Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Necora

Points in F-Variants

I seem to be spamming up this question thread! Hopefully I'm putting together a good resource for anyone else who wants to try making a mod.

Points in F-variants = So I have 5 F-variants and in two of them the chimneys are in different places, but the smoke (and use location) only comes out in the same place on all variants. I do have a points.rsc and for each F-variant, but don't know where to code for it to be read. I have a seperate points.fbx for each variant too, loaded up and named "mesh5points" and "mesh5build_001" etc. in the main exported .fbx.

The issue, I think, is that the code in the template calls for points.rsc, which directs it to "points" in the model file thus only reading the points for mesh1. How do I get it to find all of the other points? I tried to move them into the same "points" family in Blender, but that didn't do anything.

Unfortunately the templates in the mod kit do not help. The stone houses do have chimneys in different places, but the template.rsc just calls for "points".

2 answers to this question

The vanilla houses have their smoke points attached to their respective models, that is how they can have different location smoke points.

How it is done, is by not calling up the point list in the particlesystem entry in the buildings template. leave that part out. attach the smoke points directly to the models and they will work as f-key variants.

The "points" would be the build and use points. I'm not sure if you can individually set those though for f-key.

the game engine only understands:

build_001, build_002, build_003, etc

create_001, create_002, etc

use_001, use_002...

smoke/particle systems seem different. you can set any text and call it up in template.rsc

So, easiest to keep the create, use and build points in same place for F-key variants.

The smoke points, you can name: smoke1, smoke2 - have as many as you'd like on a building, they can be different for each variant if you attach directly to the model, instead of to the 'points' holder.

:)  you have done great work. And it is good to get asked direct questions, makes it easier to get modding information out.