Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Necora

Maritimes Edition

303 posts in this topic

Right... I'll have a go later thanks. I was wondering if there was a point I needed to add, it seemed odd to have points for use, build, smoke etc. but not for where the food is spawned.

Discrepancy is right, needs create dummy. Put them under points just like you do with build and smoke.  Wherever you put the create_001 (etc, use as many as needed) that is where the resource will appear. 

A note on create points: A minor Banished bug. When you get them to drop created products on a road tile, that road is forever slowed to "normal" speed.

1 person likes this

Well with a tonne of help from @ShockPuppet and @Discrepancy I have finally managed to put a few things together into a mod! Anyone fancy having a look at what I have come up with so far? Would be good to have a couple of tests done on it as I have only run it in vanilla. It does seem to crash if you have multiple (5) production history windows open. Also, the smoke is not in the correct place on one of the huts in the picture. I did try to correct this, not sure if I managed it.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2nh4ixEBQ-kblFNOVJlOE41Ums

Introducing Maritimes v100 - the initial test of my moding attempts. In this pack you will find a simple dock set composed of 1x1, 1x2, and 1x3 pieces with various F-variants. There is also a basic mussel harvester, again with F-variants and a (new to vanilla) resource = mussel. Production is slow... so that will need to be adjusted. 

Screenshot1.jpg

My plans for expanding this are as follows... I will add a few more shellfish (clams, scallops, oysters, and seaweed, because why not) to this but still cannot decide if each building should produce all types at a steady pace resulting in around 800 units of mixed food a year, or if you have the ability to choose between five types so that each building produces about 800 of a single species. Any thoughts?

With resources, I want to make sure it works with CC etc. How do I go about making sure any mussels etc. I add do not make a new instance? Do I need to use the same resource files as CC, or is it simply a case of loading one above the other?

You will notice that the covered walkway has a different roof texture to the buildings. I recently found a good texture resource, and thought that this new roof was much more similar to that of the real life huts rather than the original one used. I am thinking about changing them all to the new texture (which needs to be made bigger on the coverings - still figuring out the texturing side of things in terms of scale yet efficiency).

I want to learn how to make ghost decorations. The buildings are a bit empty at the moment, but I really like decorating things so would like to leave them empty for you to place crates, barrels etc. I do want to add ghost decorations of fishing traps, nets, and general gear.

Then, I will carry on and do some larger fishing operations and move onshore to do some settlements, mainly industry at the moment.

If anyone is interested, the inspiration for these fishing huts came from Woods Island Provincial Park, Prince Edward Island, Canada and other small dock buildings dotted around the province.

Edited by Necora
3 people like this

2 hours ago, Necora said:

If anyone is interested, the inspiration for these fishing huts came from Woods Island Provincial Park, Prince Edward Island, Canada and other small dock buildings dotted around the province.

>>> makes christmas list: wants the small windmill,lighthouse in the fog as a house,the ishing boats and the covered bridge.........:D

2 people like this

@Necora Thats great! The musscles wont make a new instance, they will just conflict with each other which is PERFECT (means its working)

Hey...... why dont you upload it to the community mods forge in the downloads section ? :) 

Congratulations. I will use it when I start playing again (modding at the moment lol)

:) excellent. You've done a great job.

I look forward to playing it once I also have the time.

Necora, you might soon realize it is more addictive to mod Banished than it is to play!

@ShockPuppet Alrighty I uploaded it to the forge.

@Discrepancy You are certainly right there. It is the modeling I especially like. The fine tuning and trouble shooting is extremely tedious, especially so early on when ideas/techniques are changing rapidly and mistakes are quite common. There is quite the learning curve with figuring out how all of the .rsc files link together.

Speaking of learning curves and .rsc files, I tried to add in more resources but for some reason it still only produces mussels? Unfortunately, the only examples of buildings that produce multiple items in the mod kit are from things that either need animals (pastures), wild resources (gatherer and hunter), or are part of a production chain (toolmaker, tailor etc.) so it is hard to figure out what I am missing.

Attached are my template files...

RawMaterialMussel.rsc

RawMaterialClam.rsc

RawMaterialOyster.rsc

RawMaterialScallop.rsc

RawMaterialSeaweed.rsc

PEIShore.rsc

@Necora there's a trick to getting multiple items, it's not really something banished allows ( @Kralyerg found a work around). 

I can't look it up at the moment but I will check later to see if I can provide example if someone else doesn't beat me to it :)

If you want a regular products list, check the Tavern template. 

If you want what we call list cycle production (true multiple products), someone will have to show you the work around

7 hours ago, Discrepancy said:

you might soon realize it is more addictive to mod Banished than it is to play!

Another one lost to the dark side  :shape8:

:hand1:

4 people like this

@ShockPuppet I figured it out... or at least after a lot of trial and error I figured something out?!?

Screenshot65.jpg

Now there is a drop down menu where you can select between the five products, which is exactly what I wanted to begin with, so that each F-variant can produce a different species (or you can have a boat load of one if you like).

Screenshot64.jpg

And you can happily cycle through them and produce what you want. The only issues are a) there are only 4 lines in the production UI and b) they don't produce at a high enough rate.

I did try and change the number of lines, but couldn't get it to work.

I will change the production rates and update the Forge entry later.

...getting there...

Edited by Necora
3 people like this

New textures... what do you think? The new ones are closer to the real buildings, especially the roofs. Although I think they need to be a tad darker perhaps.

Screenshot66.jpg

I am learning a lot by trial and error. One is the Unwrapping... i really need to do all of these again because the same UV outline talks to different duplicate pieces. This is fine when they are the same size, but as soon as they are duplicated and scaled it doesn't work. For example, the faces of the top of the two level building are duplicates of the bottom part, so the texture is squished. One issue I find here is that you really don't have very much space in the UV layout.

I also tried adding a salty layer on the bottom of the faces, you can just about see it.

2 people like this

@Necora, I will send you a private message with my Stythe Tower sourcecode and the way you can have a building randomly produce a group of items, and also how the production UI history lines can be increased. For everyone else, I will one day add more tutorials over at the WOB website :)

1 person likes this

Good looking set of buildings, I'm downloading it now and will give it a test run because I'm running about 120 mods (with things such as CC, NMT, DSSmallVillage and so on).

I have only one comment to make and that's in regard to the newer textures you have shown in the post just above mine. The grey looks fine for buildings made of bare wood and left for many years in the weather but I'd personally like to see a texture that looks like new cut timber. Just my personal preference. 

Zip has finished downloading so I'm going to fire up Banished with Maritimes added and see what happens!

2 people like this

2 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I'd personally like to see a texture that looks like new cut timber.

I myself with my own jetty set would happily like to give this to players, but a picture, or even texture would be nice :) there are a lot of different colored hard woods used for jetties and docks.

If you can find me a texture I will make an F-key variant of my own docks for you. :o   (there is no time-frame of when though)

1 person likes this

12 minutes ago, Discrepancy said:

I myself with my own jetty set would happily like to give this to players, but a picture, or even texture would be nice :) there are a lot of different colored hard woods used for jetties and docks.

If you can find me a texture I will make an F-key variant of my own docks for you. :o   (there is no time-frame of when though)

Yeah good call, a picture would have made it a lot clearer! I'll have a trawl around the net and see if I can find one that matches what I was thinking.

Meanwhile in other news, I fired up my current town in Banished and checked the Maritime mod for conflicts and the only mod it has a cross over with is CC.

I have a save game running with, as mentioned above,  NMT and DSSmallVillage (ver 2 Beta) and pretty much all of Discrepancy's mods along with: -

Small Town Rowhouses,

The Tequila Mod,

Colourful Boston Houses

Forest Outpost,

Mini Buildings,

The Fountain Mod,

The Mission,

the Christmas Mod,

Slink's Snug Houses, Slink's Brewery, Slink's SJGL Small Markets, Slink's Stacked Houses,

the four flower food crop mods from Idle Work Team,

the various stand-alone releases from Tom Sawyer's The North mod,

the enhancement packs for CC (Decorative Items, Compatible Buildings, Quiet CC, CCBetaFix and so on),

Pesky Produce,

Seed Diversity,

New Flora, 

Japanese Facilities, Japanese Houses,

Jamie's Monastery,

I think most of EB's mods,

and a whole bunch of individual buildings.

There's no issue so far with any of those mods, as I said above, Maritimes mod only shows conflict with CC.

