Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Necora

Maritimes Edition

731 posts in this topic

So I might have lied when I said I wasn't building things. These were to initially test some textures as I found the resource sketchup texture club, free registration with a 15 a day limit, but such a vast range of textures, it is hard to decide what to use. 

www.sketchuptextureclub.com

Although, I couldn't find a good red shingle texture, so I colorized a gray one, it doesn't look all that bad. These buildings will ultimately be a level 2 blacksmith and tailor, inspiration from Sherbrooke NS.

Blacksmith02.jpg

I've also been practicing sculpting smaller objects such as anvils and things. Want to improve the decoration of my models.

Blacksmith01.jpg

4 people like this

@Necora I've had a bit more time to play with Banished and I have found an interesting problem. I have Maritimes placed above CC and there is a Material with the look of coal but no name (it's obviously coal or at the very least coke, because it has the icon for it and gets stored in the materials stockpile). I don't have any mines in place yet, I bought the material from a trader specifically because it had no name (and I thought it was probably meant to be coal so I wanted to see what stockpile it would be stored in).

I built the Port Royal blacksmith and set it to make Steel Tools. Although two seasons have passed, the blacksmith has not made anything, he seems to be caught in a loop whereby he goes to the stockpile and collects the unnamed coal, takes it to the blacksmith and then carries it back to the stockpile. I have some other blacksmiths built (from the Tiny Compilation mod) but they are set to make Iron Tools so I have not tested for the same situation with them.

I'm going to place Maritimes below CC and see if the situation persists. If it does persist, I'll check the blacksmiths from other mods to see if they get the same problem. After that it'll be a case of building a mine to produce coal and see if the product is named as coal or left unnamed.

QUICK UPDATE: I placed Maritimes below CC and it made no difference to the unnamed coal but it did lead me to check some other mods that deal with coal. I'm thinking that it may be the Firebundler Firewood mod as that was the only mod I recently added and the unnamed coal only appeared recently.

Edited by KevinTheCynic

And a further update, some mod or other is interfering with coal. I've turned off mods that I thought could be causing the issue and that's had no effect. I built a standard CC modified Banished mine and got it producing coal however the coal is unnamed and none of the blacksmiths seem to be able to use it. I've set blacksmiths other than the Port Royal smith to create Steel Tools and none of them have been able to use coal while it is unnamed (and thus cannot make any Steel Tools).

More investigating is on order but if it persists then I'll have to post something in the help section :(

Okay... I think I have solved the mystery but not the problem.

The unnamed coal problem disappeared after I started a new game (as opposed to continuing a previous game) with the Maritimes mod added. A minor hiccup that has been known to occur with adding updated mods to a previously saved game so no real mystery or problem there.

The lack of Steel Tools is still a concern though and I've found two mods where it seems the blacksmiths have a problem with coal. I built smiths from various mods and set them to produce Steel Tools and this they did without any drama except for the Plimoth Plantation mod from Kid1293 and the Maritimes mod. Both smiths would store iron and wood for use in making tools when set to make Iron Tools but as soon as they were changed to make Steel Tools, workers from both smiths got stuck in a loop where they collected coal, delivered it to the smiths and then the coal effectively disappeared, then the workers would go and get more coal, deliver it, the coal disappeared and the cycle continued.

It could very well be a compatibility problem with CC because CC changed coal from vanilla Banished so that it was a material and not a fuel. I haven't tested either the Plimoth Plantation mod or the Maritimes mod without CC yet but that's on the Test List further down the track. For the moment my next test is to place Plimoth and Maritimes above CC (they are below it at the moment) and see if that changes the situation.

UPDATE: With both Plimoth and Maritimes mods place near the top of my mod list (and quite far above CC), I had smiths from both mods set to produce Steel Tools. Neither of them could seem to deliver coal for the purpose of making Steel Tools in the manner described above. However, I saved the game, used Quit to leave that session and then tried to reload it to see if a fresh load would alter anything. It sorta did, I got CTD from the Fatal Access Violation problem. However loading from a total restart (i.e. Exit from game, restart game, load the save) started up the saved session without any problem. I think this is more likely the known Banished bug where you need to totally Exit from the game for mods to take affect rather than any further problem with the mods.

UPDATE 02: The game will run with all mods active and the Plimoth and Maritime smiths will happily produce Iron Tools or anything else that does not require coal. It appears that coal once delivered to either of those two blacksmiths is immediately consumed, i.e. if I had 100 coal in the Materials Stockpile, the worker collects 10 coal, delivers it to the smith where it immediately disappears from the smith shop inventory, the worker goes back to get more coal, the Stockpile has only 90 coal left, worker collects another 10, delivers it to the smith where it is consumed, the Stockpile now has 80 coal left. This cycle continues until there is no more coal left at the Stockpile.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
1 person likes this

I have the same noname error with my games, and similar mods installed, it's been like that for a couple of weeks, I wasn't sure what caused it and hadn't followed up as yet.

I hadn't checked production, but that may explain why when I have 6 blacksmiths I have very, very tools.

Does anyone know how many blacksmith buildings per population?  And is there a blacksmith mod where you can employ more than one BS at a time.
None of the mods I use (tiny compilation, MM & ... name escapes me), only allow one at a time.

I've had to set one of my BS buildings to wood only just to try & keep up.

BTW:  @Necora, I've had a hospital day today and haven't had a chance to play, so I look forward to gaming tomorrow :)
Yeah, my buildings are a completely different theme, it's just that your Orange Maritime Shorebuildings remind me of them :D

Update:
I don't have "Coal" showing, I have the icon image but no name.  I do however have Steel Tools being made, I'm just not keeping up with usage which is entirely frustrating.

Screenshot327 coal.jpg

Edited by QueryEverything
updated

OK guys, thanks for the info. I'll look into it. Off the top of my head, I don't know what could cause this as the BS in the Maritimes is identical to the vanilla version. I have not changed coal nor have I changed steel tools.

8 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I have Maritimes placed above CC and there is a Material with the look of coal but no name

That makes it seem like an issue with the coal UI, if there is no name. It turns out, this is where using batch replace programs for editing the .rsc files fails if you don't thoroughly check them afterwords, as it had changed the string name to 'material', so when it looked or a string name 'coal', it found nothing so was blank. I have fixed this.

8 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

collects the unnamed coal, takes it to the blacksmith and then carries it back to the stockpile.

This happens when the building in question has an incorrect or missing storage flag. However, the storage flags are correct in the PRBlacksmith, so it might be due to the issue above.

5 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

The unnamed coal problem disappeared after I started a new game (as opposed to continuing a previous game) with the Maritimes mod added. A minor hiccup that has been known to occur with adding updated mods to a previously saved game so no real mystery or problem there.

This might be due to load order. There was a mistake in my mod, but if you run CC above it then CC coal should over ride it and show the correct name.

then the coal effectively disappeared

This is strange that it is disappearing, they should just keep moving it back and forth. I assume this is just an issue with the resource name, otherwise I don't know because the PRblacksmith does have the correct storage flags of 'Fuel', 'Wood', 'Iron', and 'Coal'.

It could very well be a compatibility problem with CC because CC changed coal from vanilla Banished so that it was a material and not a fuel.

That is certainly possible, although the PRBlacksmith does still have the storage flags for both fuel and coal (FYI the CC and Maritimes 'Material' flag is literally a name change, under the hood it is still 'coal'). I'm not sure how K removed coal as a fuel, I assume they just removed the 'fuel' flag from the coal.rsc. I'll ask and double check, it is something I would like to do anyway.

UPDATE 02: The game will run with all mods active and the Plimoth and Maritime smiths will happily produce Iron Tools or anything else that does not require coal. It appears that coal once delivered to either of those two blacksmiths is immediately consumed, i.e. if I had 100 coal in the Materials Stockpile, the worker collects 10 coal, delivers it to the smith where it immediately disappears from the smith shop inventory, the worker goes back to get more coal, the Stockpile has only 90 coal left, worker collects another 10, delivers it to the smith where it is consumed, the Stockpile now has 80 coal left. This cycle continues until there is no more coal left at the Stockpile.

I've never seen this before in all of my (many) mistakes haha. I wonder if it is due to the change in storage flag of coal. It is odd though.

So in summary, I found one error in the string tables. I will test now and see if that makes any difference.

2 people like this

@QueryEverything Well, I know that when I get to a population of around 100 I need at least two blacksmith buildings, and they need to be producing iron tools, otherwise supply doesn't keep up with demand. I honestly only switch to steel tools very late in the game when I have a blacksmith in every small community, so probably far too many for what I need. RE. the coal name, that should now be fixed, just compiling to test.

2 people like this

One little line of code later...

Screenshot28.jpg

Screenshot27.jpg

Sorry about that folks. I'm now going to test with CC.

2 people like this

OK we have in incompatibility issue with CC and Coal. If you place the mod either above or below CC, the Blacksmith will not be able to use coal. If you use maritimes without CC, then steel tools are produced just fine (with my new fix). This is likely because the storage flags are wrong on the blacksmith building compared to CC, so I'll have to check with K to see what they did and replicate it. 

I'll post the updated mod then I get this info and make the changes to coal.

Thanks for your patience!

2 people like this

NECORA, sounds like you set the mod to work with the vanilla not CC.most things i guess you can get away with that,must be coal is an exception. when you fix this to work with CC, i'd be curious to know if it works without CC then.

KEVIN good job with the testing.why did you try to add a mod and keep playing instead of reloading the game 1st?? that was a ooops?? never do that. always quit when adding a mod and reload entirely. i seldom even try to keep a save game and add a mod to it. as you know the mod order becomes a "needle in a haystack" to find errors. my comp used to shuffle the mod order itself when it fatal error kick out on me. that was very frustrating.  glad you is finding the errors so they can be fixed before NECORA gets building mods too far ahead. i am glad you are testing above and below CC both.

QUERY,as to the tool shortages, lots of times it's a mtter of running out of a material. iron ore usually. as the game progresses, i like to set the blacksmiths to different tools. 1 to stone,1 to rough,and 1 to iron,etc.plus i have a couple of those "mini's" set to hidecoats that in a shortage can be flipped to tools.i don't know all the #'s,i build villages and try to keep a bs in each so my supplies aren't all stored far away.biggest thing is to remember to up the limits as population grows. and to up it farther of what you are trading. whatever you use at the trading poat gets repulled from stocks. that can cause a shortage to the banis as  well.

1 person likes this

@stiles I'm sure everyone here knows it's really frustrating to play a game for hours and then one little thing happens and corrupts the save or causes CTD (or Banished's favourite Fatal Access Violation) so when testing a new mod I try to use as many different approaches for a test as I can think of. This includes deliberately doing the wrong things to try and force the mod to crash. It's a brute force approach but it sometimes reveals problems really quickly that otherwise stay hidden for many turns of normal gameplay. The information about what I did to force a crash can be important to a mod maker sometimes because it reveals a problem they didn't get when they tested the mod (because they installed and ran the mod the correct way)... and there will always be players who don't follow the instructions (or won't read the Read-Me notes) for correctly installing a mod.

I've actually been able to add a lot of Banished mods to a saved game and had the save playable for many game years. Updates to mods in use tend to be the biggest cause of problems if adding them to a saved game. When a saved game becomes too unstable I delete it and start again trying a different method.

@Necora From what I see over at the WoB site in regards to the Plimoth Plantation mod, it suffers the same problem with coal & steel tools. The mod author said basically that the CC mod changes flags & functions from the vanilla game and he infers that his mod was made in line with the vanilla flags & functions. He appeared confident that the inclusion of his mod into the MegaMod would address the problem (I'm assuming because authors supply their string tables to allow their mods to be incorporated into MegaMod) - however... I don't use MegaMod so that's a non-starter for me but what it does imply is that the coal problem is a compatibility issue with CC's changed fuels & materials.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
adding missing bracket
1 person likes this

Oh and @Necora you have nothing to apologize for, you've managed to pump out several updates of your mod in the course of just a few weeks (or has it been less time than that?) It's a hell of a lot of work for one person to create, texture, code, check and test every aspect of a large mod so we players are in effect, your beta testers! :D

With the level of quality of Banished mods, I reckon we players get rewarded well enough for our little bit of testing & feedback.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
spelling error... it is 03:25 in the AM so my typing is bad... that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.
2 people like this

excellant work KEVIN. i haven't tried making steel tools with the plymouth mod yet aka "plantation" mod. does it matter if above or below CC for that 1?? as i stated,i leave some of the tool makers set to lower grade tools on purpose. that is a gppd workaround but no new players might not think of that. it is always good to keep those modders informed for sure. one of the reasons it was good to see NECORA opt for a break. he was designing and building ahead,lol. glad he has more ideas,but sure his head is spinning by now. you think its time to tell him what he started doing and what he has done went different directions yet?? or should we let him run away with ideas farther?? lol

2 people like this

@stiles haha the Port Royal was a little side track, but I assure you the rest is on course ;) the idea was always a fishing based mod, but also to fill in some gaps that I believe existed in the colonial theme of the game. While others (CC, DS, Ketchup, Kidd...) have gone down a more medieval route, I really wanted more colonial and new world buildings. Around Nova Scotia, fisheries and ship building were a major factor of colonial life, the same with New England. But I always wanted to add more churches, schools etc. to the game because I am a sucker for variation. While the CC buildings, esp. the new ones, are without a doubt outstanding, I want more of a colonial flavour, so decided to try it myself! So it seemed natural to have fishing/ship building as the basis of the mod. On the other hand, things did snowball and I ended up having to add a lot more production chains to support this industry, especially to keep it as a stand alone mod. I also have some ideas for more chains, such a building that turns wood into pitch and charcoal etc.

