Maritimes Development Thread

A new wonderful improvement for the aesthetic of the game <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>! [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/58462f70003fe_EmojisApplebyKawaiiDarkToxic553.png[/img]

I'll try it!

Thanks all, looking forward to some feedback and ideas of things to add to it/improve it. As for the shadow <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> it is because it is a mesh rather than just the points. I don't know, is there a way to stop something from casting a shadow? It stuck out to me at first, but once you decorate with some reeds and things, it is less noticeable.

I had some time to make another storage, a dry storage loft. Stores clothing, textiles, fabrics, crafted, precious, and misc items. Only a 2x1 footprint, but over hangs quite a way so you can place other things under it such as a stock pile or smaller storage. In the last screenshot I've placed the food cellar and tool shed beneath it.

I am trying to decide, what colour schemes should I use for these storage pieces? I've used just the ones from the Pine Set so far. Would people want more F-variants, or perhaps two toolbar buttons one for colour and one for schemes with brown, black, grey, orange? I can't decide how much variation is too much variation!

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Screenshot16.jpg.b40332f0a7c2339b8c8f6ac69fa4fadd.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Screenshot17.jpg.668293fd3723517e849b869685339af2.jpg[/img]

[img]<fileStore.core_Attachment>/monthly_2017_04/Screenshot18.jpg.6fbf6a8ca9e5d64233f2b29e20188458.jpg[/img]

Last post, then bed [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />

Loving the new storage, love the colours.  I would possibly, if another F-variant option was available, colours to match the PEI fisheries please, these would look great within the fishing village, sitting up on the little cliffs [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  (Ok, can't build on cliffs yet, but you know what I mean [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" /> )

Quote:
6 minutes ago, QueryEverything said:

I would possibly, if another F-variant option was available, colours to match the PEI fisheries please

Yeah I was thinking that too. Perhaps also throw in a black version as well to match the Port Royal set.

and .... one to match the F-variants in the Crystal Cliffs barns, mini-barns [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/smile.png[/img]/emoticons/smile@2x.png 2x" title=":)" width="20" />  the red & whites [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Now ...  bed ... haha.  night [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/biggrin.png[/img]/emoticons/biggrin@2x.png 2x" title=":D" width="20" />

Quote:
1 hour ago, Necora said:

Thanks all, looking forward to some feedback and ideas of things to add to it/improve it. As for the shadow <a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> it is because it is a mesh rather than just the points. I don't know, is there a way to stop something from casting a shadow? It stuck out to me at first, but once you decorate with some reeds and things, it is less noticeable.

I had this problem on my grasses, they were casting quite big shadows which looked really ugly. In the end I discovered that the shadow is controled by the rsDepth renderstate. Below is what my file looks like, I've put notes at the relevant pieces. It's based on the FoliageMaterial.rsc.

Code:
Material resource
{
    MaterialType _type = Opaque;
    VideoProgram _passes
    [
        "normal"
        "depth"
        "reflect"
    ]
}

VideoProgram normal
{
    VertexLayout _vertexLayout = "MeshLayout\ModelBillboardLayout.rsc";
    VertexProgram _vertexProgram = "Material\Opaque\OpaqueMaterial.srsl:Foliage_vs";
    PixelProgram _pixelProgram = "Material\Opaque\OpaqueMaterial.srsl:Foliage_ps";
    RenderState _renderState = "rs";
}

VideoProgram depth
{
    VertexLayout _vertexLayout = "MeshLayout\ModelBillboardDepthLayout.rsc";
    VertexProgram _vertexProgram = "Material\Opaque\OpaqueMaterial.srsl:FoliageDepth_vs";
    PixelProgram _pixelProgram = "Material\Opaque\OpaqueMaterial.srsl:DepthAlpha_ps";
    RenderState _renderState = "rsDepth";
}

VideoProgram reflect : "normal"
{
    //RenderState _renderState = "Material\Opaque\OpaqueMaterial.rsc:rsRefNone";
}

//NOTE: Originally foliageMaterial.rsc links to opaqueMaterial.rsc for the rs and rsdepth renderStates.
//I just copied these from there so I could play around with them.

