Welcome to Black Liquid Software

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to this site by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more! This message will be removed once you have signed in.

ShockPuppet

New Game In Development

60 posts in this topic

So, does enybody have some news, im really excited to see whats this games will look like!

So this will be evolved Banished by Black Liquid? Can't wait see for more! :)

Hey Shock, great to see you're still alive. That house looks lovely! :D

Good luck with all the hard work.

Question :)

Will your new game have full 100% mod integration and support ? 

Wow sounds good!

Of course anything is still very early alpha I assume... so might be good to see this as planned features (else people will have certain expectations :P ).

Sounds like the system used in The Long Dark but a bit more simplified. Should work very well.

great to see you back @ShockPuppet   good to see new ideas to push the game mechanics farther. is there any way we can come up with an idea to have the bannies use the household items like furniture and candles?this would improve the game dramatically. the food decay option  is a great idea.

how are you feeling/ do hope your recovery has gone well for you.KRAY has been kind and thrown us some fruit baskets off and on.everyone at WOB does want more though.:D

On 04/10/2017 at 1:37 PM, stiles said:

great to see you back @ShockPuppet   good to see new ideas to push the game mechanics farther. is there any way we can come up with an idea to have the bannies use the household items like furniture and candles?this would improve the game dramatically. the food decay option  is a great idea.

how are you feeling/ do hope your recovery has gone well for you.KRAY has been kind and thrown us some fruit baskets off and on.everyone at WOB does want more though.:D

Im great these days thanks :D

Regarding mechanics for household items. We talked about a modular add on system for household items (node based).

Also, I played Tycoon City New York (terrible) but it truly was the king of customising buildings - you could choose from a range of seating, tables, signs and decorations and plop them around each building creating a unique atmosphere. This kind of design was useful, in that more seats at a cafe meant more customers. So, I assume for our purposes it is likely we might set the system up, but for purposes of keeping bees or a little vegetable garden outside at homes, or extra seats at a tavern. For game sense, we should also focus on having a production option there (e.g. bees make honey), so that the code is fully developed, not just for  decorating (we assume if we set the system up, that modders will want to make a range of decorations to add atmosphere).

At this stage, all new buildings have full interiors so we are open minded about the possibilities.

1 person likes this

interesting developments. i am curious as to how the houses would use items. i am sure many modders will want input on that discovery as they will appreciate the animations. while you have been away,there has been much requests for more animals and how you cracked that part of the code.

BARTENDER did much work on the vegetation graphics and also the wwater code.have you had a chance to check them out?

1 person likes this

5 hours ago, stiles said:

interesting developments. i am curious as to how the houses would use items. i am sure many modders will want input on that discovery as they will appreciate the animations. while you have been away,there has been much requests for more animals and how you cracked that part of the code.

BARTENDER did much work on the vegetation graphics and also the wwater code.have you had a chance to check them out?

The animals i made for banished are just normal rigged skeletons i made by hand in 3ds max. This was a long and painful process of learning, using the animal guide that comes with banished modkit. Even should I make the source available for that, it is useless because it can only be used for the animal it was designed for. I will not be making any more animals for banished again, as I have new animals to make for the new game instead.

I have no idea about new developments in banished modding actually, I will be sure to check up when i find the time - everything that is my focus now is on the new game development.

To be honest, im eternally frustrated with banished modding. I know everyone has achieved so much but the only reason I helped make 3d stuff for CC for so long was because I thought it would be nice if people had new things. I dont feel any happiness from making stuff for banished any more because so many things we want to do and we can't.

As i have been learning Unreal Engine, I have discovered that we generally made some real basic mistakes with some of the stuff we made for banished but its not our fault because no one explained exactly how to mod properly for the engine and the community just sort of had to learn on its own. "Draw calls" are one perfect example. Luke (banished dev) told me i shouldnt use more than 1 texture per building for performance reasons but i never knew why, now after studying documents for unreal i know why its so important just to keep it at 1. So there has been and still is a time of discovery about best practices for game development now and it takes a long time but we are getting there.

Compared to modding, using unreal engine is like giving us things from our dreams. Patchy weather and cloud cover with wind gusts for example. Random citizen clothing, body weight etc etc.

2 people like this

Glad to see you back into the swing of things Shock!!  The new buildings look great!

1 person likes this

My respect for starting the development of a new game. Not a simple project but also a logical step after Luke has stopped to support the Banished modkit and not even a hope for some new possibilities.. So good luck for this!

1 person likes this

@Tom Sawyer 

Thank you, for a while I hoped maybe to get access to more of banished engine. The more I learn about game dev, the more I realize what a bad thing that would be. We achieve through modding a lot of possibilities by hacking code apart, the only person who can successfully edit the engine properly is the developer. There are no documents, no support.

yeah thats sad, we never got support :(

but back to your game : what exactly you are planning for , for your game ? a kind of banished 2.0 ? 

1 person likes this