Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Necora

Maritimes Edition

731 posts in this topic

@Necora

Fourth year production figures are two storey, 600 units of mussels and single storey 550, (the water scavenger shows 40 units but in the previous season had collected 110). Over three years were it could achieve full production the numbers are quite consistent. I don't think a figure of 550-600 is a bad number but as you say, for use in early game at a time when food production is critical, it might be considered a little low.

I've only just realized because I was looking at the buildings from one angle for most of the time, I didn't notice the smoke problem you talked about. For the two storey hut, the smoke originates from the same point as the shorter chimney on the one storey hut and not from the top of its taller chimney.

Overall, I'm liking this set a lot, the buildings are unique and the mod appears to be trouble free. If this is your first foray into Banished modding, you've done a damned fine job!

Fourth year screenshot

MaritimesMod-002.jpg

2 people like this

@KevinTheCynic Thank you very much. I appreciate the feed back too. With the drop down menu, I guess I didn't update that file in the forge yet. My internet at home is incredibly slow so it is impossible to deal with anything over a couple of kb. 

I have tried to arrange the smoke, but it just wont go. I need to ask a question in the question section...

1 person likes this

@Necora Happy to help, especially when I get to play with a brand new mod! :D 

I'm a bit of a night owl and I had no plans to go to sleep early tonight so it's been very convenient for providing feedback very early on in the mod testing and to get a response from you.

@KevinTheCynic The last few days have been a bust for me, work wise. We've been hit by snow storm after snow storm, so I just kicked back in front of the fire and tried my hand at making models. Thankfully the power hasn't gone out, but we have another big one coming this eve so we'll see. 

I just changed the file in the download section to make sure it is the new version. I downloaded it and tried it out and I am getting the correct one with drop down and all. Not sure if it is save game compatible, I've not tried and don't know what makes things compatible or not.

1 person likes this

21 minutes ago, Necora said:

@KevinTheCynic The last few days have been a bust for me, work wise. We've been hit by snow storm after snow storm, so I just kicked back in front of the fire and tried my hand at making models. Thankfully the power hasn't gone out, but we have another big one coming this eve so we'll see. 

I just changed the file in the download section to make sure it is the new version. I downloaded it and tried it out and I am getting the correct one with drop down and all. Not sure if it is save game compatible, I've not tried and don't know what makes things compatible or not.

Ouch! No chance of snow in the parts of Australia I've lived so being snowed in is not something I've experienced. I have had power outages though, got a generator in the shed for that if it happens again... but back to the mods! I'll download the new file and see if it works with a brute force change (as in, I'll paste the new file into the WinData folder to overwrite the old version) to see if that upsets anything. One question though, I can download the updated version from the same location as before?

In an interesting side development, the dredger who was working at the water scavenger decided to gather food for most of the year and then change jobs. The replacement worker has decided not to work at all because his happiness level is too low (half a star whereas the town overall has 4.5 happiness)

EDIT: And being a little slow tonight, I completely missed your reference to the downloads section :o

Edited by KevinTheCynic
updating

@KevinTheCynic how about this... 10 F-variants, 5 of each texture. I still think they are a little light, so I might ramp up the contrast and decrease the brightness a bit on both of them.

Screenshot68.jpgScreenshot69.jpg

Funny you should mention happiness, these buildings will provide a small happiness effect, so when you build them in a brand new town they are the only building that does give a happiness effect, and so your bannies flock to them as if they just can't wait to get hold of some scallops.

Did you get the drop down menu?

3 people like this

@Necora Well... interesting developments and not interesting in a good way but nothing about the mod. My internet connection seems to dislike downloading at the moment and after several tries I cannot get the updates version of Maritimes. It's only 10 after midnight so I will try and download it again... and again...

Stupid thing is, I got the earlier file from your link in this thread without any problem what-so-ever. Now when I try the download section, it just cuts out anywhere between 37 and 47 Meg. And I tell ya' when I see it stop at 47Mb I want to scream "JUST 10 MORE MEG DAMN YOU!" >:(

Gotta laugh at it all... or sob quietly in the corner...

