Maritimes Development Thread

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> the two buildings in the second pic are the maple boiler and cider press [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> . They are small lots, both 1x3, with a basic pot over a fire for the maple and a small apple press for the cider. They are meant to be small little things you could pop in a court yard or a yard of a house or something. We're thinking tiny industry here! They will both produce a respectable amount of syrup and cider, but not too much. I might make larger versions for the Sherbrooke set.

A still... yes. I was going to use the turpentine still as a base for whiskey still. It will be smaller than the current turpentine still, but a bit larger than the maple and cider buildings. I'm thinking 2x2 or 2x3.

Hunter... yup can do, would be a nice addition.

Storage and market... there is one storage building at the moment, I used the turpentine still and took away the stove and still, it makes a great double level storage for materials and textiles. I definitely want some small storage bits too, I get so tired of seeing stock piles everywhere! I can't decide between general storage with a few F-variants or resource specific storage. What would you prefer?

Residences... love the idea of ones that can be placed 'above' the humble industry. I will definitely give those a go.

Fur trapper... I found a nice pelt texture the other day and thought about it. I kinda want to wait and see if <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or someone comes up with something for that, I know the discussion is on how to implement it with respects to just producing something out of nothing or actually having a wild resource to harvest. I like that lodge idea, I thought about something similar a while back but wasn't sure how to implement it. I also guess you could have the traps spawn like wild foods, and then when harvested they produce a type of pelt.

All good ideas! Isn't there a trout lake out there too? A lake would be interesting, even from a decorative point of view too.

when my grandfather and uncle boiled sap,we had a large shallow metal pan over a fire.probly 3x6 foot or more. as for the press check this out:http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?act...ew;down=74

i like the idea of  markets being specific. i  have 1 building set that can store logs and stone.http://worldofbanished.com/index.php?act...5741;image

the problem with it is even thou these buildings are empty the game will tell you you are out of room for stone,etc. the good thing with markets is they will move itmes toward workers instead of just storing like piles.

i have this that i use for a hunting lodge now:http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/226-EMPORIUM-A-Market-Storage-Building#description.    good for storage and supplying food to the forrest workers. be nice to have a better 1 with modular ends 1 for a hunter,1 for gatherer.

no i have not seen a lake mod. we have a shore trout fisherman and <abbr title="New Medieval Town">NMT</abbr> has a fish pond. and we have a couple decoration ponds. but they are tiny.plus they have rocks ll around them. no earthen bank at all. right now i am using "the north" and "<abbr title="Colonial Charter">cc</abbr>" together and have trout and salmon, no "fish".

did u understand the forest idea?? a placeable lot that you can still add to but by setting the work here n there it would look like a person ran around the forest and the modder could control the amounts that it produces.instead of  the forest giving u random items and being limited to the # of squares. i got thinking of that with all u figuring out the pine pitch. you could do it in various sizes and leave a section in the center blank so we could place other buildings.why i think it may have to be built as a ghost mod.

right now i am trying to build every mod building in 1 map using "the NORTH" and "<abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>" together. was working good til i hit a bouut yr 35-36. been fatal errors and i save n try to diagnose why and i can keep saving and the game progesses past the last error time. haven't gave up yet thou.just with all the constant saving makes the game play soo slow.

I like the idea of a small still as an alternative to the larger alcohol production buildings we've seen in other mods (specifically because as you've said <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> it's something to use in a small settlement). I'd like to see the other buildings you've mentioned too and I have a few thoughts on some of them.

Perhaps some cellar storage? Cellars like Discrepancy has made that can be fitted to a house or even to another storage building. I know it's pretty much just a doorway into the underground storage but it solves a few problems that I have found when making small villages (because I don't want a great big storage barn in my small forest village!) What about the idea of a "stone cutter" which would provide stone but not like a quarry? There was a similar idea done by the same guy who made The Fountain Mod: Highborn Society. It has two buildings, one to collect iron and the other to collect stone. They effectively work like gatherers do for food and herbs but in this case they collect iron or stone. Granted they will have a finite resource to collect but I believe that at that point most players would start to build quarries anyway.

The Fountain Mod Lite http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/687-Th...n-Mod-LITE - listed because it shows the iron gatherer and stone gatherer

The Fountain Mod (full) http://banishedinfo.com/mods/view/686-Th...escription

In regards to houses, I'd love to see some simple turf/sod/stone huts. Something that can be used for starting houses in a new settlement or as "rough" homes for small forest villages. There could even be some storage huts of the same composition. 

[Image: 315px-Keldur_01.jpg] Icelandic sod farm buildings https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sod_house  

[Image: 74145383.jpg] 

Finnish stone & turf hut in Raappana https://www.panoramio.com/user/6992741?photo_page=4 

And if you have any thoughts about using charcoal in one of your industry chains then perhaps a charcoal burner's hut as a home for the charcoal worker.

[Image: CharcoalBurnHut6.JPG]  Charcoal burner's hut http://www.hainaultforest.co.uk/3charcoalburnershut.htm  

An apiary would be nice.

KEVIN U are using <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> right? already have cellars. and it is a set: separates food,tools,medicine,etc. i think they take less space than the DS version. there are also root cellars but they are bigger and unless u have <abbr title="New Medieval Town">NMT</abbr> they need to be set in a hill.Ds  made a cpl storages similar to your sod h.ouses also. look up turf barn or tithe barn @ WOB.ialso use some of the fountain mod. have you added the renewable resource mod? that has a stone and iron "forester". it actually keeps the stone from running out and it works like a forester so the worker harvests and plants themself. i use these with the fountain gatherers to move the stone and iron to a bigger pile.add the tiny mod set for a mine and a quarry and u got a good start for a game. we could use a firewood gatherer but i dont think <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> has firewood dropping from trees yet.thou when using the north i do have it. the only problem we have in expanding the forest set seems to be the more we add the less likely the others will appear. if we have 5 itmes to collect then we have a 1 in 5 chance per square of having x item. if we expand then we have 1 in n chances of getting the x item. that was why i thought of the ghosted forest idea,where the modder could set the production levels.problem i see in designing such a thing is the more we add to it by rights the more workers it should take to run it. i dont think there is a way to set a building to 1 worker u get this ,2 workers u get this +that,3 u gert this+that+ more.its almost like it becomes a village in the middle of the woods. but then each part is limited by the number of squares in a radius.as those circles overlap it limits the items you can collect.if we set a building say 4x4 to produce anything,the worker works in that space and wont seem like he is running around the forest gathering the items.hence why the huge area of a ghost forest.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a>  Every mod you've mentioned I am already using. I regularly use the cellars in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> as well as the cellars from Discrepancy's mods and particularly the Viking Storage Vault from his DS Storage Beta mod. However those cellars do not match the materials and textures in Necora's buildings and in some cases they don't align properly with Necora's buildings. Plus there's the chance that Necora may make stand alone root cellars like those you can find in rural Europe and North America, example below.

[Image: rootcellars3.jpg]  Image from https://library.ndsu.edu/grhc/articles/n...llars.html

The reason I mentioned the Stone & Iron gatherers running out of resources after a certain time is because not everyone uses the Renewable Resources mod but some of them want an alternative to making a quarry when they start their town. The benefit of using the Stone & Iron gatherers is that once they have run out of resources, you can upgrade their buildings to medium stone houses.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>just sneaking in for a min [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Fabulous work, can't wait to test it out [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

What about a small dairy, milk churner, to fit in the small forest area, a small extension to your dairy but where they manufacture cheese, butter, yoghurt, favoured yoghurts etc.

Utilise all those berries the gatherer collects [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  

Also, mini butcher (we have the larger one in <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>??) that can produce goodies from the hunter's venison.

