Maritimes Development Thread

I've just been searching the web for more images of the replica grist mill and I can see that <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> has modelled it very closely (we know he changed from brick to wood walls for game compatibility so that's not something to concern ourselves with). The first image of the mill appears to show the vertical lines on the roof but they don't look to me to be as obvious as the vertical slats used on the smaller buildings in the Port Royal site. So maybe toning down the contrast on the roof texture would reduce the perception of the mill being too tall?

Port Royal grist mill, image 01 - you can see the building is quite tall

[Image: SCVIEW344782.jpg]

Port Royal settlement - small buildings, even these buildings have a roof with a steep pitch.

[Image: 2portRoyal2.jpg]

Port Royal grist mill, image 02 - in this image it looks to me that the roof is shingle and not slats like on the smaller buildings but my eyes have had half a century of use so they ain't what they used to be!

[Image: lequil3038.jpg]

Thanks for the input everyone I do appreciate it. Scale and proportions are very important in making something that looks good in game. For now, I think lowering it .5m actually did the job pretty well, I like how it looks in the last set of screen shots. I'm not sure if you noticed, but another aspect that changed the perception of size is the thickness of those wooden beams framing the roof. Originally, I was focused on getting the details and forgot about scale so when I put it all together and applied a texture, they were far too thick. I scaled them down a fair but, but they are still a tad too thick. I learnt early on that even something so small as the thickness of a support beam or the height/width or a door or window can completely throw your perception of a building off. Perhaps that roof texture does need the contrast decreased a bit to make the stripes less bold.

Last night I took a visit to Sherbrooke Historic Village to see the Christmas lights before they took them down today. Was a lovely walk around, not a soul in the town apart from me, my girlfriend, and our dog, and the night watchman. It's only 1 hour drive away, and should be a crime that I've not visited there yet, especially as during the day they have blacksmith workshops etc.

The good news is that being a preserved 1800s village, I have some inspiration for future buildings, and got to see some of the ones I already had planned such as the blacksmith, church, and school in person.

The bad news is that between that and work, I've not had any time to really get into the code of the new Port Royal buildings, so will have to spend the weekend doing that. But perhaps this is not bad news after all, although you wont get an update until Monday at the earliest, it will give me time to give the buildings a once over and make sure everything works and looks good. And also maybe add a couple more things such as this two tiered material warehouse and dry good storage...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyal02.jpg.d9b217f97348c9cc45c3834931cac535.jpg" data-fileid="793">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyal02.thumb.jpg.443eb9a94a2b6effabbab2842a8605e8.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyal03.jpg.2bb96d64ff227d0802d6250bc4cf79df.jpg" data-fileid="794">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyal03.thumb.jpg.3fdadc9e33fdc6791a1b6c08fb1da96f.jpg[/img]</a>

Everything is looking great <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>.  You are doing an amazing job.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> As <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> said, you're doing an amazing job and even though I'm impatient for the next release, don't feel like you need to rush it out to please us. You've already made a very sizeable mod considering the original concept was a small addition to the fishing industry. You've obviously got some really great inspirational material nearby (i.e. the historic precincts) and you've clearly got a passion for making models of those buildings and a bucket-load of talent for it, so yeah, do it at whatever pace satisfies you and then release it when you're ready - we can wait!

Cheers all, appreciate it. Here is a taster of what else will be added to the set... 

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyalSchool.jpg.96459bf1154140cc4cb1380842497394.jpg" data-fileid="799">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyalSchool.thumb.jpg.007a1a87f83dde0fd1b2fa909a87c75e.jpg[/img]</a>

Schoolhouse?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="153" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/153-feneris/">@Feneris</a> yes indeed... to go with the town hall...

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PRTownHall.jpg.7d862c3c948dbf0498a1c0ad2bde9b9a.jpg[/img]

We got a snow storm coming, which means I won't be leaving the house for a while. While that is a shame, I just signed up for a learn to skate course which is meant to start Sunday, it does mean plenty of model making as long as the power stays on... so hopefully I can finish the Port Royal set. The next job is a small chapel, a couple more industry buildings (small weaver or something), a couple more storage (I think some cellars to go beneath the ones shown earlier, one for edibles and one for alcohol/luxuries) and some houses to finish off the set, a couple of which will be modular and will be able to be placed above the town hall and school.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyalTownSet.jpg.c7ddb05e95f26055db970d029e9c4c96.jpg" data-fileid="801">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/PortRoyalTownSet.thumb.jpg.37967abb419b5300ece8df660877be2d.jpg[/img]</a>

wow its really good [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Those roofs... You could fit a whole other house in there! So like, when you get sick of the family, you convert the roof space into your own private kingdom