Maritimes Development Thread

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> thank you very much for fixing the bugs [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

The little critters must drive you nuts some days [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Re the barn footprint, that now has the protruding road?  It didn't have it before did it?

Is it at all possible to have it without an external road?  Sounds silly, I know, but I much preferred it without it, farms & Pastures could sit flush with it, but you are the artist, I will leave that to you [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_01/589110e2a0160_Screenshot100farm.jpg.60cf27e5961acc50c8d63bf9c7c793c5.jpg[/img]

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> hmm you know, that is a good question. What do people think about road squares? I'm in two minds, for one I don't like excessive ones on the outside, but then if you're going to show dirt you may as well have it road build-able so it looks good with different road textures. In this case, I kinda put it in there because it helps with placement. Sure pastures look good up against it as is, but then any other buildings will block access. So I am not decided what I prefer to be honest with you. I also get a few random crashes in the mod kit with buildings that have unique road lay outs rather than just the strip, not sure if that is because this mod kit is more unstable though, I can never reproduce them.

So the trees are coming along. I am happy with the white pine, but need to re-do the texture of the spruce and fir because I made them too dense and you can't see the detail. Also need to re-do the trunks on those two because they are far to thick and scaling it back now will result in floating branches.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot213.jpg.01a29ad30b5d9916697f09f6842acbff.jpg" data-fileid="1181">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot213.thumb.jpg.b98ac64167c656837c9353141078cf9d.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3372" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3372-the-pilgrim/">@the Pilgrim</a> I agree with filling out the tops, the only problem is it is very hard to do. The way it arranges the points for the faces to attach to is heavily weighted to the bottom of the tree. I try to even it out a bit, but you don't want it too top heavy. The points also seem to be randomly spread around the tree, and I've been so far unsuccessful in mapping more higher up the trunk. The one above is a product of a lot of pruning and moving around, duplicating, scaling, and rotating. But that in itself is quite tricky because you have to take care with proportions and make sue you don't have random branches floating off the tree somewhere  (happened a few times). This most recent white pine is the best I can come up with for now, I'm already at 283 faces, the guru's here recommend 100-200 for these trees so I'm pushing it a bit! The fir is at 281 and the spruce 279. I'm not sure I can add more at the top and take away from the bottom without ruining the look. It would look much better if you could see faces from both sides, but unfortunately you can't. Faces viewed from behind are invisible in the game, so the branches you see in the image above are only the ones on this side of the model, so only half (or less). If you spin around the model, they will appear and disappear. If you could still see the others from behind then it will look much fuller, it does in blender. In that case, it was actually pretty disappointing getting it in game, it looks much better in blender!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Example.png.7e545dd3da5206ea44eeb3e58e47b4e5.png" data-fileid="1182">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Example.thumb.png.5af6e7c16a9fbc3058c5e2b9039bed30.png[/img]</a>

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Example2.png.a6810f19905c9ef15108565df1b4a86e.png" data-fileid="1183">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Example2.thumb.png.9479eb763aa82d6c49a08fc894097dd0.png[/img]</a>

Just building a new docklands <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> and noticed that the dock pieces, 2 & 3 tile don't have the option of "no rope", only the 1 tile does.  The options are 1 sided rope, 2 sided rope & the covering, but there are none with "0 rope", I've made do with the 1 tile pieces, but wasn't sure if that was by design, or just a whoopsie. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Loving building this, haha!!

Also, the "domesticated animal" you produce, is that your own, or does that share with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>?  I have an issue with the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> shepherd not working, but I wonder if there is a conflict with the domesticated animals in both files.  I have Maritimes listed above <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> so to use the flax for the rope/dory chain.

[img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Update:

We both posted at the same time, haha!

Re the barn, I prefer it without it as the original building has the road, and it fits over the top of it.  So, for me, I would think that the Bannies would access it through the main road, or the pasture/farm.

2 options come to mind (other than one/other):

1)  Have an F variant that will allow the user to choose which one they want to use.

