Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Necora

Maritimes Edition

303 posts in this topic

yes but he said his lumber would be the color red,not that his mod would conflict and be red. at the least it will change all the lumber in game to his red color,but it might cause other glitches in game as well.

sounds good necora.i think that will work for the "f" variants. docks or row buildings are always a pain to set when u have to click thru the "f"s especially in winter.

1 person likes this

Development log....

I have spent most of my modding time lately messing around with docks to try to get the right combination of textures and shapes to produce something that not only looks good but can also be easily replicated across the set and keeps the numbers of faces etc. down. I've learnt a lot about texturing and things over the last week or so, a lot to do with my own work flow, although I by no means know what I am doing! I have settled on the following texture and shape for the dock pieces, making them much smaller and more visually appealing, in my opinion at least, but also much simpler to make...

Screenshot74.jpg

I have also made some tweaks to the shore fishers set, cleaning up the models and improving the textures. I increased the contrast and reduced the brightness of the grey wood siding, while trying to make the 'fresh' version seem less orange. I'm still not completely set on that orange texture, it seems a bit too bold to me, but the previous version (see earlier posts) was too pale. Anyway here is the complete set. The grey and orange versions have been split up on the toolbar to avoid too many F-variants, but all buildings have the exact same output etc...

Screenshot75.jpg

Screenshot76.jpg

I will put them together and update the forge version tomorrow, no way my internet can handle it this eve!

In the mean time, I have also been starting to develop the next level of fisheries, but first have to make some production buildings. Continuing with the dock theme of the set so far, I present to you a rope maker and a dory builder. Rope maker produces rope from reeds and flax, while dory builder produces dorys from rope and lumber. These will be needed to construct further fisheries buildings which are in the works. These buildings will not be released just yet because I need to figure out the correct production values for rope and dory etc. so that they are in line with CC and the balance is correct.

Screenshot77.jpg

It is starting to make a neat little set though!

Screenshot81.jpg

4 people like this

1 minute ago, Discrepancy said:

:hand1:  excellent. You have done a remarkable job.

Indeed he has

Well done necora :)

1 person likes this

Looking at it now I think I will get rid of the entrance way, looks too 'house' like the way it sticks out like that. I needs a small door in its place.

Alright, so I took away that porch, replaced it with some roped dock. I also added some metal supports to the base of the upper level, and improved some texturing. I have plenty of space in the UV this time so will add some more decals to it at some point, but was too excited to see what it looks like in game...

Screenshot89.jpg

Screenshot90.jpg

Screenshot91.jpg

Gotta sort out the production chain for sails but looks good so far. I figure this building will make sails from rope and linen, which will be used to make a stuff for the largest fishing docks (which are well down the line atm).

Here is the sail loft and dory builder side by side to see how it works (for those unfamiliar with RedKetchups houses)...

Sail Loft 04.jpg

It will also sit above the rope maker, and probably many other buildings to come so it will offer a fair bit of diversity!

Edited by Necora
spelling
3 people like this

Question, is the boat in that building supposed to be that bright yellow, or have you just not go around to texturing it? Because that seems really jarring to me.

@Feneris yeah, I know what you mean. I am not set on any textures yet. The ones being produced around here now are yellow, but colour is probably a recent addition. I do want to keep some colour though, so will experiment with a less blinding yellow when I finalize the building.

It's shaping up to be a very interesting mod @Necora From the images you've got of the F variants, I think the "fresh wood" finish looks quite good.

I can imagine using that sail loft as an elevated house on a waterside mountain edge as well as above the dory builder

Great attention to detail. Interesting shapes and features :hand1:

1 person likes this

@ShockPuppet and @KevinTheCynic thanks! I am slowly learning what can and cannot be done, and what looks good and doesn't look good in game. Gotta figure out using transparent textures now.

So I managed to have a play with the sail loft again, added a bit of decor to it...

Screenshot97.jpgScreenshot98.jpg

Also added a new texture to the rope maker and dory builder. I figured they are more advanced than the shore fishers (i.e. they need lumber to be build) and so deserve a splash of paint. I went with a blue for the dory builder...

Screenshot95.jpgScreenshot96.jpg

and a black for the rope maker..

Screenshot99.jpgScreenshot100.jpgScreenshot101.jpg

as a third F-variant for each. I won't be doing F-variants for the sail loft for now, I want to concentrate on getting more buildings together for the next release. Talking about a release, @estherhb kindly let me know some CC values for various production items, so I have coded the newest buildings up to reflect this. I will release them for testing in this thread as soon as I get some more fisheries buildings done (lobster!) as I would like people to run them for a year or so to see how much they produce. Production values should be relatively low, I'm hoping it will take some time to build this set in game.

Screenshot102.jpgScreenshot103.jpgScreenshot104.jpg

4 people like this

I revisited the inshore fishers I made a while back and spruced them up a bit. Imported a couple of other buildings into this scene to make sure the scale is good (it wasn't!) and made some adjustments. This is one of the F-variants for the next fisher buildings, complete with lobster traps! (kinda proud about those traps...). The buildings will be based on those in Peggy's Cove, Nova Scotia and perhaps a few others around, but I took some "artistic licence" with this particular model and added the tower!

L2Fisher01.jpg

Hopefully I will have some time tomorrow and will be able to package them up into a Christmas treat for anyone who wants to test them (don't hold me to that though, got a lot of food to cook...)

1 person likes this

Oh wow, I am loving your updates!!!!!  Fabulous!!!
And I agree with @KevinTheCynic this would look great as a lake, seaside, house.  Perhaps also instead of the boat (or as well as), have a surfboard or kyak for a house version?

13 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

It's shaping up to be a very interesting mod @Necora From the images you've got of the F variants, I think the "fresh wood" finish looks quite good.

I can imagine using that sail loft as an elevated house on a waterside mountain edge as well as above the dory builder

Am so thrilled, can't wait to download the update! 

Merry Christmas :)

can you set these anywheres even on dry ground like the dock pieces now?? so say someone wanted they could place the houses inland?? might be handy on a mountain map.

@KevinTheCynic, @stiles, @QueryEverything, I did toy with the idea of adding houses to this set. I want to focus on the industry first, especially as @The Pilgrim has some colonial houses coming out that look pretty cool. If I do, they will probably be shore based, there are not many over water houses here, too cold! That being said, I agree some of the buildings will make a neat house. If I get some time later on I will, upon request, code a few of them up as houses.

Yes these can be placed on land. However, as they are coded to be placed on water, they will not flatten the ground. That is great if you want to place them against a hill, but if you want to put them on flat land you might need to use the flatten terrain tool first just to make sure it is flat. If it is slightly raised, the nasty base texture will show through. If it is flat, the dock texture should show through.

As a Christmas present to all who have helped out and given feedback and discussion to this mod, I have put together a few of the next set of buildings for you to test. They are not ready for an actual release, because the resource production/consumption needs to be tested to make sure it is well balanced, so give it a go and let me know how they do! One thing to note, I have coded in the necessary resources, but no way of generating them, mainly flax. For example, you need flax to make rope. If you use this mod alone, then you will have to trade for flax as there is no way to produce it. Rope, lumber, dory and all foods are all OK, it is just Flax at the moment. If you use CC, it should work fine (despite a red warning in the mod list). I have been playing with it listed above CC in the mod list, with no issues. CC flax from either trade or plantations works just fine in the buildings, however my flax model sucks so that needs to be improved. It does not, however, work with the wild flax mod from WOB. I'm not sure if perhaps that mod calls flax something else behind the scenes, but you get two instances of it, and the wild flax doesn't seem to be used in the rope maker.

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2nh4ixEBQ-kNGI1enF4LV91RVk

Screenshot94.jpg

2 people like this

Oh and I should say, lumber is the same as CC, although if someone wants to test the lumber cutter against the CC saw pit that would be great because I want them to be the same.

Dory builder uses rope and lumber to make dory, hopefully at a slow rate.

Rope maker uses flax to make rope, the same as CC (125 flax per rope), hopefully at a slow rate.

Lumber cutter uses wood to make lumber.

Sail loft, at the moment, just makes rope as I have not got round to adding sails, they are for the next level.

1 person likes this

Love the colors!  I've actually been to Peggy's Cove :)

1 person likes this