American Colonies Architecture Pack

we heard that before and they sent you to the twilight zone for a while. lol jk. we know life and wives keep us from fun sometimes.

Ok, so here is where I am at... I am having a bit of confusion with myself over the matter of scale...  I have found an incredible resource at the library of Congress which contains architectural drawings of several thousand historical American buildings. I think I can readily convert these into designs for accurate models, but I need to figure out what we are using for a standard scale.  I am thinking it is between 7 to 10 feet per square (2-3 meters, maybe a bit over). 

Secondly, I have discovered that almost all of the buildings, regardless of shape, began construction as simple rectangular buildings.  I am wondering what you guys think about having the buildings start out as a smaller structure, and upgrade to larger buildings.  I think the only way this is possible is for the smaller building to be made with the same size footprint as the largest upgrade.  The other thing I was thinking is that additions to the original structure could be modular peices similar to what RK does with the NMT houses, or as ghost pieces.  

What say you my people?

I am learning modeling at the moment, so am by no means an expert, but I believe that 1 square is equal to 1 meter x 1 meter, and a bannie is 1 meter tall (they fit a square laying down). The buildings I have made so far have been too large, the latest one had a large door about 1.8 m tall which dwarfed the bannies. Made a good barn door, but too much for a building. In a smaller version, the door is 1.2 m high and is better, although could be a little smaller I think. You can see in the pics below that even the 1.2 m high door is more of a barn door than anything else. The buildings are 2x2, so in blender 2 meters x 2 meters. I am actually having a hard time thinking how to scale these down, because 1x1 will be too small, but 2x2 is too large. I might have to take up some space with decorations or something. 

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/PEIShore.jpg.9c240adf757b5193d7a8b322e41a3836.jpg" data-fileid="204">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2016_12/PEIShore.thumb.jpg.2e41a65dda94773b5f50c191a5d2b3ee.jpg[/img]</a>

As for the build stages, I guess you could have the smaller buildings the same footprint as the larger ones but fill it with road tiles and decorations etc.

Quote:
58 minutes ago, The Pilgrim said:

but I need to figure out what we are using for a standard scale.

Standard Scale?  Surely you jest. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

some plars dont like the idea of kicking ppl out of their homes to upgrade the buildings.i agree with amodular concept.as to your scale,i remember reading on WOB and i think a tile is under 5 ft.a bani layed on its back is longer than a tile.but that might depend on the program you use to mod with.i think it is a NECORA has found a trial and error process.

I am going to go with a scale of 6 feet per tile. 

Still want more feedback on modular design vs upgrade. 

Quote:
8 hours ago, The Pilgrim said:

I am going to go with a scale of 6 feet per tile. 

Still want more feedback on modular design vs upgrade. 

Modular design is great for any side by side or for multi family scenarios. Upgrades are great for starting small and going upwards (literally) 

PILRGIM the housess you showed designs for work as stand alone versions.we can modular add cellars to them.possably a wood storage could be attached.when u have a wall with a high window or no window then yes it could be set tight to the tile edge to leave the option of modularly adding on to the house later.i would like to see that especially with barns. with barns now when you add a fenceless pasture near the barn and build your own fence the corner where the fence meets the barn gives a hole for the animals to get out.i usually fake it with a tree or a bush.i like shocks idea in adding lofts or 2nd floors to use a modular idea verses a full upgrade. to me the upgrades dont yeild much. ww gain some in the firewood use but otherwise its all cosmetic. the loft or 2nd floor would add another residence. in the future as this project expands,i think as you design blacksmiths ,tailors,etc then it will be important to build modular and attach living quarters to those buildings. i'd like to see that not just as an added floor but also attached on the ground level.

After many discussions with you all and careful consideration, I am changing tack slightly on this mod. This evening, I will post complete sketches for base houses in 4x2, 4x3, and 5x3 all with f variants to be used for modular construction.  The modular additions (lean to, vestibule, ell, and several other mostly decorative peices) will be posted tomorrow. 

The addition peices will either add more storage or more families. This will represent the multigenerational housing design that was very common back in the colonial period. 

I haven't contributed anything to this discussion but I'd just like to add a vote of support. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> the houses you choose to mod look great and I believe they will be a great addition to the game. While I appreciate the original game wasn't designed to supply dozens of house styles, I like to have some variety and with all you fine people making mods, I have been able to get that. This mod will be another that I will happily add to my collection. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />