Maritimes Development Thread

Hiya,

Just working on the Maritime Shore items and I'm finding myself at a standstill.  I don't seem to be getting enough flax to make rope, it takes many seasons to just make 2 rope, and no dory's are being built.

Am I missing a Flax gatherer?  Am I meant to be growing them from seeds?  

The lumber is fine, I'm using the Port Royal lumber yard, but the rope is where I am coming to a serious halt with.  

Please help??

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/5892966293353_20170202Screenshot58dory.thumb.jpg.591a13986a153b65e5e8e54fb8368090.jpg[/img]

Dory builder needs 2 rope, but it does take a while to build one, with a steady supply of rope you should be getting a few dorys a year. 

I do think the rope maker had a silly amount of flax needed though, like 250 or something I already lowered that for the next update to 175 like <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

Where are you getting flax from? Did I already add a wild version? I thought I left it out but I can see it in the screen shot there. I don't think a gatherer will pick it up, check the gatherer production history. In that case, you need to be growing it. You can purchase seeds from the trader like any other crop (it is the same as <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> flax) or you can trade for it if they come along. 

I've added a wild flax for the next update so you can harvest it with a new gatherer building, although rates are a bit low (crop fields are producing 1600 units at the moment though).

Fabulous, so it isn't just me [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I haven't seen flax seeds yet, I'll build a Seed Trader and get some that way.  Harvesting is extremely slow, from just ground growth.  It's definitely there somewhere because the rope maker is making 2 ropes a 'season', or every other season.  Sometimes there are ropes in the season history, other times nothing.  I have another rope builder, but they don't share the same resource so I can't use the hemp in that process.  I am hoping that when your next update comes out the mixed resources won't be confusing for the workers [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

I'll update here if things change when I finally get seeds [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Here is a nice picture to get your attention...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot218.jpg.dfe1544ed205adac0bc7cceb96e3bbda.jpg" data-fileid="1194">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot218.thumb.jpg.2388925133104f9dbd30ceda8c66ef9d.jpg[/img]</a>

Now that I have your attention, here is a question for you. Basic production outputs or variation? I love the basic cloths mod, where the tailors still use the same ingredients, but instead of different types of clothing, they produce 'Basic Clothing', 'Warm Clothing', and 'Fancy Clothing'. I want to add more clothing options (to vanilla) using the linen and canvas that the looms will produce out of flax and hemp, and am just wondering whether the general consensus is for the basic clothing, or for individual types of cloth like leather coat, wool coat, full livery etc.. Same for tools, basic tools, iron tools, advanced tools? Or would you rather wood tools, stone tools, iron tools, steel tools, etc. etc.

Here is another picture to say thanks for listening...

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot219.jpg.b3edf05d7fa141810197f4e736fe46d8.jpg" data-fileid="1192">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/Screenshot219.thumb.jpg.fa60e70fff9fb91a744899b45d983051.jpg[/img]</a>

Sweet hubba!  This was so awesome that when I loaded it there was a power failure here.  I am not joking either.  Ugh!  Power is up, thankfully.

Seriousness ...  I have an over abundance of feathers & reeds, so I've switched all my tailors who make the survival coat to making survival coat, then I built 4 more of those buildings!!  I start with these buildings as often I don't have wool to make Warm Coats, or Woollen ones. 

I also have an abundance of leather, so start by making the basic leather clothes.  

I like choices in my buildings, I like to progress through what they make as my story & map progresses, so, options are good.  

not sure of the answere u are looking for but i am strongly against changing a term that is already in the game. that has a tendency to conflict with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> or other mods. i think this is better answered by the main modders. they know how <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> is coded. i have seen others name something as flax and it caused conflicts. there flax was pocessed or wild flax but tagged as flax.confuses the game. guess the best way to say it is u don't want to have a different product with the same term as another product. have u checked out the blacksmith mod?? it gave us wood and stone tools. added to the rough,steel,hardened etc of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

QUERY,i leave the dock to make survival coats and then trade those.leave a few making hide coats,to use the leather. if u get overloaded on reeds more than feathers ,switch to firebundles and burn those. main reason for all that is to not get overstocked and lose storage space.once i have over 500 bonemeal i use a greenhouse to keep that in check also.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> In regards to clothing, I have mods that include both versions of what you mentioned above but I personally prefer those that give individual clothing simply because I sometimes find resources for one running low but I can continue to supply the town because I have several tailors producing different types. I'm not keen to rely on tailors that produce just "basic", "warm" and "fancy" because a shortage in a few resources halts all clothing production.

