Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Necora

Maritimes Edition

611 posts in this topic

and keep in mind, the vanilla barn doesnt allow non-edible food

3 people like this

how many different sets have you made so far NECORA?  and here u told us u didnt know how to mod. lol u have done awesome.

4 people like this

17 hours ago, Necora said:

I like the idea of using inedible flags, although not sure how to do it. Perhaps you put the food under a different resource limit i.e. making the maple sap a textile rather than a food. But that would give more control.

About the one resource option, that is definitely an idea. I like the idea behind the garden mod that Kid made, although tbh I would have done it slightly different and instead of a sorting stall I would have made it into a mini garden lot that does the same thing, the bannie gets a 'seed vegetable' which is grown in a large crop field, that gets "planted" in the mini garden (a 2x2 tile lot or something) and produces a small range of various vegetables. Then you can have a functioning back yard garden, and can also apply it to a greenhouse. Or instead of having the seed vegetable grown in a crop field, a generic seed can be grown in a larger greenhouse or other building that is then used in the mini gardens and green houses. I think this might be a nice idea actually, it kinda mixes the garden mod of Kid and also the old Greenhouse that I believe @Ketchup made, if I am not mistaken. You grew seeds to plant for the trees etc. as decorations.

So in this case instead of 1 gatherer and forester per resource chain, we have just one of each building that harvests a generic item 'Wild Roots', 'Wild Fruits', 'Wild Saps', 'Wild Materials', 'Wild Goods', which then get processed into their subsequent parts, so wild fruits become blueberries, cranberries, apples etc.?

It is an interesting idea, although we already have 4 types producing 4 items, and I can think of a couple more if we want to add a fur trapper to this type of chain. That will either border on too powerful, or it will reduce the amount of each resource you ultimately end up with because it is split into so many things. You would definitely need to balance the output, so that 10 wild items = 10 random combination of foods. Another slight issue is that if all of these things are being harvested, you really need all of them to be used otherwise they just get feathered (my term for a useless item that takes up all of your resource limit or storage space) (p.s. when I call feathers useless it is just because I personally never set up anything to use them, nothing wrong with them at all!). So you are expecting that the player has the whole thing set up rather than just one of a certain one. 

I do like the original way because you can choose what you gather, unless I do introduce a small gatherer for each type of resource, and they just collect all of that one type. It would have to sit on a very small square to take up less space... maybe a 1x1 or 1x2 with a road. 

Hmm, interesting. I am at a bind now. I can't decide between one or the other. Anyone else have any ideas on this? @ShockPuppet or @Kralyerg what do you think about this sort of thing and balancing it well? Specific gatherers like what I made or more generic things like Stiles suggest? I can't decide.

This may not really solve the issue for you but I am viewing the situation based on how specialized the gatherer is, if they are part of a production chain that requires resources specific to your mod I would think they are better off being specific to that particular resource. If they are more generalized or perhaps gathering resources found in other large mods, then perhaps they should gather generic items (i.e. those resource supply items/resources shared across various mods). No matter which approach you take I would also suggest that you go with the one that feels more appropriate to what you want the mod to do.

Edited by KevinTheCynic
spelling correction
2 people like this

I tested the mod - my observations:

a) pretty white church - but a little small faithful 20 people, other small churches have 60 people [need to put 3 white churches]

b) Crystal Barn - It has 1 "Building supplies" - maybe without the "Building Supplies" do not have to run CC

c) the lack of a small hospital - [white and flavor ...]

mod is fantastic and all the buildings are wonderful - thanks for the work and the effort on this mod

2 people like this

2 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

This may not really solve the issue for you but I am viewing the situation based on how specialized the gatherer is, if they are part of a production chain that requires resources specific to your mod I would think they are better off being specific to that particular resource. If they are more generalized or perhaps gathering resources found in other large mods, then perhaps they should gather generic items (i.e. those resource supply items/resources shared across various mods). No matter which approach you take I would also suggest that you go with the one that feels more appropriate to what you want the mod to do.

I think what I am going to do is go ahead with the original plan, then see how that works. It means I have to make a few trees, but that should be OK. I'm also going to make the gatherer and forester lots smaller so they take up less space in the radius. 

33 minutes ago, taniu said:

a) pretty white church - but a little small faithful 20 people, other small churches have 60 people [need to put 3 white churches]

b) Crystal Barn - It has 1 "Building supplies" - maybe without the "Building Supplies" do not have to run CC

c) the lack of a small hospital - [white and flavor ...]

mod is fantastic and all the buildings are wonderful - thanks for the work and the effort on this mod

Thanks! Oh ok, yup I will increase the number of worshipers, I kinda pinched the file from the small Port Royal church and forgot to change the number. Probably the same for the school too! As for building supplies, you should be able to get them through trade, but I do agree and will probably replace it with more lumber and iron in the next update. And yeah, I put a hospital on the list the other day, I overlooked that one!

Cheers

2 people like this

@Necora Maritimes has, like a number of other "small town" mods, become an integral part of my game setup* and I would not consider playing without it anymore (particularly because it adds some extra food collection options and some unique building options, e.g. the Port Royal set) but it is obviously well able to stand on it's own and with the extra buildings you're planning on adding it becomes even more capable as a stand alone mod.

* I can't help myself, I love the variety and the planning options mods like CC, NMT, DSSmallVillage, Maritimes and so on give me. With all the talented modders releasing buildings this year and last year, I feel like a kid let loose in a toy shop! :D

2 people like this

I'm really liking the tower and cache "mini-buildings". They're visually appealing and small enough for those tighter spots where you might want to supplement existing forest resource collectors but not replace them completely.

