Maritimes Development Thread

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> the trim colour, yes it's a question I was asking myself only last night for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. There's a feeling of wanting it to look it's best and also theme match the trim of other buildings. 

It feels tall, the tall roof. If this is historically accurate then go with it [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I must confess though I've recently taken a step back from the strictest historic accuracy. 

I'm no help, please someone else reply lol [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Personally, I prefer the buildings white, brown, red. Gray buildings and gray wood color is a little sad, but that of Mr. depends on can be bronze finish

It is a bit tall I think. I do like both trim textures. Maybe keep it as it looks in the screenie. 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> it seems to happen every time I try a new texture... and if by 'historically accurate' you mean accurate to what NSPower in the '30s recreated of a building where there were no designs/sketches, or any sign of at all was accurate then sure it is! I realized quite quick that while historical accuracy is the aim, that is not always possible in game. I got rid of the brick straight away because it is not accessible until late game. Also a lot of the original buildings in Port Royal are being re-purposed for this mod, such as the sail loft being a storage area as sails do not come until later, the chapel is being re-designed because IRL it is pretty nondescript, the tailor is actually the captain of the guards house IRL, and the Lieutenant-General's house will be the school. I'll also add a second level to some of the buildings, because while the second level IRL is just the sail loft, I really like the way it will look and think it would be perfect for housing. I like to think of it as being 'inspired by' IRL buildings rather than a re-creation of them. Allows me to employ a good deal of imagination to the project.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> I lowered the roof a bit, to take the edge off. But yeah, I think I will stick with the gray on the other buildings for now, maybe I'll have a change of heart later and switch it to brown.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> lol the best kind of accuracy i see!

You know, i had a certain brown wood texture for a while, then last night I was thinking "I want grey on this particular building". My impulse was to use a different texture, but then i realised that my buildings would be some brown, some grey... so i did the only sane thing. I took the brown out of the original texture so it was grey lol ... lazy? yes. Easy? Yes! Possibly have repercussions of other buildings i forgot about that are relying on that texture? Probably yes! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> Life is good.

I think that in all reality having different textures on different buildings would have been historically accurate. Most of the surviving buildings that I have seen of the period have a good bit of variation in thier finishings. 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> that is true, but in this case it was a small fort like compound so all of the buildings would have been pretty identical apart form maybe a bit better roof for the general/lieutenants houses. Hence why, just for this Port Royal set, there will be no F-variants and only the coal black texture.

Alrighty, we have a fully functioning Grist Mill for the Port Royal set of the Maritimes mod...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot3.jpg.f96cbf1cc634b1f482429c7bdc24466d.jpg" data-fileid="744">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot3.thumb.jpg.181f70e553e7480f5d8cd89cf729ead9.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot4.jpg.af2d3b92459bde123692c8c47dc5372a.jpg" data-fileid="745">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot4.thumb.jpg.b86a8028b1d0c2d0287cf65c592af05a.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot5.jpg.f0de590e0af1dda73c48f5fb9320535a.jpg" data-fileid="746">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot5.thumb.jpg.f570882a459a6507563301e3f0fd0930.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot6.jpg.78796df7dde957b4b9f203dc406ef4e1.jpg" data-fileid="747">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot6.thumb.jpg.84dea410ac3c8a3f256e55fd7d9de350.jpg[/img]</a>

Although... I did just realize I need build stages...

So for anyone curious, I have some coding to do to make sure it is all seamless, the icons are good, the names are correct etc. I expect the next update to be Friday if everything goes to plan, and will include these PR buildings and the NS Inshore Fisheries.

All women are told, stripes can be your best friend, or your worst enemy.

You want height darling? Long vertical stripes, that will give you legs for days  ....

Horizontal is for girth, you want to show them your assets, a quick little line will do it.

More importantly, if you're holding weight, for the love of god, put the woven jersey knit down, what were you thinking??? 

(that's for another topic, move along now ....)

My point, other than the scathing sarcasm that women are treated to when we're learning about fashion and our bodies, is that, perhaps the roof might be to the right scale, but the vertical texture is giving the optical allusion that it's too big?

Anyway, sarcasm & wit aside, fabulous job <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>, I can't wait to try them out [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  I have the perfect map ready to go for them ...  waiting, waiting, waiting ...  HEHEHE (no pressure).

*love 

ps:  my sarcasm was not meant to offend anyone, or suggest that Necora's piece was to be offended either, it's what goes through my head when I see tall vertical lines which are prominent. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I realize you are way up north so those roofs are built for snowloads. i thought you were building "A"-frames.lol

I get the impression that the perception of height in the building is overemphasized by the textures used for the roof. To be clearer, I believe that the vertical lines of the roof material makes the roof "look" like it's pitched higher than what it actually is. The vertical lines on the roof draw your eye upwards all the time, on the smaller buildings it isn't so pronounced but on the grist mill it "appears" to be much more significant.

I know this involves some more experimenting but it might be worth trying with a different roof material to see if the impression of height is due to a trick of the eye or if it is indeed because the building is rather tall.