Maritimes Development Thread

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> so I was wondering if adding more natural resources would reduce the occurrence of others? Or just add to it? So if say you have 5 items, and all spawn 10 times, if you add another 5 items, do they all spawn 5 times now, or will all 10 spawn 10 times? I hope that makes sense... If the latter, I can see what you mean by over powering gatherers.

The way I have done it here is to add flax and hemp as natural 'wild' resources which spawn on the map, but this gatherer will only collect those two resources, and the vanilla gatherer will not, and hopefully neither one is overpowered. This is why I called it a 'pine forager' to try to distinguish from a vanilla gatherer. The idea is that he/she will only go out and get raw materials for pine production chain, i.e. hemp, flax, boughs, and resin, and not touch wild food, while the vanilla gatherer will not touch these pine items (I assume). I wanted to add it as a way to slowly get some of these resources at the start of the game - you still need a lot of flax and hemp to make rope - same as <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> values. I needed a way to get resin and boughs, figured this is the best way rather than a hut that just generates them from nothing. Later on I might introduce some sort of pine orchard that generates these at a reasonable level, like the crop fields for hemp and flax. But as these are basic industries relying on natural resources, I thought it would be good to have them done this way too for early game chains. 

Quote:
Just now, Necora said:

so I was wondering if adding more natural resources would reduce the occurrence of others?

it might but then it might not because theres a lot of map space to work with.

Technically only 1 spawn can occupy a given tile, but theres a lot available. Playtesting will provide details 

ok so according to all this ,my herbalist finds herbs based on luck. and my gatherer does nothing to help the blueberries spread,etc.

Quote:
Just now, stiles said:

my gatherer does nothing to help the blueberries spread

this is correct. they pick up whats on the ground.

it never occurred to me to make someone plant all the wild stuff. This sounds like something <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> would know about.

Quote:
15 minutes ago, ShockPuppet said:

it never occurred to me to make someone plant all the wild stuff.

I was thinking a while back about apples. I wanted to make a small juice and cider press, but without an orchard you can't get them. Nothing wrong with an orchard, but around here there are loads of 'wild apples'. 'Wild' in the sense that settlers came across with apple seeds, and planted them everywhere. Not just in orchards, but along the sides of roads and things too. However, apart from having a bundle of apples spawn in a similar way to onions etc., or a small apple tree that is removed when the fruit is harvested, I was wondering if there would be a way to make a gatherer type building act like an orchard, i.e. instead of clear the resource when collected, tend to it and harvest from it like an orchard, but in a radius like a gatherer. Is this possible? It would be great for the pine boughs and pine resin. At the moment I am planning on having them as resources that appear as if fallen from a tree, and the gatherer picks them up. But it would be neat to be able to make a pine tree natural resource that has a resin tap on it, and instead of hacking down the tree every time resin is collected, the gatherer just taps a bit off.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> has spawners in his Krazy Kave mods, including apples [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Perhaps having a chat with him about how he did it would be helpful.  I use that all the time for grapes [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Re icons, I will see how I go.  I have a couple of ideas but it's putting it "to paper" is the problem currently.  haha!! 

So new Ambient Occlusion for the Pine set... The storage has no AO for comparison, the still, forager, and kiln do have AO.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot57.jpg.ddc2a372980c7f6389c18c13bcf0b6f8.jpg" data-fileid="1001">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot57.thumb.jpg.63aaf23348be851b857480de3a92f8bd.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot58.jpg.8f17a2cd06763db6603354a67c48e73f.jpg" data-fileid="1002">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot58.thumb.jpg.b2f599becc33dae9bf54a9b50e1b50b8.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot59.jpg.426ca32b235b98bb8668a73e96225b0d.jpg" data-fileid="1003">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot59.thumb.jpg.5905238dec38b56ba96df9dafeb603a6.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot60.jpg.a95f500d911cf82b8a5d9ac5cc3f8354.jpg" data-fileid="1004">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot60.thumb.jpg.a2bd987918526063490fe1e6206f40ac.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> what do you think? Too dark, at least in places? I'm not sure if I find some of it too dark, such as the base of the chimney in the turpentine still which is almost black. Either that or if it is because I'm just not used to seeing them with shading! It does add some fantastic contrast to the models, and makes them look 'used' in a way. I love how it brings out the seams in the wood panels on the ends of the roof. Only thing is I have no idea how to reduce the contrast in the AO, is it acceptable to edit it in Photoshop or something after the fact, just to tone down some of the more extreme contrasts such as that chimney?

The crops are also way too dark still, so going to have to play with those a bit more.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> would you send me the fbx for the kiln and i'll do my AO and you can take a look at it?

it is winging its way to you through the PM

Edit - and this is the AO

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PitchKilnAO.png.c1bec8a3c830e4ca749ae154b072a32d.png" data-fileid="1006">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PitchKilnAO.thumb.png.6f7c3fabc2e20241cee81e8077d4de25.png[/img]</a>

Quote:
2 hours ago, QueryEverything said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> has spawners in his Krazy Kave mods, including apples [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  Perhaps having a chat with him about how he did it would be helpful.  I use that all the time for grapes [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Re icons, I will see how I go.  I have a couple of ideas but it's putting it "to paper" is the problem currently.  haha!! 

And on a related note although I don't know how useful it will be for you, there is a mod called Pesky Produce http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/291-Pesky-Produce

Basically it causes crop and orchard produce to "seed the wild" around the crop/orchard to replicate the idea that seeds from the crop have travelled outside the pasture boundaries. It's quite effective, I've had one example where "wild" lettuce was so prolific I had to constantly gather it so that other plants (like herbs & wild flax), had a chance to grow!

I don't know if the author (Owlchemist) is still active in Banished modding or not but they made two other mods that I recall that dealt with extra spawns "in the wild". The other two mods are: - 

Rocks Respawn http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/251-Rocks-Respawn

Old Growth Forests http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/286-Ol...th-Forests

It would be absolutely great if Owlchemist considered sharing the string tables for any of these but I haven't seen any (although I didn't search particularly hard either!) If nothing else, at least it sort of shows that what <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> is thinking about could possibly work.