Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

MackGideon

Banished Empires

40 posts in this topic

Next: Market Halls

This is the first style, similar to the western europe civs in the castle age and beyond.WO67MlJ.jpg

I've also started work on the western europe civ base market (two storey but with an overhang) and then I'll do the byzantine / middle eastern variants.

4 people like this

If mod like that might happend, i would love too! But i feel, might be problems with trademark?

As long as the mod maker is not using the mod to earn money, many trademark owners will let modders have some freedom.

1 person likes this

These are the earlier tech ones, a halftimber and plastered brick on the left, a thatch and shingle cladded one in the middle, and a log & timber one on the right.

LR1cBzy.jpg

Next up: middle east

4 people like this

I love the banners on the markets, I hope to see lots of banners and streamers in this!

2 people like this

8 hours ago, DesoPL said:

If mod like that might happend, i would love too! But i feel, might be problems with trademark?

You make a decent point. I suppose I'm banking on the fact that the buildings aren't direct copies of the source material, just heavily inspired by them. And though it's possible to place the components of, say, a few walls, a wall arch, and a blockhouse to replicate an AoE2 barracks, it is equally possible to make any other combination of modules.

Whilst I use some ideas from the game, I've done lots of research into the designs and construction materials and methodology of these time periods, and things go from there. I've taken no models, sprites, or textures from the game, and on top of everything I'm doing this for the fun of it and I'll never make profit from it. 😊

1 person likes this

2 minutes ago, Necora said:

I love the banners on the markets, I hope to see lots of banners and streamers in this!

Thanks! 😀 High praise from such a brilliant modder!

I've been steadily building a collection of things like banners, pennants, and other decor items that I'll probably end up using in the mod as placeable objects. Just a happy byproduct of modelling, as I'm sure you'd know. 😉

2 people like this

I actually like teutons alike textures from feudal age, and wish see more buildings like that. Same to celts. :)

1 person likes this

More markethouses:

A mudbrick one, and a sandstone brick one. I haven't done the inlays yet, but getting there

kmlYlhb.jpg

Also two byzantine / orthodox eastern europe ones. Bright vibrant colours to match typical persian tilework.

7k5akFU.jpg

PS: I have learned to never try to make a small sphere on top of a large sphere, even as a realistic cupola. It end up just looking like a boob. :o

Edited by MackGideon
4 people like this

This is certainly going to be an impressive collection once you're done :)

And as for a small sphere on top of a larger sphere, surely it wouldn't be a problem unless you had the two cupolas together...

:P

:D

1 person likes this

More markethouses. This time, asian-style roofs with several different styles

yr8LDG3.jpg

Also, I've gone through all my textures and optimized them with the RIOT program, which is AMAZING and I'd recommend it to any modder. It shrinks 500kb texture files down to like 60kb with zero noticable difference in quality and no artifacting around seamless textures.

3 people like this

Last markethouses, I promise:

Aztec & Mayan.

OLhTJUv.jpg

Next up: Town Halls

3 people like this

So, I took a break from the town halls for a few hours, and did a mockup matrix of the styles of houses that I want to build. Needless to say, things got out of hand...

yNSMcS6.jpg

11 Layouts x 6x Styles (Tier 1 & 2 each for gabled / hipped / adobe) = 66 Houses, each hand-made and unique.

I think I may have gone overboard a little O.o

4 people like this

19 minutes ago, MackGideon said:

I think I may have gone overboard a little O.o

Never!

On 2/5/2017 at 10:40 PM, MackGideon said:

Also, I've gone through all my textures and optimized them with the RIOT program, which is AMAZING and I'd recommend it to any modder. It shrinks 500kb texture files down to like 60kb with zero noticable difference in quality and no artifacting around seamless textures.

Never heard of it before, share a link?

As I've taken a break from directly modelling and I'm playing around with optimizing my textures and creating a library of repeatable components with my existing work, I decided to make a few decorative objects that could be placed around the house:

A chicken coop

gYnaydX.jpg

A Greenhouse

pogVva2.jpg

A Dog house

yqLe7pQ.jpg

A rabbit or guinea pig hutch

wjYuEmK.jpg

and a compost heap

tMG4Th4.jpg

EDIT:

Also, an idea of some of the houses I'm building with my component library:

N8DpYJS.jpg

Edited by MackGideon
2 people like this

Great job! These look great! Just a head's up, Banished doesn't allow partial transparency.

1 person likes this

@MackGideon yup @AzemOcram is right, it seems that partial transparency like the green house doesn't work. I tried making a panel of glass which was a faded white 'reflection' on a transparent back ground. The back ground was transparent in game, but the faded reflection just came out as a solid white block. So it either has to be all or nothing when it comes to transparency.

That being said, I did have an idea for a greenhouse. In blender, not sure about sketchup, you can model a scene then render it, save it as a png, and use it as a texture. This is how I did the trees, I made a few complex trees using partical systems and the like, really realistic looking trees, set up a camera and lighting, then rendered it, and saved the resulting picture as a png which I used as the texture for the branches of the actual game trees. So you can get a lot of detail in just a texture, and each branch is just 1 face.

So my idea was to set up a green house scene with plants and things, put a partial transparent glass around it, render it in the same way as the trees, then use this as a texture for the greenhouse window. The issue would be that you'd have to do either all four sides and a roof, so set up the whole scene and render if from different angles, or you could make the greenhouse with only one side glass. There is a cool barn near me that has the south facing side all windows, and the north, east and west a normal barn. They grow tropical plants in there and made a nice little oasis, great for 50cm snow storms.

2 people like this

12 hours ago, AzemOcram said:

Great job! These look great! Just a head's up, Banished doesn't allow partial transparency.

Gotcha. That's a shame, but I can work with that.

EDIT: A few more little fun ones, then I'll get back to the main event.

Skylights

py4pBar.jpg

A cubby house

OlNE30J.jpg

A tool shed (colours are for textures of hanging tools I'm working on)

f70faH2.jpg

And my favourite so far, an outdoor oven

KRK8eoL.jpg

Now, back to work on the real stuff... doing Town Centers (slow going)

Edited by MackGideon
2 people like this