RenderState rs
{
    AlphaBlend _alphaBlend
    {
        bool _enable = false;
        Blend _source = One;
        Blend _dest = Zero;
        BlendOp _op = Add;
        ColorWrite _writeMask = Red | Green | Blue | Alpha;
    }
    Depth _depth
    {
        bool _enable = true;
        bool _write = true;
        Compare _compare = LessEqual;
        float _bias = 0.000000;
        float _slopeBias = 0.000000;
    }
    Stencil _stencil
    {
        bool _enable = false;
        bool _twosided = false;
        Compare _compare = Greater;
        uchar _ref = 0;
        StencilOp _fail = Keep;
        StencilOp _zFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _pass = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsZFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsPass = Keep;
    }
    CullMode _cullMode = None;        //NOTE: originally set to BackFaces.
    CullMode _fillMode = Solid;
}

RenderState rsDepth
{
    AlphaBlend _alphaBlend
    {
        bool _enable = false;
        Blend _source = One;
        Blend _dest = Zero;
        BlendOp _op = Add;
        ColorWrite _writeMask = Red | Green | Blue;
    }
    Depth _depth
    {
        bool _enable = false;        //NOTE: This is the only change for the shadow, originally set to true.
        bool _write = true;
        Compare _compare = LessEqual;
        float _bias = 0.0001000;
        float _slopeBias = 0.000100;
    }
    Stencil _stencil
    {
        bool _enable = false;
        bool _twosided = false;
        Compare _compare = Greater;
        uchar _ref = 0;
        StencilOp _fail = Keep;
        StencilOp _zFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _pass = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsZFail = Keep;
        StencilOp _tsPass = Keep;
    }
    CullMode _cullMode = None;        //NOTE: originally set to BackFaces.
    CullMode _fillMode = Solid;
}

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="11115" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/11115-bartender/">@Bartender</a> cheers, I'll have a go at them. Although, I think it does add a nice bit of contrast when used with other things. We'll see what the feedback is as more people use it/post screen shots.

Also, talking about material, how good are you at going through the material codes to modify things? I can kinda do the .rsc, but the .srsl or what ever is a totally different language to me and I have no idea. What I would like to do is make a material that fades with the seasons, like billboard, but doesn't face the camera and doesn't change colour in seasons. I simply want a material to disappear in winter. What would be even cooler, is if we can then make a material that appears in winter, and disappears during the summer.

I was thinking of making some 'paintable' water squares at ground level and perhaps -.5m, so that you can paint lakes/rivers/streams/ponds on the map, where ever you want. It would be neat to have two textures, 1 a nice blue water for the summer that disappears in the winter to reveal a nice ice texture beneath. I think that would be pretty cool.

you is a busy beaver. i see you have learned to skip rocks,lol.i am amazed at how much you have changed the game in such a short time. i wonder what off the wall idea you will come up with next? while you are making the list of future fixes,please rememeber to fix the black cannons. i do miss my forts.

<a contenteditable="false" data-ipshover="" data-ipshover-target="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/&do=hovercard" data-mentionid="5518" href="<___base_url___>/index.php?/profile/5518-necora/">@Necora</a>Those sound like very cool ideas! I don't even come close to understanding everything that's going on in the .srsl files, but I got close enough to manage to adapt the BillBoard one to my wishes. Making a material that doesn't face camera and doesn't change colour is definitely possible, I'll work on that. I have thought about the possibility of reversing the timing of the disappearance too, but I haven't really tried it yet as I don't understand that part of the code well enough. I will give it a go as well though, who knows, I might get lucky [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

I got the no-camera-face, no-colour-change working! I dubbed it the SeasonalMaterial. Just put these in your Material folder, reference the SeasonalMaterial.rsc, and you're good to go. I noticed that new .srsl files generally make my toolkit .exe crash when closing the program after loading them the first time, but not after. It doesn't give me any problems when the package is built though, so it's just FYI [img]<fileStore.core_Emoticons>/emoticons/wink.png[/img]/emoticons/wink@2x.png 2x" title=";)" width="20" />.

I didn't have a go at the reversed one yet, I'll see when I have time for that.

<a class="ipsAttachLink" href="<___base_url___>/applications/core/interface/file/attachment.php?id=2063" data-fileid="2063">SeasonalMaterial.zip</a>

Sidenote: I didn't change anything to the constants.srsl and lighting.srsl by the way, those are just prerequisites.