Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ShockPuppet

Ostriv - A Town Building Game

I think I saw this on another Banished website and I thought "Wow, I'd love to have those models in Banished."  :D

Being in Australia with mostly British inspired architecture, the Eastern European architecture is somewhat exotic to me, familiar but stylistically different, so much so that I'm pretty certain that I'm going to buy this game when/if it becomes available.

2 people like this

From my discussion with the developer:

I have a dedicated model editor. It will have all the tools to create a custom building: navigation, special AI nodes, doors, animating parts, floor collision, procedural fences, construction animation and more.

Also I'm planning on adding a landscape editor, because now I'm just using a bunch of .png images for elevation, forests, plants.

Great. What about people wanting to mod beyond the existing functions in the game, for example adding new logic or expanding existing.

Will there be terrain generation in game, such as using noise (frequency, amplification) or is there a different system? (you mentioned png)

After being on the banished mod scene for years I can tell you the absolute most requested thing has been allowing modders to make their own class of products / resources in game. Even just having a few dummy / null / not used resource types for the modding community to decide implementation would have been like a miracle...

1. Hard to say right now. The number of existing logics is fair high. There's a lot of things actually being made by citizens, like turning a windmill to the wind direction, riding horses, plowing fields, using wheelbarrows, wagons, boats.. just chilling on a bench or whatever. So I think there's a lot to construct from, and I'm not sure which kind of other actions modders might want to implement. I'll probably watch for the feedback to see what kind of scripting should be added.

2. I don't really like the look of randomly generated maps. It's really hard to create a realistic landscape based on noise. I'm more inclined to use satellite imagery for elevation with some extra handwork applied. Maybe some day I'll figure some way to randomize it for better replayability. But for now I'll stick to prebuilt maps.

3. I think in Banished resource classes were just a result of UI decisions. There's currently no such thing as resource class in Ostriv. It's more like an unlimited list of resources with various properties.

3 people like this

I am very excited for this game!

I talked with the DEV privately and I am very optimistic. He seems to have the right approach and some interesting ideas how things should work. Can't wait to test the game during the alpha/beta test!

The setting (eastern europe) is refreshing and I'm sure every history buff will agree with me when I say how underrepresented these countries are in this genre.

The only thing that concerns me right now is the lack of randomized maps. But maybe they'll get added until release.

1 person likes this

With the Dev's approach to map making, there may be the potential for users to make their own maps perhaps?

1 person likes this

This looks pretty exciting!  Even without random map generation, if one can use satellite imagery to create new maps, that's still a whole lot of potential variety.

2 people like this

54 minutes ago, KevinTheCynic said:

With the Dev's approach to map making, there may be the potential for users to make their own maps perhaps?

Maybe. Yeah sure, people will do it. Its not the same as a random map generator though. Even if theyre not as pretty.

I coded a random map generator in unity last year and it gives some great results. As does banished, and other city builders. It seems a design choice of the developer that he wants and it his game so thats what players will get.

2 people like this