Anyway... about the colours, is it worth trying a darker colour for the roof to provide more contrast? The contrast between the doors and the walls looks quite good to me so I'm wondering if the same would happen between the roof and the walls?

EDIT: I kid you not, I tried nine or ten times to download the new file from the Downloads page and it would die before reaching 48Mb. So I finally realize that there is an alternate link. So I try the Google Drive link - worked first time. Obviously the internet hates me and has decided I spent too much time on the Black Liquid site :o

Edited by KevinTheCynic
adding info
1 person likes this

Okay, I am up and running with the newest version. I have the drop-down menus and can select between the five food types. Google Drive is my friend...

One result of the testing, an important note although it's a fairly common one when updating some mods - it is necessary to completely remove all structures built with the earlier version before updating to the newer version. I got my first Fatal Access Violation in years! So yeah, it is recommended to delete all buildings before updating a saved game.

I've hit the limit on my storage capacity so I'm going to call it a night (it's 01:24 at the moment so yeah, perhaps time for sleep!) The mod is working without any problems other than the smoke coming from the wrong position on the smallest hut and the two storey hut. I need to do a big expansion of my town to increase housing and food storage so I'll do that and play around with some of the other structures in the mod.

1 person likes this

:Di have a suggestion that might not work i guess.NECORA,i do realize you are a new modder,but hopefully someone else with greater experience might read this. can the "f" variant be selcected before the building style in the toolbar?? so that say you select a color then it pulls up the buildings and you choose which 1?? it might make it less confusing when placing. now when you place flowers or even the row houses, you have to be careful which "f" variant you have picked. if you choose the "f" 1st then all the buildings you place would have be the same. just a thought</P><P> as to the production yields, i usually figure a 500 average on food per worker. isnt 100% but makes for easy math when playing. if the 2 story has 2 workers then closer to 1000 yield works. of course on mini-mods the yield is usually set lower than the 500. then again those yields may also depend on the starting climate setting.</P><P> as to conflicts with CC,it might be useful to post on the mod download page if the mod has to be placed above or below CC. if it works either way then what changes might occur if it is above or below should be listed. say below CC changes the yields,then on the mod page add a line or 2. that way other players who just pull up the mod page can be informed. as well as its all on 1 page in case someone finds this mod months or years from now.</P>

1 person likes this

Gratuitous Image Time!

I love the covered walkways and plan on using them anywhere where it will look good.

For example, one family decided to make their own footbridge across the creek. They didn't want to get wet by wading through the stream and they decided they didn't want to get wet if it rained. xD

The bridge is made from two of the 1x3 sections of the jetty.

MaritimesMod-003.jpg

2 people like this

Another image! But this time with a purpose other than entertainment xD

Production rates can go higher than the 500-600 I had seen earlier. I don't know what the final rate for a really good year would be but in the following image, the hut dedicated to seaweed collection hauled in 901 units for year 60 (and I've been running the Maritime mod without any trouble for about 20 game years).

MaritimesMod-004.jpg

2 people like this

@KevinTheCynic great pics, glad to see you are enjoying it! Another snow day here (-29 degrees Celsius wind) so I am not going more than 2 meters away from the wood stove. Plenty of time to try to finish the next batch of buildings. These are going to be shore based, as I need to start to set up a production chain for the next set of fishery buildings.

With the production rates, these pics are very useful to me. I'm taking a note of how much they produce because I have not figured out yet what the values in the coding really translate to in terms of exact production in game. I guess your seaweed harvester was living right next to the hut and didn't have to go far for anything! Or they really like seaweed. At the moment, the values for each product are a little different (like +/- 1 unit per collection event I think) which means over a year there will be a difference between oysters and seaweed for example (I think they are the highest and lowest). The reason I did this was so a) I can see how they translate in game and b) I was trying to get the multiple options to work and thought that this might make a difference (it didn't).

1 person likes this

@Necora I set all five buildings up for the different foods and did notice they had different production amounts for the same time period however there were issues here and there with such things as no space in nearby storage, distance to the workers homes and also the cemeteries which some of them chose to idle around for example. Part of the reason I leave the town info box in the image is so people can see the current season so for the image above (seaweed & oyster huts) the year was only about halfway through implying that seaweed production for year 61 could potentially reach the 900 units produced in year 60.

