Maritimes Development Thread

Quote:
9 minutes ago, stiles said:

query,have you tried to make ropes via the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> dock set and see if necora's fishery will take the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> rope??

It should do, the only difference between the two ropes is that you can use Reeds to make the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> rope (at least in their dock set), but my rope maker doesn't use reeds because I've not added them to the mod. Apart form that all of the costs of rope should be the same between the two mods. I've tried to do this with any resource I add, make sure they work at least with <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> if not with everything else too.

Quote:
10 minutes ago, stiles said:

i was playng with the PR set and trying to figure out what the doors behind the cannon building were for. placed near a fence the doors is weird they don't go nowhere. i see necora designed them to be behind houses.

Yup they were for going on the houses. They line up quite nicely with them, although I did realize that it is a bit odd if you don't want to put it next to a house! I think I will add an F-variant for them without the doors so you can use them elsewhere and it not look out of place.

Quote:
12 minutes ago, stiles said:

hadn't even considered  a roofline. not simple

The port royal set is a mix of how to and how not to do this. The houses for example, line up nicely with the buildings below (except the corner houses, there is a bit of roof showing there). if you look, you'll notice that the top level overhangs by about 20 cm wider on each side to hide the whole roof below. The dry storage above the material warehouse however is not as clean. From the front it is good, but from behind there is a skirt of roof sticking out where I didn't extend it. I'll have to go and do that at some point. 

Now, to make the windows etc. look good on a ghosted lower level, so they don't show through the building below if one is built there, I'd have to extend the upper level houses to the ground, set back another 20 cm or so. This will result in a relatively thin lower 'ghost' level so that it is hidden when the lower building is added. However, in the PR set, I think this might actually look quite good, especially if you add some nice beams and things in there. It lends itself nicely to medieval/tudor style townhouses which tend to be quite top heavy over hanging the streets below.

I do like the idea though, so I will try and add that in possibly for the full update, it depends how much work is involved.

I also along those lines want to do the same thing for the crystal cliffs barn. In this case, it will not be set back or anything, the walls will just be extended straight down on the overhanging section. I'll add that in as 3 more F-variants, I can't do it on the current ones because you can see through the stables below into the inside, otherwise you'd just have walls in the windows. But I do want to do it as more F-variants so you can increase the usage of the barns if you don't want the stable or milk pen that goes with them. Then you can build them on hills or hide a stock pile beneath the over hang - one thing I hate about banished is the stock piles. I end up with them everywhere and they are ugly! Thank <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> for the storage buildings they added, and <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3-kralyerg/">@Kralyerg</a> for those awesome ghost coverings. I'd like to make a pine set of those at some point for some variation.

Oh and another thing is that I don't know how to make true ghost buildings, only over hanging ones. Or at least, everything will have to have a 1x1 tile or road tile. i could make a floating house over 1 tile.

Code:
    CreatePlacedDescription createplaced
{
    PathBits _placeBits = Normal | Obstacle;
        int _width = 0;
    int _height = 0;
    int _footprintRotation = 0;
        PathBits _placeBitArray
    [
        Normal | Obstacle,
    ]
    String _placeBitmap =
         "";
        bool _addOnCreate = false;
    bool _neverAdd = true;
    bool _addToOverhead = false;
    bool _ignoreZones = true;
        ComponentDescription _allowAndRemove = "Template/Clear.rsc";
}
    MapDescription map
{
    PathType _pathType = Normal;
    Color _mapColor = 0xFF545454;
    bool _addOnCreate = false;
    bool _neverAdd = true;
    bool _addToOverhead = false;
    bool _ignoreZones = true;
}

there are times the barn extending down over the lower would be handy for sure. i wonder if most players would perfer to see the lower piece more thou. guess there is a line between what looks good in game as opposed to the player bein able to see where things are. you is right with a hill or if used stand alone. the other thing that makes it tricky is trying to click on the lower part to check productivity. i did something like that once. i set the meat locker over another storage,don't remeber why but it was hard to find the other storage to clikc on it.

the reason i asked on the rope was you all having differences with flax. i thought that would have came from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> unless you were changing the in field textures. i do like the idea of adding things to the mod so it can be used without <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. some players get overwhelmed with all that <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> has.

Quote:
24 minutes ago, stiles said:

there are times the barn extending down over the lower would be handy for sure. i wonder if most players would perfer to see the lower piece more thou. guess there is a line between what looks good in game as opposed to the player bein able to see where things are. you is right with a hill or if used stand alone. the other thing that makes it tricky is trying to click on the lower part to check productivity. i did something like that once. i set the meat locker over another storage,don't remeber why but it was hard to find the other storage to clikc on it.

That is true, I never thought about that. The game reads the edges of the model, so if it is over hanging something to hide it then you are right, you won't be able to click on the piece beneath, only the overhanging building. Perhaps I'll have to leave some open doors and windows or something that you can see through and are able to click on what ever is hidden inside, thanks for the heads up!

Quote:
25 minutes ago, stiles said:

the reason i asked on the rope was you all having differences with flax. i thought that would have came from <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> unless you were changing the in field textures. i do like the idea of adding things to the mod so it can be used without <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr>. some players get overwhelmed with all that <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> has.

Yup the issues with flax were my bad. They were working fine, then I changed something in the template file before uploading the beta test and it had unintended consequences. Plus, my crop flax was not named the same as the <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> crop flax so you had two versions, even though they gave out the exact same flax resource. There are so many files in the list of <abbr title="Colonial Charter">CC</abbr> that I often miss something when checking through to make sure I got it all!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> thank you for that code! You are awesome. Now I can make the lobster traps into decorations for the dock set! And buoys, and nets, and buckets, and ropes, and boats, and and and....

Quote:
56 minutes ago, Necora said:

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="3183" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/3183-ketchup/">@Ketchup</a> thank you for that code! You are awesome. Now I can make the lobster traps into decorations for the dock set! And buoys, and nets, and buckets, and ropes, and boats, and and and....

hahaha welcome !!!

GO AHEAD !!! with all your dreams [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

So a bit of an update.

I had plans, big plans, but I only have small minutes. I wanted to get the next release out by the end of this week, with the above mentioned bug fixes and any more changes that need doing, plus some more buildings to finish the pine set (houses, town hall, and a hospital).

But alas, time is getting the better of me and I don't think I'll get around to it this week. I've done the bug fixes, just had limited time to model. So instead, I'll update the Beta test in the next couple of days, and give you all more time to try out the fixed flax and find any other bugs.

In the mean time, I have done a couple of little buildings. The first is a new tailor for this set. I'm forever trying to increase the diversity in the set, and figured I've been over using the same base buildings too much (hence taking the buildings away from the forester and gatherers etc.). So I decided to give the tailor a new building. It isn't massively different, the general shape is the same, just has a couple of extra features to break up the repetition a bit if you put all of these small industry buildings together.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/NewTailor.jpg.44a11da42d844b434fefafe004cbeb70.jpg" data-fileid="1252">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/NewTailor.thumb.jpg.3b3f03fa696fadc7f9a5d9605070ce9b.jpg[/img]</a>

The second building is something new. It is a small spinner (which is still a work in progress), that will make twine from hemp or flax and yarn from wool. The twine will be used for upcoming changes to the dock sets, it will be used along with wood to make nets, lobster pots, creels, etc. These will probably actually be just 'nets' or 'traps' for simplifying the production chain. I'm not sure exactly how I will implement it yet, that is coming after the pine set. Oh, and I've not decided what yarn will be used for, maybe another type of clothing. We'll see, I have ideas for clothing in the future. The difference between the spinner and the loom is that while they use the same raw materials, the spinner makes cordage type outputs (smaller, less heavy duty than rope but still very important in colonial times) and the loom makes sheets of material, canvas, linen etc. I think the twine can be added to the sail maker later on too, and also added with pine pitch to make cordage (or as part of 'naval stores') to make boats or boat parts. We'll see! So much still to be decided.

<a class="ipsAttachLink ipsAttachLink_image" href="<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/PineSpinner.jpg.327047c8d492a1b84272511b8669e099.jpg" data-fileid="1251">[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_02/PineSpinner.thumb.jpg.dd8a1d91b7d199f87d34580a0cce4ffe.jpg[/img]</a>

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a> Great stuff! Excellent showcase of your creativity and skill, I can't wait to get my grubby little mitts on these new additions!

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>

*squeaks

So happy [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  It's all looking terrific!!  May I please ask 1 favour (teeny tiny one), may I please have an F-Variant of the spinner with a wall plaque of Shawn (as in Shorn, cos he was a Ram [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />)  & Tilly (ShawnTilda, Tilly, Tilda etc), who are my pet lawn mowers.  Alas Shawn was killed in June last year by a pack of dogs (or a fox), and we only have Tilda now, who is an awesome, happy Ewe. [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" /> Her full name is Matilda.  

Perhaps someone could possibly do a double gate/arch (like in the Westerns), with their names on it, as a ghosted road decoration to create a gate to my sheep pen??  

But, back to this ...  love the new images, and please, take your time with the build, I'm happy with this current one pushing & pulling it, getting used to it.  Very happy to wait for an unrushed product, and take the stress from you a bit [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />