Maritimes Development Thread

As a suggestion from a purely visual perspective, perhaps it's worth darkening the colour of the Pitch Kiln a little so that it stands out a bit more from the dirt road?

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> I love the texture of the kiln, would you mind sharing? Id like to try it somewhere

Good work.

Quote:
11 hours ago, Necora said:

Edited:

Now, for some community involvement! I suck at making icons - I have no idea why - it is something that I am not very good at. So, I decided to ask you guys for some help. If anyone can make icons, or can at least find good icons, I will be very grateful. So grateful, in fact, that if you do <em style="font-size:inherit;">find me </em>some good icons, I will be willing to name a building after you. That is right, you will be forever immortalized in the Banished world. The Sherbrooke industry set, IRL, does not just say 'Blacksmith' or 'Tailor' above the door, as I have done in my set, but has a name... "Joe McLane. Blacksmith" and "Donald McDonald. Tailor.". So, if you contribute with icons, I will name one of these buildings (or another coming out of that set) after you (or your handle, or you can come up with a name if you wish). But wait, the stakes get higher... if you <em style="font-size:inherit;">make me</em> a set of icons I will not only name a building after you, but will even build a building or a small set of buildings of your choice (I am thinking about those beach huts there <a data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a>...) as a way to say thank you (you'll have to make the icons for them haha).

Now, some of the icons in the maritimes set I do like, the dock pieces, a few others. But most suck, buildings and resources. You'll notice a lot of the produce icons are black and white and any that are not were probably borrowed from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. Some are so small you can't see what they are. At the moment, all new resources above are just a picture of a barrel. I don't care if you just write 'Turpentine' or 'T' on that barrel tbh, as long as it represents turpentine.

Buildings need 1 icon that is 32x32 px, resources need two icons, 1 32x32 and 1 16x16px (I use the same icon just scaled down, which is why it sometimes looks bad).

...Over to you...

Meep, pick on the person who has no artistic talent at all and can barely manage MS Paint, haha! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Let me see what I can do, in paint.  

Is there a how-to anywhere that is easy to follow that I can see how an icon is made specifically for Banished, or is it as simple as opening a 32x32 space, and save as "name"?

Any tips from the gallery would be helpful and a shove to a how-to would be terrific.

For what it's worth, I like your icons.

So, what ones do you need at the moment?  Anything specific you already have in mind?

Off to eat a late dinner, then to google.

BTW - I can't wait to test the new buildings!! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> what I have been doing so far is taking images from google search then making them white, or combining them, or something, to make them represent what I a building. The building ones are OK for the most part, but when I can't find a free .png I get stuck. For example, I couldn't find a good free still png, so that is now a barrel. I also couldn't find a good turpentine (or something resembling turpentine) image, so that is also a barrel for the time being. Finding color ones is also tricky as a lot are too cartoonish, and others just don't scale well. You don't need to make them from scratch, using free resources is fine, I am just hoping someone here has a better hand with editing small images than I do. 

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> Sure. It is from www.sketchuptextureclub.com - free registration with a 15 texture a day download limit. It is fantastic for siding and shingles etc., I've found way more good textures on there than on textures.com. So much to choose from. I do need to darken that texture a little bit though.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/587b86a993ce3_39_mudwalltexture-seamless.jpg.f0db3e7173845ab142095f89764855f2.jpg" data-fileid="982">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/587b86abf0a48_39_mudwalltexture-seamless.thumb.jpg.45faaf2eba08dd12bc296f3ba0dbffef.jpg[/img]</a>

Well, I managed to get Hemp and Flax into the game as crops (or, very bad attempts at crops - look at how the hemp glows it the dark dude... trippy...)...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="984" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot39.jpg.7b8a0ea96bc3e8a0ea87d18931b995e4.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot39.thumb.jpg.f8dbd3669c9f74c58063af32b7038b95.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="985" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot40.jpg.2ac1363b352a2c82d982e5e7247ca6a1.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot40.thumb.jpg.dbd145902e36f94ecdd697e95611690c.jpg[/img]</a>

I also put together a storage building based on the Turpentine still, and a gatherer who will go out and collect wild flax and hemp...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="986" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot41.jpg.cd3224cd2b3506473050fa7dbbd0832d.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot41.thumb.jpg.34cb02a3d8d075a2ac66a3f8a4a29230.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="987" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot42.jpg.93b5c26d39e86d4239a996b978f73f98.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot42.thumb.jpg.e92743032036da8b2ee09cad0148ec5c.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="988" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot43.jpg.e68e8d38e5395551c5c20c5f8bfbebd5.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot43.thumb.jpg.70b93e97fb72facf13c3f082a494d39d.jpg[/img]</a>

The only problem is my wild hemp and flax don't show up. <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> is there any special trick to getting a new wild resource on the map? I basically copied the onion rsc and changed the name to flax and hemp and the models to the flax and hemp models, then change the gatherer to my model and made it go for flax and hemp rather than the foods. But the gatherer doesn't collect anything, and I can't see any flax or hemp on the map.

Quote:
3 minutes ago, Necora said:

and I can't see any flax or hemp on the map

Did you modify your NaturalResourceTree.rsc file so that the trees will spawn the new resources?  Berries/Roots/Herbs/Onions don't appear by themselves, the trees grow them.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> no, no I didn't. I'll go do that now.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> brilliant thank you! My terrible hemp and flax is now spamming the map haha. And they get collected by the forager. Perfect. Now to add resin and pine boughs (and make those models way better).

hmm is there a limit to how many items a gatherer can find?? or you can just add more and more to the resource rsc??? we could do honey too then.

Quote:
1 hour ago, stiles said:

we could do honey too then.

we could do anything. In my experience its very difficult to get this right, adding more things overpowers the gatherers. If i recall right, we had to nerf some of the vanilla banished spawns (mushrooms, roots etc) because we added ginger and wild seeds. Also, its important never to add a wild grain - that makes all food groups available from the beginning and the people will never get sick.

Personally any future spawning additions for <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or mods im involved with will need to have nerfs and balance, its too easy to break the game.