1 person likes this

I've adjusted them slightly, much better. Also added another one... I would say guess what it will be but you can't really make out the textures in it. The AO added too much shadow to them.

Screenshot199.jpg

Screenshot200.jpg

Now I will make another set of houses, slightly larger and warmer, then I have to do the trees, add a few and group them up to spawn specific resources. Then, I'll put it up on here eventually to be tested.

Screenshot201.jpg

Screenshot202.jpg

Almost there...

Screenshot203.jpg

3 people like this

@Necora Now while I suspected that Canadians like fir trees a lot I didn't expect you to love them that much! :o

:D

:D

But on a serious note, I am really looking forward to the next edition of Maritimes :)

1 person likes this

The new buildings look fantastic. I eagerly await the update!

1 person likes this

@NecoraI am loving the updated 1.4(.4?) mod :)

2 things, and sorry to be a pain.  The issue with the Tailor is back, I can't place the new Tailor (the white building) on an established road, like the first Tailor bug I reported the other week.

2)  the Barn no longer lines up correctly with either the stable or the dairy in the Crystal buildings.  I thought it may be because I have the mod that alters the path of the road, but even with that disabled the buildings no longer line up.  The barn has either an overhang, or the bottom building sits out a little.  I don't have the building supplies to check when it's built, however the footprint won't line up correctly.

Otherwise, I am loving the additions :D

@QueryEverything hmm. The barn has been fixed, and it also got a new AO for good measure. As for the tailor, well, it shouldn't! I checked the template file and everything is as it should be, all of the 0's and 1's and #'s and .'s are where they should be. I just checked it in game too and it is OK. I know it is one of those annoying questions, but did you try demolishing any that you might have had on the map when you loaded up the new version? Try demolishing all PR Tailors and  reload, see if that helps. Otherwise, try a new map just to see (Debug menu is your friend). Otherwise, I'm not sure what to suggest only that perhaps it for some reason didn't get included when I packaged up the most recent version. Will definitely be done for the next one!

@mellowtraumatic thanks! I'm adding a lot of content to this next update, or at least it feels like I am, so it is taking longer than I had planned. Getting there though.

@KevinTheCynic ha yea, well I've spent some time improving them. I tell you what, trees are hard! The maple and aspen were not so bad, it was just a case of adding a new texture to the fig example in the mod kit then re-arranging/sizing it to look good. The conifers though, they took a lot of playing around with and they still don't look great but more acceptable at least. Unfortunately they don't sway with the wind, so I gotta see what I can do about that.

From left to right... Aspen, Fir, Maple, Spruce, White Pine. Note - names are approximate, they actually look nothing like IRL but hey, it gave my girlfriend who studied botany a chuckle. 

Screenshot209.jpgScreenshot210.jpg

Edited by Necora
2 people like this

The aspen and the maple look great. One thing that might help the other three would be randomizing the placement of the branches. 

2 people like this

The only problem is that the trees seem to clash rather garishly with the trees that already exist 

1 person likes this

NECORA,asny way to get a set of your mods without google drive?? google won't work. says because i am using iE9. thanks

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, Necora said:

@QueryEverything hmm. The barn has been fixed, and it also got a new AO for good measure. As for the tailor, well, it shouldn't! I checked the template file and everything is as it should be, all of the 0's and 1's and #'s and .'s are where they should be. I just checked it in game too and it is OK. I know it is one of those annoying questions, but did you try demolishing any that you might have had on the map when you loaded up the new version? Try demolishing all PR Tailors and  reload, see if that helps. Otherwise, try a new map just to see (Debug menu is your friend). Otherwise, I'm not sure what to suggest only that perhaps it for some reason didn't get included when I packaged up the most recent version. Will definitely be done for the next one!

Thanks @Necora I will download the last link I can see in this thread & downloads and compare the details, but I'm sure its the most current one.

I am on a new map, started it with CC 1.7 and they are new buildings, so I'm hoping that it's either an older package OR that it was just a whoopsie when compiling and the next release should be correct, I hate chasing down those little typos :D:D

Will update again once I've compared files.  Cheers :D

1 person likes this

8 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

One thing that might help the other three would be randomizing the placement of the branches. 

Yup, I did try that previously but it looked pants, then again I've changed them quite a bit so perhaps it will be better this time. I have a couple (literally 2) things I want to try, we'll see if they work.

5 hours ago, Feneris said:

The only problem is that the trees seem to clash rather garishly with the trees that already exist 

Hmm that is, for me at least, something I find about all trees introduced to the game, even the CC trees. I actually didn't use them at first because I didn't like how they looked different to the vanilla trees, but then realized that is because the CC trees actually look good and when you look close at the vanilla ones they are pretty blurry. The oak is pretty much the only vanilla tree I actually like. Not saying mine are better, they are certainly not, but I think it is something I am willing to put up with. These trees will only grow in forested areas where vanilla trees will not, so hopefully will not look too out of place. 

1 hour ago, QueryEverything said:

Thanks @Necora I will download the last link I can see in this thread & downloads and compare the details, but I'm sure its the most current one.

I am on a new map, started it with CC 1.7 and they are new buildings, so I'm hoping that it's either an older package OR that it was just a whoopsie when compiling and the next release should be correct, I hate chasing down those little typos :D:D

Will update again once I've compared files.  Cheers

Cool let me know.

5 hours ago, stiles said:

NECORA,asny way to get a set of your mods without google drive?? google won't work. says because i am using iE9. thanks

It doesn't? Well that sucks. Unfortunately, right now, no I don't. I've been trying to get it on the forge without a link but it always throws up an error when I upload, although I've not tried since the last update. I'll give it a go tomorrow and see. Does Dropbox work for you?