And further feedback, I've run the town for two years with two buildings from the Maritimes mod with no problem to report so far.

The covered jetty is a great touch. I can see it being used a lot in my future towns!

Here's a screenie of those first two years of operation: -

MaritimesMod-001.jpg

1 person likes this

@Discrepancy Thanks for the information. The random produce is good to know, however I kinda like having the option to specify what you produce, that way you can have a mix or just focus on something particular. The production amounts do need to be increased for this method however as they are a bit low at the moment.

@KevinTheCynic Let me know what happens! Hopefully no crashes. About the texture - I did have the initial plan to include a fresher looking texture for exactly the reasons you mentioned, however now I am not too sure because I don't want to have a load of F-variants (although I guess it doesn't really matter - even if each building was separate there would still be the same amount of models etc. in the pack). I will explore some options and see how they look, just gotta decide what wood to use.

With later building additions, there will definitely be new texture options. I was planning on a worn texture as above, a fresh texture as you mentioned, then some color options, but there will be less F-variants for these bigger buildings (perhaps 3 per building).

Also, yup it does conflict with CC because of the mussel etc. resources it adds. I ran mine with it above CC and it didn't have any issues. I see you're running it below with no issues, cracking! 

What was the most mussels you got per year?

Carrying on the development blog...

@taniu reported a crash when loading the game with no other mods. I don't know much about game dynamics so have no idea what would cause this, and cannot replicate it. I recommended re-downloading the file as I have had issues with mods before when downloading on a bad internet connection, the download isn't complete although it said it is or the file is corrupted. Hopefully this is just a one off and re-downloading will sort it out.

I changed the image editing software from Illustrator (free trial ran out) to Gimp. I prefer illustrator, and would much prefer photoshop, but can't afford it right now. For some reason, Gimp is not as good as keeping color and sharpness when you scale things as Illustrator did, which lost no quality if you made layers smaller where as in Gimp it is quite terrible (assuming I am doing nothing wrong). Although, Illustrator for some reason opened the 1024x1024 px UV.png as a 2048x2048 image (or possibly even bigger, it might have been 4096x4096). Not sure why it would do that, but perhaps that is why the textures came out much better in Illustrator rather than gimp.

I started on the next set of buildings, although to complete my production chain I need quite a few. The ones I posted a few days ago will be inshore fisheries and will need a new resource, 'Dory', to be constructed. This is a variant on the current CC hull components, but a whole little boat instead. I am currently putting together a small boat builder which will produce dory's from lumber and rope (possibly linen) and will also produce CC hull components... but this means I also need to start working on the shore based part of the mod and add a small lumber yard etc.

Clipboard01.jpg

@Necora I do like the textures you're using and as @Discrepancy mentioned I should have been clearer about what I meant and that was the colour, not the texture. You already had ideas for that so that's all good!

Final production figures could be a tad lower than actual capability because I had to adjust my production limit for food two times so there was a brief pause in food collection (I had the food limit lower than my storage capacity). However for the second year of operation, which was the first full year of operation, final figures for mussels were 540 (two storey) and 520 (single storey). Without any interruptions to increase production levels it could have been another 40-80 units possibly.

My next course of action is to place it above CC and run it for a few years.

@KevinTheCynic interesting. All of the buildings have the exact same output for each resource, however the resources differ slightly (seaweed is a tad higher, and scallops I think is a tad lower, but by 1 or 2 units per collection). over 500 for the year is actually more than I expected them to produce, so that is good. I wouldn't mind if they hit over 800 or even 1000 units/year, that way they are quite worth while for early games as that is the idea for them. Good fishing is what drew people to the shores of the maritimes and has been a staple food basically cultural identity since.

If you run it above CC, it should only change the icons of the resources.

1 person likes this

Third year of operation, final production figures for two storey, 510 units. Single storey was 580 units.

This is with Maritimes placed above CC and I also built CC's water scavenger next to the buildings for something of a comparison. I didn't have a water scavenger on the map at all so I figured it would be worth putting one where it could do the most harm... err... xD Well it didn't cause any crashes... or any other problems that I can see.

You mentioned somewhere earlier that you were going to include a drop-down menu for selection of the food type. Was that implemented or was it something you were still working on because if it is in the file you linked in this thread, I'm not getting the menu. I get mussels and nothing else.