always has more in each of them, which is what makes them great.

I just thought EA would be a nice starting point for @Trasd so they can get used to how the production cycles come into play in CC.

If my memory serves me weill, EA was pretty much were it started, wasn't it?

Isn't the order

IC

EA

CotGL

NF

TFA

or am I wrong?

On second thought maybe I should just go back over <----- there    lol

Edited by rejectedegg
1 person likes this

1 hour ago, Kralyerg said:

Yes, correct; I mean I don't plan on writing mods, just using them!

Thanks for all the advise!  I certainly have a bit to think about.  As far as the vanilla game, I got up to about 25 people before discovering that I could select specific maps via seeds.  That's the only reason I restarted then - my random map left a lot to be desired.

While searching for seeds, I found CC and thought it sounded very interesting.  Currently, I have NF and TFA.  I think I'll stick with TFA for a bit and, if I don't get aggravated or completely and hopelessly lost, I'll stay with it.

Thanks, again.

Edited by Trasd
Sorry, type-o! I put 50 people and meant to type 25; Android keyboard!
1 person likes this

I did have a great getting started section, im trying to recover the information its difficult.

3 people like this

With most folks suggesting it, I think I will actually start with the vanilla first.  I felt pretty comfortable with it (figuring out what was needed and, the menus) and that first town I got going a bit, but it was far from stable.  I want to get it at least self-sustaining.

Plus with the holidays, I won't have a whole lot of free time.  Hopefully though, I'll have the time needed to become proficient with the original version.

Again, thanks!

Thanks for the links @cainacol12 et. al.

@ShockPuppet, that would be great!

Edited by Trasd
2 people like this

welcome to banished. as to your question on maps: the map generator is very random so there is not really a good or bad map to start with. each player has their own style of play so they choose maps accordingly. you can spend a lot of time trying to generate a map you like. i will recommend keeping a notepad handy in case u do find a map you really like. thou the codes are randomly generated,the same code will give the same map from 1 start to the next providing you have the same mods installed.

as to getting used to the game, i recommend the vanilla version just to get used to the keys and how the game plays.it wont take long and you will find yourself wishing for things you dont have: a mill for grain,a bakery,a butcher shop,etc. then u can either add a few mods on or dive into the world of CC.  to me CC is about 10 times the game as the vanilla due to all the extra mods and the productuion chains.for a newbie you might want to try REd ketchups NMT mod before the CC or add both. you will find you can build and use the NMT buildings before the CC's.  as you research various mods,you will see the building styles are different. each person has different likes and style all their own.

as to playing on a laptop, the game will load and run slow. you might try turing off the disasters AND

2 people like this

as to playing on a laptop, the game will load and run slow. you might try turing off the disasters and autosave. zoomin way in helps pick up game speed also. try pausing the game and design set the workers where you want them,and then zooom way in and un pause. it might help the game flow easier. also instead of loading the mega mod try the version just before that. 1.5 i think it is. the new frontier CC has all the other CC versions included with it. i'd also reccommend an age mod later. that will change the population growth rate.

stability can be a challenge to find. keep the workers busy. watch your food count,firewood,tools,etc. the banis have a tendancy to run out when you least expect it. if you overbuild houses your population will stall out. there are a few charts and guides on the net.

2 people like this

19 hours ago, rejectedegg said:

Well, almost...

Colonial Charter: The Forge Awakens (1.60, 1.61, 1.62)
Colonial Charter: New Frontier (1.50, 1.51, 1.52)
Colonial Charter: Curse of the Golden Llama (1.40, 1.41, 1.42, 1.43)
Colonial Charter: Excellent Adventure (1.30, 1.31, 1.32)
Colonial Charter: Iron Curtain (1.20, 1.21, 1.22, 1.23, 1.24)
Colonial Charter: Maple Harpoon (1.0, 1.1, 1.2)
Colonial Charter: Turbo (1.052)
Colonial Charter: 1620 (1.0)

:ph34r:

Oops... sorry for double-posting...:face15:

3 people like this

What:shape12: 

You mean somehow I missed some of them :o

NOOOOOO :(

Here is what I have 

My CC's.jpg

1 person likes this

5 minutes ago, rejectedegg said:

Here is what I have 

You said you started with Iron Curtain, but you don't have the Iron Curtain mod file.  The first 3 releases all shared the same filename (ColonialCharter1620.pkm) CC:EA was the first to have it's own name.  The ColonialCharter1620 file that you have there looks like it's the Maple Harpoon 1.12 version. The one right before Iron Curtain.

1 person likes this

17 minutes ago, Paeng said:

And when I spoke about that I meant the Production Chains.

But being that I somehow missed some of the versions that could be why it seems to me that EA is when we started getting the thicker Production Chains :)

10 minutes ago, Kralyerg said:

You said you started with Iron Curtain, but you don't have the Iron Curtain mod file.  The first 3 releases all shared the same filename (ColonialCharter1620.pkm) CC:EA was the first to have it's own name.  The ColonialCharter1620 file that you have there looks like it's the Maple Harpoon 1.12 version. The one right before Iron Curtain.

I did

I am on my 3rd computer since way back then   lol

Alot of my mods I even had to go re-find again.

I know it was either you or Shock that had a computer meltdown, trust me I know your pain  

I also had my external HD go out on me, although that was due to my own foolishness  lol

I tired to stuff too much into it and it screamed at me then locked up

So I lost a lot of my stuff there also.

Edited by rejectedegg

I think we both did at one point or another.  Luckily CC is stored online so it was always safe.  But lots of WIP things have been lost over time. :(

1 person likes this

22 minutes ago, rejectedegg said:

What:shape12: 

You mean somehow I missed some of them :o

NOOOOOO :(

Here is what I have 

My CC's.jpg

Wow!  I haven't seen a mod collection like this since my all time favorite game, Oblivion.

I'll get there.....

2 people like this