Will be able to make our very own Charcuterie /antipasto platters [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  

Very excited by the latest developments [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Re <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> idea of the stone cutter, perhaps a Mason (not sure why one hasn't been included elsewhere yet), that takes the raw stone produced from mines & quarries and turns them into "stone pieces", which give better "stone" values than the vanilla stone and therefore extends the raw materials use just a bit.  The balance to the better quality stone is that we lose 1 person to a new trade, and that can alter a number of different game options, and the food producers need to carry his load of 100 per year. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

I support the idea of "QueryEverything" - a small dairy, mini butcher and  can fish smokehouse or - mini building where Chef seems different Denmark oo Fish and shellfish Straight? For example:

Herring Fried = herring +  onion, smoked mackerel = Mackerel + Tomatoes.  Boiled lobster= lobster  + Vegetables ETC.

ALL ideas and everything that has been created in the "Maritimes" I really do like, I'm happy

Thank you for your work on this fantastic modem .If not'm not mistaken IS big and independent?:[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

Can be mini greenhouse, where in winter you can grow: tomatoes, cabbage, Brussels sprouts, peppers, etc.? The second thought - maple syrup makes me think of pancakes? - Add syrup and ketchup to dishes- it was fantastic ?[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f79df03d_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic569.png[/img]

Great ideas all, keep them coming. Not all will make it, I don't have enough time! But there are some good ones in there that I will incorporate. Personally, I don't particularly like buildings that take foods and produce a meal or something, there are too many possible options and only so much value you can add to food and I would rather later game strategies that get rid of food rather than make more of it., such as 10 tomatoes = 1 tin of tomatoes. Perhaps though. I do like things like a green house, that would be good. A small dairy and a small butcher would look nice here. Perhaps break them up, so instead of the one in all dairy we have a butter churner, a cheese person (word escapes me), and a creamery. Butcher would be venison only, unless I add another resource (... not an animated animal, but perhaps another animal? someday...).

I do need to ask <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> a question though. I have production buildings that produce one of a specific resource, or that combine multiple resources into one. How do you do it so that the buildings produce a random mix of set resources, or a range of resources from one? For example, I want the pitch kiln to take pine wood and produce pitch and charcoal at the same time. At the moment I can only think of making a drop down menu to select either pitch or charcoal, I don't know how to get them both made simultaneously.

A little development update...

Sherbrooke village IRL was all about boat building, on a smallish scale, and lumber. Lumber was a huge industry here. I love how <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> uses lumber strongly in the game, and I will continue that. I've started with some small lumber cutters, they allow you early access to the resource but at a cost, time. I absolutely love the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> saw mill, the land based one. It might well by one of my favorite buildings, well the wood version anyway. But I decided to make a stream version.

Sherbrooke IRL has a great water powered saw mill, but there is one floor to replicating it in game. There is no elevation when it comes to rivers and streams! It is not possible to create a mill pool which will look good in game, as everything is at the same level. Perhaps it is possible, but it will take some doing, esp as you can't change the water level. So I've been milling this over (sorry) in my mind for a while, and today attempted to make a good looking saw mill that will straddle a small creek. This mill will produce lumber and firewood similar to the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> mills, and allow three workers. As it straddles the creek, it also acts as a bridge. Now, at the moment it is a fixed width, but placement is a bit tricky, you need a[img][/img] straight and relatively narrow bit of water. So I might play around with a few modular pieces for the bridges and damn, so you can have it on a stream of any width and it will still look good. Oh, and I forgot the bridge supports. They need to be added.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot182.jpg.7b41c312fe683c3c72286da39e7307c7.jpg" data-fileid="1093">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot182.thumb.jpg.d39edb1372a541406b53aca167b8aa00.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot180.jpg.0a4910e220193ff265a667459bb7a791.jpg" data-fileid="1094">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot180.thumb.jpg.0ab5bb0629cfb11c0aca31a1833841b3.jpg[/img]</a>