Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
stiles

PLAYING CC with THE NORTH

THIS IS cc 1.61 THE FORGE AWAKENS WITH THE NORTH plus several other mods.
After several mod re-downloads and shuffling my mod order multiple times,and a war with a dictator<jk/lol>, i did get the 2 mods to work together.i downloaded the newest version i found. then reloaded to the newest beta version. i also added the russian house,as it was newer than the NORTH version. i like having the debug active,not to cheat but its handy to check new mods out with.place CC above The North and turn off all other nordic mods(or you get small funny toolbar icons).with the NORTH above,the game errored and kicked me out.
there are sveral differences. subtle changes to some map window terrain,some of the bushes look different,way the snow looks on fields and roads,deer look like reindeer but do not give fur only leather. the stat box has several changes: the calendar now reads by month not seasons and all the icons are shuffled around- food is where the firewood was,logs is where food was,etc. the profession's box has several additions to it, enough that the box is much larger. this covers where i usually have the stat window. opening a few buildings,i noticed the iron icon on the build menus has changed. we also now have a few extra icons under the remove toolbar- quick placeale hunter and crayfish catcher,as well as a firewood gatherer.
Please note this is based on the 1st game with both mods active.you would think the game would load the game play of CC and just add on buildings fromTHE NORTH that weren't included. This is not totally the case. As i said the deer are changed. thou i have only checked the mini fisherman,fish are now salmon plus a flyfisherman that catches trout. The hunters all seem to have increased productions. Even the small circle placeable hunter is very productive for such a small area. I assume that it's understood he works a larger area than the placed circle. I did place it near 5 or 6 deer,but even after those were gone the production did not drop off. Even the mini fisherman had a production boost,thou not as dramatic. thou i could have affected it by my game play, the builders seem slower but laborers seem faster. so the game plays faster and slower at the same time. hope that makes sence. traders seem to come less often than just CC.
climate and field differences: I chose mild climate as that seemed to fit where i live. I did not realize the changes that the NORTH would affect until i started playing. Playing the NORTH before i noticed i had to adjust the climate up a level to be accurate to my local. I may decide to do that in future games. the temp thru the winter is close to here. However,the summer seems about 10 degrees f and august seems to start fall. temps in august here is 80-90,more like mid summer yet. in game august was 55-65 degrees. fields harvested closer to the begnning of september.overall yields per field is a bout 50% compared to playing with just CC. where i used to figure 1 farmer per 5 ppl, i'd be figuring double that at least.
JUST figured i'd log this in case others want to try the 2 mods together. and to give new players a heads up on some of the differences. It's not to say the changes are good or bad. I was surprised how much THE NORTH did override the CC. That was not expected. I haven't played this way long enough to say it is harder or easier than before overall. It's just different and with anything it takes time to adjust ones style of gameplay to that. I do hope as TOM updates and adds to this mod that he also updates the beta versions as well.

1 person likes this

I had wanted to use the two together at one stage but when I found they conflicted, it seemed like too much work for somebody like me (who has no patience or skill for modding) to make them play nice with each other. So yes, it's much appreciated that you posted your experiences with the two mods, thanks :hand1: :) 

I may try it again some time in the future because there are models in The North that I would really like to use.

many of the nordic buildings are in separate mods. i have 3 or so,the wooden houses,the original houses with the smaller red school.the wharehouse is separate and the new russian houses are also. you have to go thru the post at WOb,wher tom and nilla discuss the development and changes that were made. the new crayfish inn is not in a separate mod. u do need RED;s NMT mod to make the roof tiles too.

i do recommend finding a beta version. i downloaded the newest version and had to work backwards since i do use my debug mod. ohh and again turn off any nordic mod you may already have as well.

1 person likes this

@stiles I think I have most of the ones that Tom Sawyer released as separate mods but the ones I really want are not available separately yet (if ever), like the brickyard, claypits and the inn. :(

i did find 1 thing yesterday. the NORTH bloomery,that processes iron ore to iron by using charcoal does not work.not much of a big deal since CC has a small smelter,but that does use firewood. the small fuel refinery did take the north charcoal and process it to fuel. thou  i will admit i did not keep track of the firewood, the north charcoal pile did produce a huge amount of charcoal. i believe the north's "iron ore" is different than CC's. i think the norths "ion ore" is actually processed iron for CC. doesnt have much affect on the game otherwise.

