Maritimes Development Thread

Thanks <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="6338" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/6338-discrepancy/">@Discrepancy</a> I did notice that tag but wasn't sure. 

Dev update...

I'm trying to finish off this set, although it is quite big and keeps getting bigger! While trying to decide on the best route for the gatherer/forester combination, I went through all of the buildings currently made and gave them a touch up. Also made a list of what I have made and what I have left to build.

Currently, in order of the pics below, there are 4 cabins (3 person family, wood house heat), a material storage, a lumber cutter, a pine kiln, a maple boiler, a cider press, a small church, a small school, a blacksmith, a gatherer/forager, a forester, a loom, a tailor, and a turpentine still.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1123" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot191.jpg.6d62a081f33f61e4f212e2d6cc38d1bb.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot191.thumb.jpg.6bffbd13a597e956986251a742471700.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1124" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot192.jpg.b69c1328caa877f6a23099ffee7cce25.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot192.thumb.jpg.fb0b8cb87651e74e7eb13d474b3e8b3b.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1125" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot193.jpg.109a39b6d6e2f2a4d818b0985405657a.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot193.thumb.jpg.7b72609aa2cefa07965f4637fc922e5b.jpg[/img]</a>

The 'town' buildings also come in a coloured flavour...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" data-fileid="1126" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot194.jpg.cf65115ead34c34fb73dd485b2101265.jpg">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot194.thumb.jpg.d12009ce91f210fb7b1e68c8b7a7865c.jpg[/img]</a>

Adjustments - the cabins need changing at the front. I'm going to take away that fence and have the front of the building butt up against the road, with some overhanging porches etc. The gatherer I am not sure about, it depends on what round I go. I might remove the actual hut and make it more into a cache, not sure yet.

To be added - hunter, trapper (model made, just need to decide how to do it), pine lodge (a 3x3 house, family of 4, stone house heat), apiary, possibly more...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot195.jpg.4a1dea542c4cc550618e007fcf0a2b29.jpg" data-fileid="1121">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot195.thumb.jpg.21abbaa2ab03f4f6505b6af14731ba0e.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot196.jpg.0e6694fa31f91d71213e133a5543c10c.jpg" data-fileid="1122">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot196.thumb.jpg.cc5e6308f1a442c47d81a0b5bd73fbe8.jpg[/img]</a>

and keep in mind, the vanilla barn doesnt allow non-edible food

how many different sets have you made so far NECORA?  and here u told us u didnt know how to mod. lol u have done awesome.

Quote:
17 hours ago, Necora said:

I like the idea of using inedible flags, although not sure how to do it. Perhaps you put the food under a different resource limit i.e. making the maple sap a textile rather than a food. But that would give more control.

About the one resource option, that is definitely an idea. I like the idea behind the garden mod that Kid made, although tbh I would have done it slightly different and instead of a sorting stall I would have made it into a mini garden lot that does the same thing, the bannie gets a 'seed vegetable' which is grown in a large crop field, that gets "planted" in the mini garden (a 2x2 tile lot or something) and produces a small range of various vegetables. Then you can have a functioning back yard garden, and can also apply it to a greenhouse. Or instead of having the seed vegetable grown in a crop field, a generic seed can be grown in a larger greenhouse or other building that is then used in the mini gardens and green houses. I think this might be a nice idea actually, it kinda mixes the garden mod of Kid and also the old Greenhouse that I believe <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> made, if I am not mistaken. You grew seeds to plant for the trees etc. as decorations.

So in this case instead of 1 gatherer and forester per resource chain, we have just one of each building that harvests a generic item 'Wild Roots', 'Wild Fruits', 'Wild Saps', 'Wild Materials', 'Wild Goods', which then get processed into their subsequent parts, so wild fruits become blueberries, cranberries, apples etc.?

It is an interesting idea, although we already have 4 types producing 4 items, and I can think of a couple more if we want to add a fur trapper to this type of chain. That will either border on too powerful, or it will reduce the amount of each resource you ultimately end up with because it is split into so many things. You would definitely need to balance the output, so that 10 wild items = 10 random combination of foods. Another slight issue is that if all of these things are being harvested, you really need all of them to be used otherwise they just get feathered (my term for a useless item that takes up all of your resource limit or storage space) (p.s. when I call feathers useless it is just because I personally never set up anything to use them, nothing wrong with them at all!). So you are expecting that the player has the whole thing set up rather than just one of a certain one. 

I do like the original way because you can choose what you gather, unless I do introduce a small gatherer for each type of resource, and they just collect all of that one type. It would have to sit on a very small square to take up less space... maybe a 1x1 or 1x2 with a road. 

Hmm, interesting. I am at a bind now. I can't decide between one or the other. Anyone else have any ideas on this? <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="4" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/4-shockpuppet/">@ShockPuppet</a> or <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> what do you think about this sort of thing and balancing it well? Specific gatherers like what I made or more generic things like Stiles suggest? I can't decide.

This may not really solve the issue for you but I am viewing the situation based on how specialized the gatherer is, if they are part of a production chain that requires resources specific to your mod I would think they are better off being specific to that particular resource. If they are more generalized or perhaps gathering resources found in other large mods, then perhaps they should gather generic items (i.e. those resource supply items/resources shared across various mods). No matter which approach you take I would also suggest that you go with the one that feels more appropriate to what you want the mod to do.