What I should try is building a set of them with homes very close by to reduce travel, nearby storage etc. etc. and see the production rates. Those two huts were on the river side of a stretch of land that also had a lake on the other side and that's where the other huts were. Now I suspect that that should not make a difference and the real factor is worker travel times, education & happiness levels and so on but I don't know the mechanics of the game in regard to gatherer locations so I thought it might be worth noting.

I'll mention again that I have had no problems running this mod and I've run the town for about 40 20 - (need to learn to count) - game years with two huts in the beginning and all five about ten years after building the first two. While I was first running it I was regularly using Alt-Tab to bring up other windows (I play the game in fullscreen mode) to add comments or screenshots here and so on plus I had a music player running on the computer at the same time (I found the Banished music got repetitive after playing a few hundred hours!) Nothing really major in all that but if the mod was going to get temperamental then I would expect that would be the time :D

This set is really good, any additions will only make it more enjoyable so I very much look forward the other fishing buildings (I'm assuming you're working with your earlier idea of shore and offshore fishers etc. etc. that you mentioned in @cainacol12's suggestion thread about fishing?)

And on another note, the coldest weather I have ever experienced was about  -5 degrees Celsius, I can't even imagine -29. But on the flip side, the same desert region where I experienced the -5 also gave me a wonderful <heavy sarcasm> 52 degrees C day one time (approximately 126 degrees Fahrenheit - it sounds much more terrible in Fahrenheit haha) :(

Edited by KevinTheCynic
correcting length of time error
1 person likes this

@Necora And something that I completely forgot about although it's probably quite important... o.O

The production rates shown when I first started using the mod (town of Ciboli) should all be with educated workers but I cannot be certain of that. I've started a new map with a map seed I wanted to try out and I've got all five of the Maritimes huts in place and operating and the worker's homes are just a step or two away. Other factors will obviously still be an influence. 

The production figures for this new town (Alizee) will definitely be with uneducated workers for the first few years. I will note when the Maritimes workers (all of them) are replaced with educated workers so that I can do a comparison check (although again, other factors can influence those numbers).

So here is the latest test: - fourth year of the colony's existence but the third year of operation for the Maritimes fishers. The "previous season" production figures (i.e. the second year of operation) are the first full year of operation for the Maritimes. Unfortunately I have so few colonists at the moment that there are no labourers to pick up goods etc and if I have a few deaths that could really throw a spanner in the works!

Details of image: PEIShore menus - top to bottom equals buildings as seen from left to right. Huts in the near distance are the homes of the Maritime fishers. No market in place yet so they have to walk to the Viking Storage Vault behind the tents for food & supplies. Everybody else has to live in the tents!

Maritimes-2ndTest-001.jpg

@Necora and any others who are interested :)

Some details that might be of interest for my second test town with Maritimes mod: -

New build town with the Maritimes forming a significant part of the food supply. Other food providers: 1 x mini-hunter, 1 x mini-gatherer (Mini Buildings mod), 1 x Fisherman (Small Town Rowhouses mod), 1 x dense orchard - apples (dense orchard is from CC I believe), 1 x crop field - vegetables (Vegetable Garden Start mod for vanilla Medium start conditions).

Town was optimized somewhat for the Maritimes fishers starting in late Year 3 e.g. dirt roads replaced with stone, small church (water shrine from CC) built nearby, small market (tiny market from Kid's Tiny compilation mod) built nearby, small hospital (Mini Buildings mod) built nearby. A few years later more storage was built but there were lots more labourers available at that time to move goods & food.

I've run the town now for nine years with the Maritimes fishers being in operation for seven years. The first year was only a half year however and the second year although it was the first full year of operation, was still a slow year. Production seemed to settle into its rhythm from the third year on. While the yearly production rates show notable variation year to year I believe that I'm getting a "general" maximum rate now, based on uneducated workers. I have roughly averaged the max yearly rates as: -

Seaweed - 700 units

Oyster - 370 units

Scallop - 580 units

Clam - 510 units

Mussel - 500 units.

I'll say it again for clarity, these are roughly averaged* approximates taken over a period of only five game years. * I didn't work it out properly, I did some very rough maths in my head.