ERROR AND KICK OUT: you can place the north's brickyard but clicking on it causes error. you will need NMT mod for roof tiles for the nordic houses.

ShockPuppet  some of the mods are built individually. i did get the 2 to work together,mostly.

1 person likes this

3 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

@KevinTheCynic why don't you ask for those buildings as their own mod

People have asked (over at WoB) but he doesn't seem too keen on the idea. I think he wants to keep them integral to The North (and really, that's his choice, it is his mod after all) or maybe it's too much messing about to create them all as separate files when he's busy with expanding the main mod.

9 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

I think he wants to keep them integral to The North

Yeah, since the North has a very specific climate and architecture, and its own start conditions... there is less emphasis on agriculture, trade can be done with coins (though not exclusive), and all around a very different balancing... it does play along nicely (and mixes well for variety) with other mods like NMT, Kid's and DS stuff or CC companion mods (e.g. from KKKK), where the chains are not as involved and far-reaching as they are in CC - but his recommendation is clearly to always keep The North on top to take full advantage of all its different features... :)

@Paeng Thanks for the extra info, I recall reading somewhere on WoB that he had a very specific concept that he wanted to keep so that the feel of the northern environment was not lost. It's just a shame he didn't make some of the buildings as a separate part of the overall mod so that greedy folk like me could use them with all the other mods!

KEVIN,the only 2 buildings that weren't made separate are the brickyard and the crayfish inn. am i forgetting some?  even with the 2 mods together we don't have the reindeer furs,thou the deer look like reindeer. overall TOM designed the north to be harder than CC or the vanilla game.and much of the coding is different.to make the 2 mods completely compatable would take a lot of re writing codes. as i found already iron ore in 1 is procesed iron in the other. i am sure there is more items and tags that are different.

so far only 1 building gives an error and boots you out of the game. and even then if you don't click directly on the brickmaker,it can be built and make bricks just not tiles. the bloomery doesnt proces iron ore.thou my toolbar has like 4 brewery icons, only 1 is set to make schnaps. the inn also uses crayfish<another item different from CC>.

there is now firewood scattered on the map that can be picked up. this was a concept of the north,to micro manage workers through the changing sesons.if i didn't mention it before,iron ore has changed from the black rocks to  reddish piles. is harder to locate on the map.i did notice many prices for the trader have changed. not going to list them all. some food will pay more than 1 and hidecoats now pay at 20.

@stiles The claypit for the brickyard. However with what you've just said, it's not as bad as I thought, I thought it was a lot more than just the two buildings and the claypit.

I can live without them but I'd still really love to have the crayfish inn! :D

12 minutes ago, stiles said:

many prices for the trader have changed

Indeed... I swallowed pretty hard when I saw the prices for the first time - specially veggies and fruit, which are considered a prime commodity in the North (with farming being very difficult)... No more casually buying a boatload of beans and pears, at 6 to 8 bucks per shot you think twice how much you need / can afford... xD

1 person likes this

those claypits are just holes in the ground that you can place anywhere. isn't much to look at. NMT has a claypit that works the same way. i usually place them near a small stream or the river.but no i never found alink to the inn by itself. i think due to you then needeing other parts. the crayfish and the brewery changes as well. i haven't built it yet to see how good it functions. i did run a debug test after the crash with the brickyard to see what else would crash me. the inn wAS buildable and didn't crash and i do have the crayfish placer.

1 person likes this

I'm just being greedy, I probably have every major mod for Banished and most of them are active in every game I play but I like to have some variety. So while I do like and make use of the claypits from NMT, I liked the look of the pits from The North and wanted to have both! :D

you can just put the north below all the others and remember to not click on the brick maker building. it does work. it's different but does play. so far by the way i have no "fish". salmon and trout but no "fish". so i wouldn't be able to process them.

jut a quick note. theris a problem with the crayfish. the fisherman will work a creak spot for about 10 crayfish each then stop.it did error out only once. not sure why as i was not able to force it to error out again. it's not a big deal since in CC crayfish is harvested by the sea food place. the banis were eating them fast enuough, so i am not sure they will stock the inn.

be advised i played this way for 35+ yrs. the last yr has been full of fatal errors . with constantly saving ,i could get the game to play forward and was not able to force the error so to diagbose why or what was causing them. in the end i bought bloom which is iron ore in the north mod.when the bloom is delivered to a storage pile then it fatal erros. do not buy bloom. however,that does not explain the errors throughout the last yr. i may try to go back 1 more  save point n continue this game.