Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

rebelobster

Building reflection idea

Whilst thinking (wrongly! thank you paeng) that certain builings like pastures couldn't be rotated, wondered if buildings could be reflected.
For example a pasture, with south facing shelter in north east corner, could be reflected to one with a south facing shelter in north west corner. This then allows you to have two / four adjacent pastures with a collection of shelters all together. You often see farm buildings and gates collected around singular access points - saves time and money in construction and also frees up more land for other uses. This reflection tool could be applied to plenty of other buildings too.
As to modding this, (sorry but i dont have the know how yet!), would it just be a "simple" case of adding a coefficient relative to the local building placement coordinates, or a complete, and therefore unfeasible, redraw of the building? A new toolbar selection or keyboard input whilst positioning would also be required.
I have used a similar tool elsewhere to great effect and have not found one, if it exists, for banished.
Pipe dream or not?

1 person likes this

Sorry, I'm not sure I understand... if you want 4 shelters grouped around a single access point, you can simply build them like this -

layout.png

I think @rebelobster is looking for something to mirror a building say make one the looks like this...

xxxll  look like this... llxxx

I guess it should be OK to do. You could, as Pilgrim said, add F-variants to the buildings that is a simple mirror. The one thing with F-variants, and I might be wrong about this if there is a code trick I've not come across yet, is that the interact points need to be in the same place for each variant. You can have smoke coming from a different place for each one, I recently learned how to do that, but I don't think you can do the same for the use point, create point, build points etc. This isn't such a big deal, but your building either needs a) a place on each side that will look good if the bannies are going in to work there, or b) have all of the create and use points on the very center of the building, so it doesn't matter if it is flipped. If, for example, your door to the house is on the right of a model, if you flip that model so the door is on the left, but the points stay the same, then the bannies will be walking through walls. You can also not have different road tile or access tile layouts for F-variants. If you see the Maritimes Mod, the small PEI fishing huts have F-variants with slightly different lay outs in terms of building size, but unfortunately the same position of work points. So this means that in the bigger ones it is fine, but the two smaller buildings, the bannies are kinda ghosting in and out of the walls of the building when working. Visually it is annoying, but functionally it is fine.

Seems like a lot of work for... hmmm, I guess I didn't understand the purpose either (unless simply decoration)... :D

Thanks for the feedback folks

Pilgrim said it very concisely, eg gardenHOUSE|ESUOHnedrag if that makes sense! Lots of semi detached houses where I am, and many buildings do share a common wall. And paeng, yes for the decoration part, I was trying to see if there was a potential option to avoid the "spinning star" type look with your pic above, even though I know it will have a deserving place in some landscapes. Necora - you've put me in my place, ha! - I hadn't fully caught on to the amount of different function nodes, and thus specific locations, each building blueprint may have. I doubt there are many "centred create and use point" or "each side good" buildings that my idea could be used on. It may be possible on a few smaller houses or any that don't have specific create / use points such as, (and im sure i'll be wrong again here, oh well...), the town hall or cemetery. For bannies to avoid ghosting walls to get to their use points on other type buildings, I thought my idea of a coefficient would reverse both visual and in pc reference areas, (sorry computer lingo is not my strong point as im sure you all realise), thus directing both the bannie feet and the visual graphics to the left rather than the right.

Though I am trying to contribute, albeit clumsily, paeng's "seems like a lot of work" sums my idea up rather well. I'll try for a better one next time!

1 person likes this

There are no bad questions or ideas my friend, I'm asking them all the time, some seem dumb (even if they seem good to me) and are not possible but you'll never know if you never ask! I'm still learning how it all works too. I have had the same thought when building pastures, sometimes it annoys me that they only rotate and you cannot have the pasture shelter in the same place just mirrored on the opposite side of the road.

