Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Autom

Ambient sounds

39 posts in this topic

Hey everyone ! :)

I just registered, sorry if my message is awkward in any way.

I read that what you have in mind for the next Colonial Charter version is to improve the atmostphere of the game, to bring some life.

I don't know why but the original ambient sounds are barely bearable to me, it's very repetitive, very heavy, sometimes noisy... I'd like more shades and diversity, to feel I'm really in the forests, the mountains, next to water, etc. Am I the only one to have this opinion ?

It would be great to improve that part of the game... Btw thanks again (a lot), your mods are amazing ! ;)

Edited by Autom
1 person likes this

@ShockPuppet. Is this something that's moddable?  If so I can look into it. The one thing I do know is audio. 

1 person likes this

Yes it should be. The audio .rsc files are included in the resource of the mod kit, so I assume it would be a case of putting together a .wav file (that is what the vanilla ones refer to), giving it a .rsc, then finding something to trigger it, a building or event.]

The only thing I don't know how to do is find a place to trigger the sound. Not sure where that is coded in.

Attached is the blacksmith audio rsc.

Blacksmith.rsc

Edited by Necora

I shall get cooking on some new sounds then. To the studio!!!

2 people like this

4 hours ago, Autom said:

to feel I'm really in the forests, the mountains, next to water, etc.

Well, I'm not sure if that level of depth can be modded... it is possible to change certain sounds (e.g. the North mod has birdcalls), or general environment stuff (wind and such), but probably not to add completely new sounds...

Have you checked the game options? It has a sound menu where you can adjust music, UI, ambient and effect sound levels... and if you get into a noisy area, just zoom out a bit, that works as volume control as well... ;)

Well I couldn't find where you link to the sounds in the mod kit. It might be as Paeng said, you might be able to change the ones available but not add new ones.

Download the mod kit and look in the audio folder in the resource bit and see what you think of it.

@The Pilgrim it most certainly IS moddable and youll be doing everyone and everything a favour, i was just thinking about this yesterday.

What we would like are the following loopable ambient sounds:

In the forest (vanilla is: crickets/bugs)

At the river (Vanilla is: running water, frog ribbits)

Housing (vanilla is: general hub bub of people noise)

If youre feeling especially adventurous, i'd really like better rain sounds too....

@Autom welcome thanks for the suggestion :)

@ShockPuppet. It's going to take me a little bit because of RL work and such, but I am thinking about a full scale overhaul on sounds. 

I already have a few in mind... new construction sounds, new blacksmith sounds, ECT. 

Is it possible to make a master list of the sound files?

@The Pilgrim it is possible, we will have a look at it.

The vanilla sounds are not provided but theres probably references to them around the code. finding that will take time, but i believe ive listed most of them already

If you look in the audio part of the mod kit there is a .rsc for each sound 'set' which has about 4 or 5 variants within it. 

Audio.zip

Edited by Necora

you can replace all of these

but to make new ones.....

if you do a new animal :

no problem the code to call an audio event is placed in the animations code file

but for a building, there is the problem :

buildings dont have an animations code file since it has no animations.

even the blacksmith, you remember when you are approaching the BS buildings.... Do you remember to hear a blacksmith working and hammering a metal piece on the anvil ??

bah the code to call the audio event is stored (not in BS building animations since it has none) but in the citizen animation code itself (called "anvil" same place as "saw" or "hammer"...)

Event _events [    { int _frameId = 595; AnimationEvent _event = "Audio/Tool/AnvilEffect.rsc:event"; } ]

}
        {
            String _meshName = "Models\Citizen\CitizenMaleMesh.rsc"; String _sourceName = "Models\Citizen\Citizen.fbx";
            String _name = "AnvilWork";
            int _startFrame = 590;
            int _endFrame = 619;
            float _rate = 15.000000;
            bool _looping = true;
            bool _instanced = true;
            int _maxInstances = 4;
            Event _events [    { int _frameId = 595; AnimationEvent _event = "Audio/Tool/AnvilEffect.rsc:event"; } ]
        }
Edited by Ketchup
2 people like this

so ... how can we call an event of audio without having an animation code file ? i dont know.

A nice shot of thunder once or twice while raining would be nice, just once or twice, not to the point its annoying or anything. I always love a good thunderstorm.

We can attach custom "Ambience" sound loop to any building. The problem is, it starts to play as soon as the building begins construction, it takes a lot of size in the mod as need to be uncompressed wav.

My church bell test was making sound long before the church was built, it was weird.

It takes some doing but I can make the files smaller, thereby using less system resources by making the final product use a lower sound quality level. CD quality is 16bit/44.1khz but I can use lower settings.  Most would balk at that, but unlike video it is much easier to make up for with the modern tools available. It would be almost unnoticeable without a higher end sound system. 

So I will leave it up to you guys, do we want better performance... Or high end sounds?

Edited by The Pilgrim

so where and how you succeeded to attach the loop to the building ?

5 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

So I will leave it up to you guys, do we want better performance... Or high end sounds?

from memory the wav must be very specific settings, although it may be stereo or mono. i'll try to find...

3 hours ago, Ketchup said:

so where and how you succeeded to attach the loop to the building ?

i used the same function that vanilla wood house and stone house use, i added a custom ambient to the rsc files instead of use existing 

2 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

i used the same function that vanilla wood house and stone house use, i added a custom ambient to the rsc files instead of use existing 

i was about to say something on how it doesnt tell me how you did but .....

you talked about woodhouse so i ve gone in reseource / woodhouse....

and i see something i never saw before :S 

AmbientEmitterDescription ambientemitter
{
    bool _addOnCreate = false;
    SoundEffect _soundEffects 
    [ 
        "Audio/Effects/FireEffect.rsc" 
        "Audio/Effects/CrowdEffect.rsc" 
    ]
}

so we can put that in every template ??

and you say ... it start to sound asap you start to build it and last for the eternity ?