While this means a bit of management on my part to get the resources flowing again, if I have diversified tailors, a drop in resources for one clothing item, say hide coats due to a lack of leather, doesn't stop the production of woolen coats. A reduction from one tailor might last a season or more but the others will take up the slack and this way I don't run into a critical shortage of clothing very often. For example, while in the beginning of a new town I am often short of leather but I'm usually finding enough wild flax (tanypredator's mod) to allow "linen clothes" to be made to supplement the "hide coats". Rather than centralize all clothing into three types, I like to diversify so that one or two problems in gathering resources won't break the production of that particular item especially in the early game when I don't often seem to have any crops suitable for clothes making.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="8298" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/8298-stiles/">@stiles</a> the flax you are talking about does that because the template file is named differently to that of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> (remember flax is not vanilla so there is no 'right' or 'wrong' way to introduce it to the game, it is a personal choice of the modder). There are two files in the template folder which are key here. 1 is a natural resource, so in my case 'NaturalResourceFlax.rsc'. This tells the game what will grow wild, and it also directs the game to the raw material which this natural resource is turned into when harvested. <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> should not have this because there is no wild flax, but it will have a crop version. The other file is that raw material, so in my case 'RawMaterialFlax.rsc'. You can name the natural resource what ever you want, but as long as the raw material flag is named the same then there should be no issues. If, for example, you call the raw material 'RawMaterialWildFlax.rsc' (which is what I presume the wild flax mod at WOB does) then the game doesn't get confused, but just introduces a new instance of flax so you get two instead of one. In the UI you might have them both called 'Flax' but it is the name of the file that matters for functionality. The issue here is that the raw material file is also what is referenced by production buildings, so any building that needs 'RawMaterialFlax.rsc' to produce linen, will not take 'RawMaterialWildFlax.rsc' because even if they are called the same thing in the string table/UI, they are two different resources with a unique file name. In that sense, none of my additions should conflict with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> because I use the same file names, they will just over ride each other when the game is loaded. That is why I am also trying to keep production numbers and value the same too, although I might have to change a few things if these gatherers can't be balanced the way it is. So it isn't really the name you see in game which is important, that is just what you see and doesn't impact functionality, it is the files underneath.

As for the clothing, <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="9529" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/9529-queryeverything/">@QueryEverything</a>, the production chains and ingredients needed will remain the same, only the name of the clothing would change. It is like the building supplies, you have a range of different combinations of raw materials, all producing the same product, building supplies. Building supplies is the same regardless of what you used to make it. The same would be done of clothing, so you would have the option of using leather, wool, reeds+feathers, canvas, linen etc., but instead of producing a separate new clothing instance for each one (leather coat, wool coat, survival coat) they would all produce 'basic clothing' (or warm, fancy depending on what was used). The trade values will be the same, as clothing trade value is in three categories anyway, despite the different types. You also will not get changes in production rates that you mentioned <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="314" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/314-kevinthecynic/">@KevinTheCynic</a> because under the hood it is all the same, just naming them for the category rather than individual instances.

The reason I like this is because for me it is too much micromanaging for trade etc. when if you want to trade away clothing, you have to go and find all the different types you have, rather than just being able to add one type for all. In some places, food, I love the diversity, but here it is a pain. The secondary reason for this is because the clothing chain in game, IMO, could be much, much better. For example, you make a range of coats, what about the rest? Are the Bannies all wandering through the snow in nothing but a leather coat? Do they not deserve pants or under garments? What about hats and shoes? I know these exist in some mods, but they have no function as clothing, just for trade. It would be much better to incorporate a seamstress and a cobbler, etc., then the clothing is not 'leather coats' or 'wool coats', but made up of a range of things, like you have leather coat + linen undergarments = warm cloths. Add hats and shoes for more. This, however, is something that needs to be thought of more, so for the time being 'basic clothing' etc. is a better solution than just coats.

your explanation to coats being set to clothing makes sence. it is 1 of the game limits,as we can't make pants or shoes or boots.  your idea is a good workaround for that. i have no problem with it.   

yes modders can do as they wish,i just ment it is nice to have some uniformity so not to cause conflicts or confusion. i had a tailor that said it used flax to make clothes,but it was set to wild flax.when my game ran out of clothes,then i realized why. the tailor couldn't use the flax i had,so he made no clothes. due to me trying to push the north mod and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> in 1 game,i have buildings that wont work. or i have to be picky as to what they can produce. when i build it and set the production, the terms are different so i can see that i don't have certain materials.if they were labeled the same as <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> ,then i would be confused. i ment no disrespect to TANDY, she designs and fills a void for ppl who don't use <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>.

i like your idea as to why you want to put everything under 1 mod. i do agree with that overall. i just thought it woulda been easier for you otherwise.plus it gives us finished mods faster.lol.i do wish somehow the game let a different modder have a tool bar spot. DS and RED have done that. some buildings the game is good at grouping like the storages and houses. some it isn't.

the game i am on now,i am trying to build every mod in 1 map. using the north and <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> together plus other mods.i got to yr 35 and crashed out. couldn't figure out why/ after seeveral days of trying to find a glitch,i started over. am now at yr 50. whatever the glitch was a couldn't force the game to do it again at the same time. if i went back a save point the game would go a yr or 2 past where it fatal errored and then it would do it again. so at the moment i try not to load more mods.if my game doesn't glitch again ,it might be 200 yrs or so.lol.