2)  Have a road strip through the lower buildings, either the dairy or stable, that then meets the road strip inside the barn, split it fully, rather than stopping it.

Also, people can lay roads around it, even without the footprint, I do that often [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />  

Just some thoughts, I will work with the final decision [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Thank you again <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>.  

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a> hmm domesticated animal, it depends if BL changed anything about it with the new release. I forgot to ask <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> if I need to change anything with mine? If not, there should not be a problem, they should be the same thing, unless it was changed with the new shepherd. Otherwise, you will have to use <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> above the maritimes so that the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> domesticated animal is loaded first (if that is how it works, I suddenly can't remember). <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> flax and Maritimes flax should be the same thing, so that shouldn't matter on load order.

And re. the dock pieces, yeah I kinda left them out as I figured 1x1 gives you all the flexibility you need. Seemed pointless adding more models when you can do the same thing with the 1x1 pieces... sorry! They can be added in if you are really desperate [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Thank you, no, not desperate, I wasn't sure the intention behind the dock pieces, I will work with 1 x 1 [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I will try playing with the order of the mods, I have been writing in the forum re the Shepherd and see what we can find out about mine be super lazy.

I also added to my previous post, I posted about the barn and my thoughts.  I didn't want to double post, but seems like we're on together. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
1 minute ago, QueryEverything said:

I also added to my previous post, I posted about the barn and my thoughts.  I didn't want to double post, but seems like we're on together. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Just noticed [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Quote:
2 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

I will try playing with the order of the mods, I have been writing in the forum re the Shepherd and see what we can find out about mine be super lazy.

Yup I have had that many a time (not with the shepherd, I've not actually cracked open 1.7 yet). Pop a house in there with it, takes up a bit of radius space but is worth it as a close stop off for food and warmth. If it still doesn't produce, then there is something a miss. 

Quote:
12 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

1)  Have an F variant that will allow the user to choose which one they want to use.

Unfortunately it is not possible to change road lay outs in f-variants, you'll have to have a whole new instance. On the note of F-variants, I was thinking of adding 3 more, one for each colour, where the walls extend to the ground so you can build it without the stable or milk pen. It will overhang still, you can't change tile lay out either for F-variants, but it would be cool up against a hill.

Quote:
13 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

2)  Have a road strip through the lower buildings, either the dairy or stable, that then meets the road strip inside the barn, split it fully, rather than stopping it.

There is already a road going through the stable and milk pen (top to bottom and left to right) but I never thought about making it go all the way through the barn aswell. That is a neat idea, I like it.

I do agree that minimal roads are best, this was a question I was actually going to ask in the main forum but forgot!

Quote:
14 minutes ago, Necora said:

it depends if BL changed anything about it with the new release

The RawMaterial domesticated animal file didn't change at all.  The Wild Shepherd is just a fancy new way to create them. You shouldn't have to change anything.

Alas, AFK again for a little bit.  Will pop in as soon as I have stable connection again.

Thanks <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> for your answers, makes perfect sense!  I'd love to see what you do with the options. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> thanks for stopping by, I've set the shepherd up in a new area, in a foresters outpost where I generate a lot of growth and strip it back once it's all filled in and will see how he goes.

Great to know they are all working together. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

See you on the flipside, thank goodness I love driving, or at least being a passenger in this case. 

on the barn and road idea, u only need a road near doors to access the building. and even then just really 1 door.what may be useful in this case is to make a road on 1 side or the other and the other side can be built up tight against for pastures. that solves both issues in 1.in a modular situtation the upper part  shouldn't need a road at all.

I asked a question in the suggestions forum to see what the general take on road tiles is.

Dev note... I'm finally happy with these trees!

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot214.jpg.b33bce038814d4f7c4fc002716b740a8.jpg" data-fileid="1185">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot214.thumb.jpg.c675ea277c9d1696426b66673d4d20f7.jpg[/img]</a>