Just FYI - All buildings that the bannies use will have a use point, it is where they work, drop off supplies, pick up supplies etc., so houses, churches, schools, backsmiths etc. Anything that makes a product will also have a create point where the product appears. If you wanted to reverse this, I think they only way to do it would be a separate toolbar instance, i.e. a separate building, rather than an F-variant. This is of course possible, I think CC do it with the row houses, where for each house there is a separate tool bar button, one for the door on the right and one for the door on the left. The issue of course is the pure number of buildings you will end up with if you mirrored everything. However, if there are a few certain ones that you find you really want done, such as pastures, it should be do-able... you just have to find someone willing with the time ;) but also with the pasture it will have to be a new building all together as I don't think we have access to the model files for the vanilla buildings. 

Edited by Necora

1 hour ago, rebelobster said:

trying to contribute

That's the spirit  :):hand1:

1 person likes this

Thanks Necora. Sometimes simple ideas are just not that simple after all!! I really thought that, excuse this poor wording, mirroring a data file along one axis would be a case of multiplying the reference locations by eg minus one and all would follow seamlessly thereafter! Ha, the fool I am! I would never ask for specific file for myself - thought this could be a small tweak that many could benefit from.

I will look at your "learning to create mods discussions" for maritimes again and I will try to remember that "coding", or programming as I knew it, is never as easy as the use of the finished product makes it look.

Thanks but don't get me started or you'll be busy replying and never have time for those wonderful landscapes you do!

Not to keep flogging a dead llama but...

If making a building notes where you place on the map (1) and its orientation (2) from rt keys, then goes about creating the building (3), is it possible to give an option to reflect the orientation function (2) along a coordinate axis started from your placement (1), letting the building creation (3) then take place in what it sees as a normal, yet mirrored to the viewer, fashion? In other words the reflection option is seen by (3) as part of (2)s instructions. If so, then I think no building blueprint changes - wayhay!, just (ha!) a new function (y or g key?) that would enable all buildings to then have 8 and not 4 basic aspects.

I suppose if rt selections change each buildings interact points in ways other than grid coordinates then ... Any thoughts, ie I'm daft, appreciated.

16 hours ago, Necora said:

Just FYI - All buildings that the bannies use will have a use point, it is where they work, drop off supplies, pick up supplies etc., so houses, churches, schools, backsmiths etc. Anything that makes a product will also have a create point where the product appears. If you wanted to reverse this, I think they only way to do it would be a separate toolbar instance

heres a screen grab of something that shows how to do it in the fbx:

ANLRlr.jpg

The game knows when the rsc says FBX > Points, how its attached to the mesh its looking for. (sub object)

PointList resource
{
	String _meshName = "Models\logcabin.fbx";
	String _subObject = "points";
}

it will always look for the sub objects of the mesh its searching for first.

Usually i just rename the points but this is an easy way to allow F's to have different use/smoke positions etc

2 people like this

thanks for replying shockpuppet

I recognise the elevation views and think I understand what you said. If the mesh attachments are looked for first, then these sub objects are defined in a separate earlier process - the model design, (within the model fbx / points files I guess). I didn't fully realise that every RT aspect is also a sort of f variant. If there are four cardinal rotations for each model then there would be four sets of points files for each model within the these files? If just one set, (that the RT keys manipulate) then that would be where I thought a coefficient on the x or y coordinate to mirror the model may be applied at the time of user placement and orientation. I wondered if the RT keys could re-orientate a predesigned model then maybe they could also, with tweaking, do a reflection.

Sorry for taking your time away from the most fine, it truly is!, cc work you're doing. Great site and members you've got!

2 people like this

11 minutes ago, rebelobster said:

If the mesh attachments are looked for first, then these sub objects are defined in a separate earlier process

Yep that broadly the gist of it

Basically all we need do is mirror a mesh and put the points list as a sub object. The points list is the internal system of "work here, create item here, chimney smoke here" etc 

2 people like this

There you go see, I did say 'I might be wrong' and I usually am haha. I had no idea you could attach multiple points to an object like that and the game would read it. In Blender you'd have to name each point with a unique number, build_001, 002, 003, 004, 005 etc., use_001, use_002, _003, _004... so I wasn't sure if the game would still read that.

Mirroring the mesh should just be a command in the code shouldn't it, or would it mean an F variant?