I tested the mod - my observations:

a) pretty white church - but a little small faithful 20 people, other small churches have 60 people [need to put 3 white churches]

b) Crystal Barn - It has 1 "Building supplies" - maybe without the "Building Supplies" do not have to run <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>

c) the lack of a small hospital - [white and flavor ...]

mod is fantastic and all the buildings are wonderful - thanks for the work and the effort on this mod

Quote:
2 hours ago, KevinTheCynic said:

This may not really solve the issue for you but I am viewing the situation based on how specialized the gatherer is, if they are part of a production chain that requires resources specific to your mod I would think they are better off being specific to that particular resource. If they are more generalized or perhaps gathering resources found in other large mods, then perhaps they should gather generic items (i.e. those resource supply items/resources shared across various mods). No matter which approach you take I would also suggest that you go with the one that feels more appropriate to what you want the mod to do.

I think what I am going to do is go ahead with the original plan, then see how that works. It means I have to make a few trees, but that should be OK. I'm also going to make the gatherer and forester lots smaller so they take up less space in the radius. 

Quote:
33 minutes ago, taniu said:

a) pretty white church - but a little small faithful 20 people, other small churches have 60 people [need to put 3 white churches]

b) Crystal Barn - It has 1 "Building supplies" - maybe without the "Building Supplies" do not have to run <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>

c) the lack of a small hospital - [white and flavor ...]

mod is fantastic and all the buildings are wonderful - thanks for the work and the effort on this mod

Thanks! Oh ok, yup I will increase the number of worshipers, I kinda pinched the file from the small Port Royal church and forgot to change the number. Probably the same for the school too! As for building supplies, you should be able to get them through trade, but I do agree and will probably replace it with more lumber and iron in the next update. And yeah, I put a hospital on the list the other day, I overlooked that one!

Cheers

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Maritimes has, like a number of other "small town" mods, become an integral part of my game setup* and I would not consider playing without it anymore (particularly because it adds some extra food collection options and some unique building options, e.g. the Port Royal set) but it is obviously well able to stand on it's own and with the extra buildings you're planning on adding it becomes even more capable as a stand alone mod.

* I can't help myself, I love the variety and the planning options mods like <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>, <abbr title="New Medieval Town">NMT</abbr>, DSSmallVillage, Maritimes and so on give me. With all the talented modders releasing buildings this year and last year, I feel like a kid let loose in a toy shop! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> that's great to hear, thank you. Hopefully the next iteration will not be too far away!

On that note, I have been playing around with the hunter, gatherer, and forester. I decided to see if I could come up with something for each that wasn't a hut or lodge, I feel like I'm over using that building and want some variation and I also really like the smaller forestry lots like the one over at WOB. The problem I find with large buildings as foresters or hunters etc. is that they not only take up valuable radius space, but also you can't really add storage or housing in the space to increase efficiency without sacrificing far too much of that radius. with smaller lots, you can at least fit in one house and a storage barn to make things a bit more efficient, without sacrificing too much radius. I decided to try a forester as a tower, that sits on a 1x1 tile surrounded by road tiles, so 3x3 in total. Then, the other buildings will all be 2x2 corner pieces that you can arrange in a circle surrounding the central tower. I am also making a slightly larger pine house, that will look like a cool lodge (not made yet, next thing to do) so you could add that there too if you really wanted a lodge in there. So far I have the forester tower, a gatherer cache, a forager cache (same building) and a hunting blind.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot197.jpg.80f40b8051186add275bd4b78efcc176.jpg" data-fileid="1137">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot197.thumb.jpg.47986aad0ed60bdb737f3a6b207d7a1e.jpg[/img]</a>

Overall, I think they came out OK. The hunting blind is a bit too chunky and square, it needs to be scaled down a bit (beams made thinner) and given more overhangs. The pine branch disguise texture on the hunting blind also only half of it came out, so I need to duplicate that and extend it.  I also don't like the canvas door of the gatherer cache, you can see the triangles too much. I might have to play around with that texture and also see if I can smooth it a bit without adding too many polys. 

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot198.jpg.3c60a570d1f4a9bc66cc9a915bcda28d.jpg" data-fileid="1138">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot198.thumb.jpg.0a8e9c1de42f16eb335291e03381ec6d.jpg[/img]</a>

What do you think? These (with improvements) or the ones before that consisted of actual buildings? Photo below is of the buildings, but remember there will be lodges to add to the ones above which will act as a house and/or a storage.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot187.jpg.4afea51c99e971549352f86509b41540.jpg" data-fileid="1139">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot187.thumb.jpg.8bdf92cd6fbe2642e35f6cfda0139856.jpg[/img]</a>

I'm really liking the tower and cache "mini-buildings". They're visually appealing and small enough for those tighter spots where you might want to supplement existing forest resource collectors but not replace them completely.

I've adjusted them slightly, much better. Also added another one... I would say guess what it will be but you can't really make out the textures in it. The AO added too much shadow to them.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot199.jpg.46d957f249fb70a81d06a3eea1cf5bf0.jpg" data-fileid="1140">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot199.thumb.jpg.ab191bff7da4e4f1447888a17d7be2e8.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot200.jpg.e388a47806b4dbbf726fb0076fad6c0f.jpg" data-fileid="1141">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot200.thumb.jpg.1a95556c518afc1d441518f4a2105f5c.jpg[/img]</a>

Now I will make another set of houses, slightly larger and warmer, then I have to do the trees, add a few and group them up to spawn specific resources. Then, I'll put it up on here eventually to be tested.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot201.jpg.5e302f8a07d3b3509282d7d2a1b8ea17.jpg" data-fileid="1142">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot201.thumb.jpg.01b67d25c70de0c05de0288a22191624.jpg[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot202.jpg.266225e8a7bb70ae923e8455ee87fc25.jpg" data-fileid="1143">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot202.thumb.jpg.f00033182ef5d5d878299610892184d5.jpg[/img]</a>

Almost there...

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/Screenshot203.thumb.jpg.e9152705097cf7dbe58b78ec3ba7ed09.jpg[/img]