Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Autom

Ambient sounds

39 posts in this topic

have you tried to put that in your BellEffect.rsc

AnimAudioEvent event
{
    SoundEffect _soundEffect = "resource";
    float _chance = 0.02;
}

and call the :event instead in your church.rsc  ?

AmbientEmitterDescription ambientemitter
{
    bool _addOnCreate = false;
    SoundEffect _soundEffects 
    [ 
        "Audio/Effects/FireEffect.rsc" 
        "Audio/Effects/BellEffect.rsc:event
    ]
}

@Ketchup that's right.

Instead of crowd effect I made belleffect.rsc 

As soon as it's ready to build, the sound plays. It's very annoying. @Paeng remember that never stopping church bell? Lol

try to add the :event and play with the numbers. maybe a 0.01 or 0.005 ... can make it right

if you can make it sounds like every 2-5mins ... would be great!

Edited by Ketchup

5 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

try to add the :event and play with the numbers. maybe a 0.01 or 0.005 ... can make it right

if you can make it sounds like every 2-5mins ... would be great!

Trust me it really isn't great. The sounds get so annoying and there's no way to play sound every few minutes without adding a lot of empty silence to the wav

This makes huge wav files and make the mod really really extra big

it is possible to send me your files ? so i can try to play with it ? maybe like just your wave, i can do the rsc files...

What about a command similar to how we get "random" items out of the precious mine. Maybe on the line of code have sound.rsc, silence.rsc, silence, silence, sound, silence,. It would give us a more irrythmic pattern and would make us only have to reference one silent file. 

i would do one for testing but it always says : failed to load and convert wave file :(

and there is no tuto about that

(this is why i asked yours ^^)

Edited by Ketchup

@Ketchup when I'm home later I'll send a wav. The file that converts them from the modkit needs to be copied into your mods folder next to package.rsc

2 hours ago, ShockPuppet said:

@Ketchup when I'm home later I'll send a wav. The file that converts them from the modkit needs to be copied into your mods folder next to package.rsc

yeah thats what @Kralyerg told me in PM :) got it converted.

the only thing ... i never succeeded to get it spam lol. best attempts i got once ringing and then after no more sounds at all.

@Ketchup you're lucky, the loop is the most annoying thing.

Actually I'll try to remember how I looped it, some function I took from livestock maybe or something else

^^ i succeeded to have it spam lol

yeah it is annoying. and the float _chance = 0.02; doesnt work for buildings

so only thing left is to put a silence. i did test a 2mins silence and yes , the uncompressed wave jumped from 97,7kb to 2,53mb but...

but... the xWMAEncode.exe is compressing the wav, specially compressing alot the silence so ...

my mod passed from 6,30mb to 6,31mb with the 2 mins sound

thats nothing :)

24 minutes ago, Ketchup said:

^^ i succeeded to have it spam lol

yeah it is annoying. and the float _chance = 0.02; doesnt work for buildings

so only thing left is to put a silence. i did test a 2mins silence and yes , the uncompressed wave jumped from 97,7kb to 2,53mb but...

but... the xWMAEncode.exe is compressing the wav, specially compressing alot the silence so ...

my mod passed from 6,30mb to 6,31mb with the 2 mins sound

thats nothing :)

What are the settings you used for the wav?

the wav i found is mono 16bit : bell.wav 4.3 sec long 

i took soundforge and i made it ring 3 times (13sec long)

and then i calculated 2 mins, 120sec minus 13 sec and i added 107 sec of silence.

but instead to add the silence at the end and have the building start to sound as you put the footprint on the ground .... i ve put the 107 sec first at begining and the 3 ding at the end in the last 13 sec :) that way, it will mostly start to sound... only once it has been built since a while ^^

you can test it : bell2.wav

the .wav is alot bigger, but once processed by the toolkit, it is like nothing

BellEffect.rsc

bell2.wav

Bell.wav

Edited by Ketchup

i ve put 2 mins long... but if you want me to make another of 60 sec or 90 sec... just say :) and i ll do it.

personally i love it at 2 mins :) it doesnt stress at all :)

Edited by Ketchup
1 person likes this

oh you guys, this thread makes me wish i could afford to donate! flat freaking broke right now, but when tax returns arrive, i will pitch in (just dough, i have no useful coding/modding skills) until then, thanks to all who work so generously and tirelessly for banished.

The one problem with adding silence that way is it has to be added to EVERY file we want to loop in an unannoying way. Will the code allow us to reference multiple sound files so that we only need one silent file?

Edited by The Pilgrim

I have a bunch of RL work to get done this weekend, but I intend on hitting the studio to kick out a few new sounds I have in mind. I have a great one for the blacksmith, I think I have good ideas for most of the industrial stuff.  I will make them and put them into a Dropbox here so that any of the developers can use it for thier mods. 

1 person likes this

31 minutes ago, The Pilgrim said:

The one problem with adding silence that way is it has to be added to EVERY file we want to loop in an unannoying way. Will the code allow us to reference multiple sound files so that we only need one silent file?

It kind of works with animals but they have a special list of animations and a sound can be attached only once to each.

Often when we make lists (arrays) in banished, when it's expecting a single item, we get crashes. It will need to be tested but I think it's not possible 

i can test at some point... i have one 2 mins with 3 dings at the end... and before i did one of 2 mins with only 1 ding at the end...

i just need to add the array to have the 2 sounds.

and i have the original with only 1 ding, 4sec, no silence

Edited by Ketchup