I have screen shots of the PEIShore menus for each year if anyone wants to see the figures - with gratuitous zoom to include the village for those that might want to see its growth! :D

Next phase is to integrate educated workers and gather production rates for another five or so years under the new conditions.

1 person likes this

Question, are there plans to expand this mod to include deep water resources as well? Things like crabs, lobsters, prawns, and of course cod/fish?

1 person likes this

@Feneris yes indeed there are. I am working on them at the moment, however my plans were somewhat ambitious and I need to put together a production chain for them. I plan to have a set of inshore fishers for lobster and herring and others, then an off shore fisher for whale, seal, snow crab etc. I've yet to make my mind up on what species will be caught in what fishery. To do this, I was planning a production chain around rope, lumber, dory (small fisher boats), spars and rigging.... didn't quite realize how many buildings but also raw materials would need to be made for it! 

In this pic there is a Dory Builder in the middle of the small fishers, and a new lumber cutter behind it. I was experimenting with a red texture for the lumber cutter, some of the onshore and more advanced buildings in the set will have more color to them as F-variants.

Screenshot70.jpg

You might also notice that the dock planks in the Dory Builder are smaller than the fishers, I am also thinking about scaling them down a bit as they are quite chunky at the moment.

The Dory Builder uses lumber, hence the lumber yard, and also another ingredient that I have yet to decide on. I am putting together a roper to fit into the set, so perhaps lumber and rope to build a dory. This has meant spending a lot of time trawling through the resource files to figure out how to make the material flag, which I just managed to accomplish. I had to introduce lumber and dory to the game as materials, and have to decide what ingredients to use for rope, which means adding reeds or flax or something of the sort. While this is aimed to be a companion to CC, I also want it to function as a stand alone which means adding these chains right down to the raw materials, something I didn't really think about when I started!

1 hour ago, Necora said:

@Feneris yes indeed there are. I am working on them at the moment, however my plans were somewhat ambitious and I need to put together a production chain for them. I plan to have a set of inshore fishers for lobster and herring and others, then an off shore fisher for whale, seal, snow crab etc. I've yet to make my mind up on what species will be caught in what fishery. To do this, I was planning a production chain around rope, lumber, dory (small fisher boats), spars and rigging.... didn't quite realize how many buildings but also raw materials would need to be made for it! 

In this pic there is a Dory Builder in the middle of the small fishers, and a new lumber cutter behind it. I was experimenting with a red texture for the lumber cutter, some of the onshore and more advanced buildings in the set will have more color to them as F-variants.

The Dory Builder uses lumber, hence the lumber yard, and also another ingredient that I have yet to decide on. I am putting together a roper to fit into the set, so perhaps lumber and rope to build a dory. This has meant spending a lot of time trawling through the resource files to figure out how to make the material flag, which I just managed to accomplish. I had to introduce lumber and dory to the game as materials, and have to decide what ingredients to use for rope, which means adding reeds or flax or something of the sort. While this is aimed to be a companion to CC, I also want it to function as a stand alone which means adding these chains right down to the raw materials, something I didn't really think about when I started!

I see your problem here. Probably what's best to do, is just to piggyback what's already in CC while you work on the new stuff for your mod. Instead of making the entire production chain for the dory maker, just have it use the hull components that are already in CC. Then, once you've got the all the new stuff made, then you can work on making the mod stand alone without CC to prop it up.

Talk to Blackliquid too. They are usually pretty cool with letting people take a look at their coding and assets in order to allow people to make modes that are seamlessly compatible with CC. But my advice is, don't reinvent the wheel when you don't have to.

1 person likes this

when you say you are adding "limber", i do hope you add "red lumber" if that is the color you are making it. as there is lumber in CC,it needs to be named different so it doesn't override the lumber already in CC. thank you

1 person likes this

7 hours ago, stiles said:

when you say you are adding "limber", i do hope you add "red lumber" if that is the color you are making it. as there is lumber in CC,it needs to be named different so it doesn't override the lumber already in CC. thank you

Using the same name allows modders to use existing modded items. It shows as red in the mod menu but doesn't conflict. RedKetchup has done that extensively.

1 person likes this