@KevinTheCynic I really appreciate the feed back and issues. One of the problems with testing is that I can't spend too much time doing  it, especially as some of these additions are later in the game. I can and do use the de-bug menu to test what I can think of, but it is not the same as playing it through.

So it seems the issue with CC is a storage flag issue. I'll dig into it a little deeper.

2 people like this

Look at the storage charts in the wiki to see the flags used in CC, (in the header), there are differences. Coal is a fuel I think. If you are looking for a very large and partly nautical nautical chain, I have researched turpentine, have hand written notes, warning it very complex. You would need several building and products.  :face48: 

2 people like this

@Denis de la Rive thanks. I got confused between the names of the storage flags under the hood - what is coal and what is coalfuel. As for nautical chains, I'd like to see your notes if you don't mind sharing them. I was thinking of turpentine too think that pine pitch might be easier to start with, you only need one building for it and it can be used in a range of items for future additions. Turpentine you need to distill, pine pitch is made from burning roots and branches of pine trees (wood in game) in an anoxic environment, and it produced charcoal and pine pitch. So you only need one building with the input of wood to produce a fuel and a material. Pitch can then be used with hemp for corking and a more advanced version of rope, and various other things.

2 people like this

I looked at pin tar, also, there is a nifty visual that you could use, in RL its dismantled after each use, but you could make it a building in Banished. I have visuals for turpentine making stills too. 

So you start with logs for pin tar and make pitch and products you indicated, but you can also combine it with turpentine to make nautical supplies, and health chests for naval use, (tonic, camphor, purgatives, and such). I dont think you need to make each component, just the final product.

What is interesting is you can make turpentine, or the solid form rosin without logs. You have trees drop tree sap, (which can have other uses, like maple products, paint or dyes), that is collected like with wild foods. You could use logs, but historically pines were milked like maple without cutting the trees, and all that involves. It can also represent beech sap.

Uses of turpentine, or rosin, (same production method, just a solid), its a paint thinner, and solvent as such very useful in naval circules. Paint, varnish, wax, camphor, tonics, flavour for gin, and as lamp oil. In the 17 to early 20th century it was crucial to any navy, it is generally obscured by the term naval supplies that included many things derived from it. You could even push the production details to have chains using beeswax, herbs, alcohol, and a second dose of tree sap. If you wanted to you could make perfumes, and red pain with vermillion, (an important part of the fur trade, but you need a mine).

Building on this you get tree sap, (beech oil) to make "Russian" leather, by a process resembling tanning. Its waterproof, so again many naval uses, it also is used to make high end furniture, or boots. I could see it being used in many products used on ships. 

So you see it can get very complicated, if you want it to. In you mod I think nautical supplies, and medicine chest would fit with the nautical theme. 

Here are the images I found, from some of them you get an idea of how important this forgotten industry was.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzHkvl_n1VXXZFpPSGh2SU12X1k

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0BzHkvl_n1VXXb1NXYldMWDRHS1k

Happy to help with research or design, sorry not good with coding.

2 people like this

NECORA, we are not complaining at all. we like variety as well. the fort was a nice addition. as to the colonial style,i hope pilgrim keeps woking on his ideas. that was to be  a huge mod set. i changed my game by adding THE NORTH to it. i have no "fish". i have salmon and trout,no "fish".not a big deal. i can't dry or smoke or salt no fish as far as i know.

@stiles It doesn't seem to matter where the Plimoth Plantation mod is placed, it will not make any Steel Tools if it is used with CC. I placed it above and below CC and the result was the same. I mentioned to @Necora that the mod author (Kid1293) had said over at WoB that the Plantation mod uses vanilla flags for coal but CC changes those flags. Because of this, it won't be compatible with CC no matter where you locate Plimoth Plantation in your mod list.

The only way to get the Plantation mod to make Steel Tools is to use the mod without CC :( I don't want to do that so I'll put up with the lack of Steel Tools from the Plantation Supplies building and just use another blacksmith to make them.